Long Elias Interview Today (1/25)

Aglets

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he's decided that he isn't willing to pay the prospect price for an upgrade and that he's going to pick up a one year stopgap free agent pitcher.

Yeah the numbers in the values of the pieces being demanded for a worthy starter are not making them feel comfortable.   You do a Bedard or a Glenn Davis trade and you shoot yourself in the foot for a long time and maybe get fired.   Elias probably wouldnt get fired over that after doing so great drafting but you never know with this ownership.

Lorenzen does not seem like a match unless something strange happens.

1) Lorenzen wants two years.   Not happening with the O's.  One year with an option is the best Elias will do for a 5th starter.   That doesn't sound like a big difference but it is a difference.

2) Lorenzen wants to start.  The O's have 5 starters that are better than Lorenzen.   Wells may not be good in the 2nd half but he will be much better than Lorenzen in the first half.   Lorenzen would have to agree to go to the pen to begin the season and he doesn't want to do that.  He feels he has earned a spot in a rotation and the salary that goes with starting.

JMO

Edited by wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

1) Lorenzen wants two years.   Not happening with the O's.  One year with an option is the best Elias will do for a 5th starter.   That doesn't sound like a big difference but it is a difference.

2) Lorenzen wants to start.  The O's have 5 starters that are better than Lorenzen.   Wells may not be good in the 2nd half but he will be much better than Lorenzen in the first half.   Lorenzen would have to agree to go to the pen to begin the season and he doesn't want to do that.  He feels he has earned a spot in a rotation and the salary that goes with starting.

JMO

Back end Starters start to become real accommodating when it gets into February and they are still looking for a job.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Back end Starters start to become real accommodating when it gets into February and they are still looking for a job.

Starter prices have been very high this off season.   Paxton who projects to pitch a half a season got 13M.

I agree with you about contracts normally dropping in Feb but this does not seem like a normal year and there are so many teams looking for pitching.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

JMO

The Orioles wouldn’t sign Lorenzen unless it was the idea that he starts about 30 times.   I’m sure he wants a two year contract.  He only got one last year and I don’t see anyone beating down his door.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Starter prices have been very high this off season.   Paxton who projects to pitch a half a season got 13M.

I agree with you about contracts normally dropping in Feb but this does not seem like a normal year and there are so many teams looking for pitching.

Starter prices are almost always very high.

Elias and Co knew this going in.

Lets face it, we are going to be essentially the same team as last year playing against a much better division. Not to be a Debbie Downer but I highly doubt we win the division and probably fighting for a wild card.

I said it last year that we needed to take advantage of our situation but Elias and Angelos decided to sit on their hands and we’re doing the same thing this offseason. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, interloper said:

At the end of the day if Elias does nothing, he will at least have NOT signed Adam Frazier. 

#silverlinings

it would not surprise me in the least if they signed some lefty vet bat to be this years Adam Frazier. 

20 minutes ago, Os4days said:

Lets face it, we are going to be essentially the same team as last year playing against a much better division. Not to be a Debbie Downer but I highly doubt we win the division and probably fighting for a wild card.

I said it last year that we needed to take advantage of our situation but Elias and Angelos decided to sit on their hands and we’re doing the same thing this offseason. 

How is the division better so far?   Boston?  Toronto?  TB?   How are those 3 teams significantly better than last year?

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How is the division better so far?   Boston?  Toronto?  TB?   How are those 3 teams significantly better than last year?

I agree on Tampa and Toronto, but I think the Red Sox have definitely improved their offense quite a bit. Getting full seasons out of Story and Duran should give them a boost and I think O'Neil and Grissom are better than the offensive players they lost and/or traded. I acutalll like their lineup quite a bit. Their starting pitching though, not so much. 

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I agree on Tampa and Toronto, but I think the Red Sox have definitely improved their offense quite a bit. Getting full seasons out of Story and Duran should give them a boost and I think O'Neil and Grissom are better than the offensive players they lost and/or traded. I acutalll like their lineup quite a bit. Their starting pitching though, not so much. 

Tampa should get better just by being healthier.