Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I wonder how the feel about it. Probably nervous with new ownership. Will they still have jobs. How will they be evaluated. Roch can’t mail it in every day anymore, I guess. But I shouldn’t lump them together. Steve is pretty good. He talks with Jim Callis a lot and makes an effort in his articles. 

Roch did post this in the comments of his latest article 

Hey friends, just an FYI, and spread the word cause I know it's late, that I won't be filing tomorrow. The streak is over. Won't go into details but the fact that I was unable to file a story tonight has led me to take a little break here. Will reconnect soon.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

What is going crazy with the payroll mean? Comparing our current spending to markets like CIN, DET, TB, SD or teams like LAD or NYY? 

No matter which of those groups you choose to use our spending would have to increase significantly to catch up. We have literally spent NOTHING over the last FOUR YEARS ranking 29th or last in the sport! While that was fairly acceptable from 2020- 2022 it became apparent last offseason, last trade deadline, and this offseason that something was seriously wrong. No functional organization (not even the very cheap Rays) punts on opportunities to improve a championship caliber team the way we have done by literally DOING NOTHING.

If we were to just operate at a competent/functional level of spending and do things like extend young stars and supplement our already ultra talented organization with outside pieces/real players who can help (not Fuji/Flaherty) we have a legit shot at a World Series or two.

Did you read throughout the thread, or did you just see my post and respond? 

There have been people calling for $150-180 million. There's been people saying they should extend Adley and Gunnar before ST.

There's a lot of ways to improve what is already a great team, but I don't think doubling the payroll will be one of them...at least not in the next couple of years. Once again, everything I post is my opinion, but I don't think a group of billionaires bought the team to waste money. 

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah I expect him to make some kind of profit, but he's not depending on the O's to foot the bill for his ultra rich lifestyle ala John Angelos. 

Exactly this. Most owners don’t subsidize their teams, at least over the long run.  But there’s a difference between not subsidizing a team and taking off large profits, which the Angelos family has been doing for the last 4-5 years.   And by the way, I’ve been fine with the modest spending, I just want the team to be able to spend when the time is right.   That time is about here.   

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And by the way, I’ve been fine with the modest spending, I just want the team to be able to spend when the time is right.   That time is about here.   

100% agree…lock up homegrown studs and subsidize as needed.

19 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Roch did post this in the comments of his latest article 

Hey friends, just an FYI, and spread the word cause I know it's late, that I won't be filing tomorrow. The streak is over. Won't go into details but the fact that I was unable to file a story tonight has led me to take a little break here. Will reconnect soon.

Wow.  How long was his posting streak?  A long, long time, I know.

15 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Sasaki will be subject to IFA bonus caps if posted this year, so he was already within our budget regardless of ownership.  However, his decision won’t be driven primarily by money (since it won’t vary much across teams) and he’s likely to prefer a west coast team.

Rubinstein will help with spending capacity and risk tolerance, but the market is still what it is and I don’t see them going much beyond $150MM in the near term if even that high.  Further, even with a more accommodating budget constraint, I expect Elias to remain fairly cautious when it comes to spending efficiency and managing future payroll flexibility/optionality.

Here's where I get fuzzy, but I believe Roki Sasaki would still be IFA bonus cap managed for Opening Day 2025, and just clarifying that is what you meant.     He recently ended his holdout and agreed to a 2024 contract with Chiba Lotte.

Granted its more of enjoying a feel good moment.    The global talent distribution bouncing ball to follow will be are Ohtani and Yamamoto's coattails long enough he really only thinks about the Dodgers (sorry, New York Clubs).     All of the plausible candidates to earn $30mm in 2030 are already in the Orioles org.

I'm most interested in Elias's reaction - not that we will get any direct comments. Roch and Steve are not relavent to my concerns at the moment. Sure, I'd like to see more money spent on the team but WISELY. I trust Elias and Co. to do that. For me, first order of business is assurance that Elias & Co. remain. 

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Wow.  How long was his posting streak?  A long, long time, I know.

Apparently Roch started his posting streak on August 1, 2008.  If he doesn't have a blog post today the streak will end at 5660 days.

Which is more than the sum of Cal's streak of games played (2632) and Ernie Tyler's streak of consecutive games as clubhouse attendant (3890).

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias and Boras are already cozy, IMO.   We just don’t buy his guy but I think Boras likes and respects Mike.

I didn't know Adley was a Boras client.  This makes all the extensions we are hoping for way less likely.  Reasonable extensions for Boras clients are also known as record setting extensions.