Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

No 4am blog from Roch. 

Crickets from MASN.

Watching MASN and reading the blogs from their employees i would sometimes feel like i was watching the old twilight zone episode where the 6-year-old child with God like power had all the adults terrorized and they couldn't express how they really felt.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orioles5258 said:

Crickets from MASN.

Watching MASN and reading the blogs from their employees i would sometimes feel like i was watching the old twilight zone episode where the 6-year-old child with like power had all the adults terrorized and they couldn't express how they really felt.  

This is kind of a sensitive issue for MASN to report so I wouldnt expect any breaking news there. There will be new MASN ownership for Roch but he still has to be respectful of John in the meantime.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Hi Cap-

I think middle of the pack in payroll is a good goal-don't forget that revenue is up 40-50% from that period depending on how you take the snapshot.  

I don't think the owners can move on this by the upcoming owners meetings-new ownership has to be vetted and approved-unless it is fast-tracked to get rid of the Angelos family.

I personally think ME has known about this for some time and has been able to plan accordingly-that's the reason he hasn't left for a better opportunity.  I'm not sure how they would handle FA signings as any large signing bonuses or payments would likely be delayed.  The WFT ran into a similar issue where singing bonuses were delayed by a couple months.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that a lot of that work had already been done.

You don't leak something like this unless you know you're going to get approved.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Yea my only worry is that it holds up any thing the O's can do for the rest of this offseason

Free agent wise?    No

Trade wise?   I personally think so.  New ownership might have different values on players they want to keep or are okay with trading. Now, this is not to say they couldn’t have told JA their thoughts but I personally think this is a hurdle . 

extension wise?   Yep.   Not gonna extend a player and dish out $100+ m til the dust settles.  

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

By Spotrac the Orioles 2024 payroll is just over $80M. The median is $147M between Arizona and Colorado. Even if the Orioles just return to the 2012-2018 late Peter Angelos, post-Nats days of spending and are middle of the pack, there’s capacity to nearly double the payroll.

Will be very interesting to see what timetable this deal gets approved on and if it affects the rest of this offseason. Every single player the Orioles have the opportunity to drop big money on now - Gunnar, Adley and Holliday as extensions, Snell and Montgomery as FAs, and Cease as trade & extend - are Boras clients. I imagine it’s going to be very hard to find deals that Boras will agree to that Elias/Sig will run through the computer as positive value. 

If Rubenstein comes in the door wanting to make a splash he’s going to have to get cozy with Boras right away, and that could end up testing Elias’ better judgment. But the Orioles still have many years before their core starts to get expensive and now is the time to start spending. 

This is good/fair analysis and I agree with all of it, but I think the hope is that ME won't have to stamp his seal of approval from a value perspective if ownership is willing to write some checks. That way, Elias and Sig can focus on how a guy will perform, not his dollar value.

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

MASN isn't going to have any commentary on this until it's official, obviously. 

I am excited for when the dust settles to have all the beat guys come out and let the cat out of the bag on how bad Angelos really was

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So what happens next offseason if Elias wants to trade Mullins and Hays, while letting Santander leave in FA?  

I'm confused by this question. Was Angelos preventing him for doing that? Have we signed any significant FAs? Have we won a World Series? ... What is the context to that curiosity? 

20 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Hi Cap-

I think middle of the pack in payroll is a good goal-don't forget that revenue is up 40-50% from that period depending on how you take the snapshot.  

I don't think the owners can move on this by the upcoming owners meetings-new ownership has to be vetted and approved-unless it is fast-tracked to get rid of the Angelos family.

I personally think ME has known about this for some time and has been able to plan accordingly-that's the reason he hasn't left for a better opportunity.  I'm not sure how they would handle FA signings as any large signing bonuses or payments would likely be delayed.  The WFT ran into a similar issue where singing bonuses were delayed by a couple months.

I agree with this, but we just don’t know right now how advanced the approval process is. This deal has been rumored for months and I don’t think it’s a coincidence it becomes confirmed public knowledge right before the owner’s meeting. I’m not expecting it to get full seal of approval next week and have Rubenstein officially take the reins immediately, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case.

There’s also the weird dynamic of the lease negotiations that probably kept this more under wraps publicly but not necessarily behind the scenes amongst the owners.

I haven’t seen any articles say anything one way or the other in terms of timeline and I think that’s because reporters are still trying to figure that out themselves. Hopefully we get more clarity soon. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Just heard this got expedited to be done before opening day,   They upped the offer to get it done.  Should get the rest of the MLB owners approval next week.     

Like I mentioned before,  there “appears” to be the desire to spend to win.  They know the window we have…   Take it fwiw.    Flame away..

This is great to hear!  I was concerned this process might drag on for a while.  Would be great to celebrate the new ownership on Opening Day and maybe gave Rubenstein throw out the first pitch with a grand introduction to the fans.