Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He has money and lots of it. Am I missing something here? I don't care about anything else as nothing else about him is relevant to the O's. He will not be the face of the franchise, just a solid silent investor.

I find being a fan to be more enjoyable when my favorite team isn't partially owned by someone that I actively loathe, that's all. YMMV

26 minutes ago, deward said:

Bloomberg is involved? Yuck.

The article has been updated to read "Rubenstein’s investment partners include Ares Management CEO Michael Arougheti, Orioles legend Cal Ripken Jr. and other Maryland business leaders, philanthropists and sports figures. "

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I find it incredibly amusing that a politician is complaining about Angelos lying.  The State got fairly ironclad 15 year agreement with the Orioles (the same 15 years that the Ravens signed for).  Clearly, they are not going to give up development rights now, unless Rubenstein wants to pursue that, but who cares?  Politicians are only happy when they get to see their names in the papers.  Especially ones in an obscure position like State Treasurer.  Most people have no clue what the Comptroller or Treasurer do.

He came out in the middle of negotiations flat out said the team wasn’t for sale. They have to button up the other half of the lease. The new owner probably is not alive in 15 years. The second owner of the group is a New Yorker so he doesn’t have the emotional tie to protect Maryland or care to own after Rubenstein passes away. I’m not familiar with what the no relocation clause says to have an opinion on how it would affect such efforts later.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

He came out in the middle of negotiations flat out said the team wasn’t for sale. They have to button up the other half of the lease. The new owner probably is not alive in 15 years. The second owner of the group is a New Yorker so he doesn’t have the emotional tie to protect Maryland or care to own after Rubenstein passes away. I’m not familiar with what the no relocation clause says to have an opinion on how it would affect such efforts later.

It sounds like you're saying sports franchise owners from out of town don't care enough about their investment to care about the community and what that team means to it?

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno about you guys, but I'm enjoying the reaction from other fanbases right now.  I saw some Yankees fans on twitter a little while ago, they were scared that we're going to start spending money and once we do it's all over for them.

Yankee fans are very down about their organization right now overall already. 

I have nothing to add, really. What a time to be alive. 

• Haha 1

Other than obviously the baseball personnel side of things, I think I'm most curious about how this affects MASN. 

The list of complaints about MASN are nearly limitless, from letting Gary Thorne walk, to disciplining Kevin Brown, to the constant errors/sound issues/shoddy production, to the lack of televised ST games, to just overall having been gutted down to the studs in the JA era. 

That's not even mentioning the ongoing (?) litigation with the Nats.

What will it look like in the Rubenstein era? As a guy with his own TV show, he will know the value of a good televised product. Could he build it back up? Will he renegotiate anything with the Nats? MASN is a rat's nest and I'm curious how he will determine the value of it and what changes, if anything.