Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

2 hours ago, Daddy-O's said:

I don't believe John Angelos ran it like a $ store.  He ran like he intended to sell it.  He stripped it of all long term financial obligations.  Signed a long term team friendly lease. Invested in a stream of talented cheap labor and then sold the team at its highest value.  I don't think he cared about winning or losing, he cared about increasing the value of the team because his family was always going to have sell the team, when his father passed.

Believe the settled lawsuit. His plan was to thwart a sale and convince his mommy to let him keep his toy. He kept payroll down because the team is his revenue source. He unveiled in his interviews what the future looked like and under his control it would be operating under low payroll ceiling and a cycle of developing talent and letting them go when they became free agents. 

Edited by Orioles5258

5 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Definitely a great day for Baltimore. I really do have to wonder if Peter Angelo's condition is maybe getting worse.

I think we're overthinking it though about payroll. They don't really need to go crazy in order to try and put the team in a best case scenario for a WS shot. I don't know anything about the new group, but I hope they are willing to give Elias the chance to finish this.

What is going crazy with the payroll mean? Comparing our current spending to markets like CIN, DET, TB, SD or teams like LAD or NYY? 

No matter which of those groups you choose to use our spending would have to increase significantly to catch up. We have literally spent NOTHING over the last FOUR YEARS ranking 29th or last in the sport! While that was fairly acceptable from 2020- 2022 it became apparent last offseason, last trade deadline, and this offseason that something was seriously wrong. No functional organization (not even the very cheap Rays) punts on opportunities to improve a championship caliber team the way we have done by literally DOING NOTHING.

If we were to just operate at a competent/functional level of spending and do things like extend young stars and supplement our already ultra talented organization with outside pieces/real players who can help (not Fuji/Flaherty) we have a legit shot at a World Series or two.

15 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

This is hilarious. Fun read.

15 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

This is hilarious. Fun read.

Wow the drama and histrionics over there is awesome to read. I’m tempted to sign up to a Nashville Predators board and post that Angelos now has plenty of cash to buy his home team predators. Nashville wanted him and the Orioles, it would be sweet irony if they ended up getting him as an owner. 

Edited by Orioles5258
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Since this board seems to like reading other teams’ boards, here’s the Blue Jays discussion about it: https://www.bluejaysmessageboard.com/threads/11360-Around-Baseball-2024/page53

Spoiler alert: they aren’t happy. 😎

One of the many levels of fun for us is in the initial whirl does the tide rise so far we are in on guys like Bo and Vlad, or Soto and Sasaki.

I still don't want Snell or Montgomery occupying a high salary slot forever.

Mike Elias' favorite buy-side trade opportunities - seems like he'll be able to fish in deeper waters than paying James McCann $4 million this year.