Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Right now some places are saying next week (really only MLBTR), but most are saying it'll be the next owners' meeting in the summer. Both seem roughly as likely to me. On the one hand, this has clearly been in the works for some time and the vetting process may already basically be done. On the other hand, it's old billionaires and everything could take forever. 

Rubenstein is so connected and vetted I could see this being fast tracked.  

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno about you guys, but I'm enjoying the reaction from other fanbases right now.  I saw some Yankees fans on twitter a little while ago, they were scared that we're going to start spending money and once we do it's all over for them.

Tell them Gerrit Cole's gonna use that upcoming opt out to try and get to Baltimore.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Rubenstein is so connected and vetted I could see this being fast tracked.  

I don't know how many people follow the Premier League, but this isn't like 777 Partners trying to buy Everton, where this is concern regarding if they actually have the finances to sustain the team. I think MLB will be very happy to have someone like Rubenstein in the fold. 

2 hours ago, accinfo said:

Rubenstein is a Duke graduate so not shocking Grant Hill would be involved.  Grant is one of the real good guys.  

Calvin Hill also Yale, a bit older than Kurt Schmoke.    Wikipedia has Schmoke as the fall '67 freshman quarterback; Calvin Hill didn't become an NFL 1st round pick until 1969, so those two guys I suppose had a couple years together in quarterback meetings, twice the time Elias and Craig Breslow did in pitchers meetings.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Fine, but Bloomberg is here as a very wealthy investor, not as a politician.   And for anyone who doesn’t know, Bloomberg is a Johns Hopkins graduate who has donated hundreds of millions of dollars to the school and the hospital.   That’s perfect for the kind of investor group we want to see.   

I just want you to know that it is killing me not to go back on what I said about keeping my mouth shut on this topic. 😅

Angelos bought the club August 2, 1993 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/1993/08/03/sold-173000000-angelos-dewitt-team-up-to-buy-orioles-the-sale-of-the-orioles-local-ownership-group-pays-record-price-for-club/

Full approval of the purchase was on October 4, 1993.

Two months is about the same timeframe for Cohen's purchase of the Mets to be official in 2020.  Given all that, I expect this will be official around Opening Day.

Edited by TonySoprano
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Angelos bought the club August 2, 1993 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/1993/08/03/sold-173000000-angelos-dewitt-team-up-to-buy-orioles-the-sale-of-the-orioles-local-ownership-group-pays-record-price-for-club/

Full approval of the purchase was on October 4, 1993.

Two months is about the same timeframe for Cohen's purchase of the Mets to be official in 2020.  Given all that, I expect this will be official around Opening Day.

Logical! I think you're probably right.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Have we had @Tony-OH's take yet? Any predictions or rumblings Tony?

Well Tony-OH's the one who broke this story on the hangout months ago, saying two separate sources had the same or similar info.  He may not feel the need to comment on it quickly 

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Well Tony-OH's the one who broke this story on the hangout months ago, saying two separate sources had the same or similar info.  He may not feel the need to comment on it quickly 

I recall, just eager for anything more about this. It's been fun haha.