Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not really.

Just look at the teams that are extending young players instead of gaming service time.

The industry has spoken.

Or is everyone else stupid?

It’s not a slam dunk they are successful. You spend a lot of money to, usually, get 2 or so extra years.  So, it’s not a slam dunk that it’s good biz. 

I would certainly do it to get those few years but they have a huge risk of blowing up in your face.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not really.

Just look at the teams that are extending young players instead of gaming service time.

The industry has spoken.

What point are you making here?  Not many pre-Arb players get extended.  The White Sox were a big practitioner of this and it totally blew up in their face.  It’s worked very well for the Braves so far, it seems.  The other teams have only dabbled in this, and success is checkered.  So how has the industry spoken?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not a slam dunk they are successful. You spend a lot of money to, usually, get 2 or so extra years.  So, it’s not a slam dunk that it’s good biz. 

I would certainly do it to get those few years but they have a huge risk of blowing up in your face.

Huge risk of blowing up in your face?

Can you give me one example in which one of these deals did actual harm to the team?

Maybe the Franco deal might count if for some reason they had to pay him.

No one says the Yusniel Diaz signing "blew up in the Dodger's face".

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

What point are you making here?  Not many pre-Arb players get extended.  The White Sox were a big practitioner of this and it totally blew up in their face.  It’s worked very well for the Braves so far, it seems.  The other teams have only dabbled in this, and success is checkered.  So how has the industry spoken?

Who is still gaming service time?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can you give me one example in which one of these deals did actual harm to the team?

In going to pull a you and say, I don’t really feel like doing the research..that said, we have so many of these teams doing it and we won’t know if it’s a bad idea for several years.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If you don’t extend him and start him on OD, I’m keeping him down until early to mid June…miss super 2 and he may not accumulate enough time to where he would win CY.  Going to be tough to beat out Carter anyway.

Im willing to win one less game to do that.

I think Elias has stated that Holliday would have a chance to make the OD roster.  If he was planning to game his service time, that is an odd thing to say. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What’s your definition of “actual harm?”  If you pay a guy $25 mm guaranteed and he’s basically worthless, is that actual harm?  How about $50 mm?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’s your definition of “actual harm?”  If you pay a guy $25 mm guaranteed and he’s basically worthless, is that actual harm?  How about $50 mm?

Well, SG has said ad nauseam that the Davis deal didn't hurt the O's....

Twenty five million over five plus years isn't stopping a team from making other deals, neither is fifty spread out over an extended period of time.

So much money in the game right now.

If the Rays end up having to pay Franco and he never plays again, that's actual harm.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Well, SG has said ad nauseam that the Davis deal didn't hurt the O's....

Twenty five million over five plus years isn't stopping a team from making other deals, neither is fifty spread out over an extended period of time.

So much money in the game right now.

If the Rays end up having to pay Franco and he never plays again, that's actual harm.

Well, I do not think the Rays will have to pay Franco if he’s unable to return to the US to play baseball.  And in any event, that risk probably was mot apparent when they signed him and is unrelated to his experience and track record as a pro ballplayer.   It’s a 1 in 500 type situation.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I do not think the Rays will have to pay Franco if he’s unable to return to the US to play baseball.  And in any event, that risk probably was mot apparent when they signed him and is unrelated to his experience and track record as a pro ballplayer.   It’s a 1 in 500 type situation.  

I know a guy, well a woman actually.

She works for the Rays and used to work for the Blue Jays.  (not at a particularly high level)

According to her the Jays would run a background check on her every year.  She says the Rays are a lot more lax about that sort of thing.

I do give the Orioles credit today for already chasing more than minimum AL6 playoff odds like AL East division championship odds, and playoff success odds.   Sure it is a crapshoot but you can work yourself towards a .540 chance or a .460 chance each round.

Does the Sigbot know today Jackson Holliday is one of its best 9 players for the 2024 tournament?     Do marginal PA 350-650 better equip him for success when 8 months from today he has Corbin Burnes on his side and is competing with Gerrit Cole, George Kirby or Framber Valdez?

Ibid Coby Mayo.

Is the Sigbot confident the 2030 Orioles will be solid with an even more robust pipeline?    The 2024 Orioles talent level is residually constrained by Latin America neglect, whereas the 2030 Orioles will have Samuel Basallo, Luis De Leon and everyone who follows them at prime or younger than prime ages.     Maybe the 2024 Orioles need more cowbell to beat the Yankees than the 2030 Orioles do.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not really.

The industry has spoken.

You mean like the Braves taking advantage of Acuña & Albies?

Pick your poison.  

It takes two to tango with the extensions.  The folks who agree to extend, and who are true difference makers, are costing themselves market value payment later in their career. 

Not being snarky, but honestly what early extension do you think both worked out for the team and the player?