2024 Attendance Expectation

PeterGibbonsfan

6 hours ago, elextrano8 said:

It will be better than last year I imagine, but I beg everyone to not panic when it's not sold out on a school night in early April.

You can tell a lot from those April weeknight games, because they give you a feel for how many people bought full season ticket packages.  For example, last year the lowest attendance of the year was 9,322 on Monday, April 16 against Oakland, the only game all year under 10,000.  In 2022, the low was 6,678 and they were under 10,000 14 times.  In our recent high water mark year of 2014, the lowest attendance was 13,000+ and there was only one game under 15,000.   So in my opinion, we’ll know by the end of April whether the team has any realistic chance to top the 2014 attendance of 2.46 mm.   

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Pickles said:

Last year in the beginning of the year I said I hoped they would draw 2 million if competitive all season.  I was told that was probably way too ambitious.

Well they made it to 1.9 but of course they were more than competitive.

As stated above, a linear progression would put them at about 2.5 million this year.  That's probably a little too ambitious but I'd like to see 2.4.

The Buzz is back, winning is back,build and they will come. 2.5 Mil and continuing to trend up. Their on the Verge of a return to their Glory Years.

3 hours ago, Safelykept said:

The Buzz is back, winning is back,build and they will come. 2.5 Mil and continuing to trend up. Their on the Verge of a return to their Glory Years.

I will say this: it’s the first time in 25+ years that the team both (1) made the playoffs the previous season, and (2) was expected to be a top playoff contender again that next season.  In 2012 there was a lot of perception the team had lucked into the playoffs, and they did little that offseason to generate buzz.  The 2014 team was legit, but losing Markakis, Cruz and Miller in the offseason plus all the drama with Duquette really was a buzzkill in the offseason.  The 2016 team squeaked into the wild card game but I don’t think the Gallardo signing or the Trumbo re-signing overcame the buzzkill of Britton’s offseason injury.  Now we have a 101 win team that’s added a Cy Young candidate.   So yes, I think fans will be quite enthusiastic.  And I suspect we may get some fans who were boycotting Angelos, though I think that’s a pretty tiny group.  

• Upvote 1

I'm curious to see if it sells out for the Yankees Monday-Thursday April 29-May 2.     Before that it is nine series with Clubs where until Thursday night Milwaukee was the only one I figured to be about as strong as Baltimore in 2024.

Grapefruit Game 1 is 3 weeks and 15 minutes away.

On 2/3/2024 at 9:09 AM, Safelykept said:

Yep, I upgraded to a full season plan … now I have to recruit some friends into going.😄

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It will not come close to selling out those games.  

Agreed, though the higher those weekday Yankees games get, the better we probably did the first month.

If the two Clubs were to enter that series say 18-9 and 16-11, the leader with a good series could push 5+ games out in front a month along.   

That said, it is a long year, and last year the Rays emulated the '84 Tigers about as well as anyone in a generation and ended up 2nd.

The ownership change will help a lot.   Many people simply refused to support the Angelos family. I have an 81 game package that I divvy up - I’ve had more than a few new people inquire.  I’ve effectively sold my seats - I’ve directed people interested to just get a season package.  

2.45 million is my guess. 2.7 the following year. 

On 2/3/2024 at 3:23 AM, Frobby said:

You can tell a lot from those April weeknight games, because they give you a feel for how many people bought full season ticket packages.  For example, last year the lowest attendance of the year was 9,322 on Monday, April 16 against Oakland, the only game all year under 10,000.  In 2022, the low was 6,678 and they were under 10,000 14 times.  In our recent high water mark year of 2014, the lowest attendance was 13,000+ and there was only one game under 15,000.   So in my opinion, we’ll know by the end of April whether the team has any realistic chance to top the 2014 attendance of 2.46 mm.   

Not necessarily - the Birdland membership packages they sell now are essentially vouchers without fixed games. 

Burnes is the kind of splash that moves a bunch of tickets. He’s legit, an exciting add we haven’t had in about 2 decades (Tejada?). I expect an attendance bump whatever days he pitches.

also - the Nats stink. I think we could way overperform for once, especially coming off a 100 win season.

Edited by brooooksy