All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

O’Hearn had a .330 xwOBA in 2022 and  .326 xwOBA in 2023 so I’d expect 2024 wOBA in the .320 to .330 range (wRC+ of 105-112, OPS of .750 to .770).  I probably wouldn’t expect much more production from Kjerstad or Stowers this year and neither are currently viable considerations for first base defensively.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Left on Left has been a great matchup for Kyle Stowers. I hope the managers and coaches keep that in mind. Don't just blindly plug in a guy just because they are the opposite hand of the pitcher. Stowers is a good example that you can get results with some players playing the same handedness.

Another HR for Stowers today.   While I see no room for him on the Os, I hope we move him soon for his career sake.   I think he'll be an average player for a handful of years and can carve him out a pretty decent career. But he's not going to get a chance here really. 

Burdick getting claimed helps Cowser’s chances. It’s good to see Stowers back after having a really tough luck season last year. Struggling at the MLB level, then shoulder injury, then getting hit in the face with a ball. Stowers could still have a future here with Santa being a FA this year, and Mullins/Hays the following year. 

I saw a projected White Sox infield reserve sprained an ankle.    Is Stowers and Mateo credible for Michael Kopech?    Kopech was recently relegated to the bullpen.

Can Jorge Mateo straight outplay Paul DeJong to become a July trade chip?

I don't see DET on our schedule until Sept but Stowers should have that series circled on his calendar and we should get him some AB's vs Maeda. 

I thought Kjerstad had the advantage for 4th OF coming into the spring, and while I don't normally like to put too much stock in spring stats, Cowser and Stowers have been outstanding. Probably the most interesting spring battle.