Jackson Holliday spring training watch

Frobby

31 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Same deal if Coby Mayo outplays Jordan Westburg?

Based on Elias' earlier comments, they want to see Mayo in right field.  They're not going to have him playing right field at the ML level without ever having had a chance to do some work there at Norfolk.  I believe he's starting at AAA but will have a real chance to move up during the season, whether at 3B or RF.

10 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

SigBot running the Rookie Integration Plan in the Warehouse...  

tumblr_pe8yj3wJUb1tad247o2_r1_540.gif

Wouldn't Nash's Equilibrium as depicted in the movie also imply nobody should try for Jackson Holliday?

Coby Mayo and Connor Norby and Cade Povich - we want you.    Its better for us all if nobody chases the blonde!

Jackson Holliday's hoped for Jeter-esque life through baseball may also be imaginary, but it'll be entertaining to see if he can hit. 300 this year.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are there any angles we haven't thought of here in regards to Holliday being on the roster on Opening Day?

Have we fully explored the what-ifs with regard to other infielders getting injured or traded? Should we run the numbers on that? If Urias is traded or gets injured, that increases Holliday's chances by X% vs. Mateo's trade or injury increases it by Y%.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are there any angles we haven't thought of here in regards to Holliday being on the roster on Opening Day?

Well there is really only so much to the decision.

I think the only thing, that I can think of at least, that isn’t about service time or performance is the goodwill factor.  The idea that we want to sign him to a deal and we are saying, we aren’t going to play around with your FA time.

I mean, if they sign him to a 9 year deal, he’s here for that time either way. But if you aren’t going to take up his service time than that would mean he gets 3 years of free agency in his contract, not 2..which means he gets paid more money in that contract, if he would sign it.

But I can’t think of any other “side issues”.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Have we fully explored the what-ifs with regard to other infielders getting injured or traded? Should we run the numbers on that? If Urias is traded or gets injured, that increases Holliday's chances by X% vs. Mateo's trade or injury increases it by Y%.

I will set up a Monte Carlo simulation for those scenarios and post my results

• Upvote 1

Doesn’t matter that he is 20. Some of the best players debuted younger than he is. 
I think one of the more important things to watch for other than the number of at bats is if he is getting those at bats vs the major league pitchers at the beginning of the game. 
Im guessing most would take Holliday at 2B over Frazier or Odor. 

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

Doesn’t matter that he is 20. Some of the best players debuted younger than he is. 
I think one of the more important things to watch for other than the number of at bats is if he is getting those at bats vs the major league pitchers at the beginning of the game. 
Im guessing most would take Holliday at 2B over Frazier or Odor. 

The list of players I would take over Frazier or Odor isn't exactly short. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, I would absolutely take a LHB version of Jeter. Even if his defense is Jeter level mediocre, he has the hit tool to make up for it. 

If Jeter played even mediocre defense he'd have been worth a lot more than just 70 WAR.

This poll in November asked the odds of Holliday making the OD roster, and the most common answer was "A very slim chance":

I take that to mean under 20%. What do you all think now?

I'm still putting it at under 50%, though trading for Burnes at least shows that this year is a priority and the team is willing to give up some long-term value for 2024 wins. That said, I don't see it as all-or-nothing, and Holliday is still going to have to show he's definitively better than Urias right now, if we're giving up the extra year. And I see the infielders coming in this week as a sign that we have options for backup 2B if Holliday doesn't blow away the competition.

So I don't see the job as Holliday's to lose, just a job he can win if he proves he's the best option beyond a doubt.