JD Martinez

Roll Tide

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

JD Martinez would be a more of the same kind of acquisition. He is not an impact bat and he is a periphery (around the margins) piece at this point.

Why not set the bar higher and sign Alonso? Acquiring Pete Alonso allows you to move on from Mountcastle and put Mayo (where he belongs right now) DH. It also allows you to move on from O'Hearn. 

Alonso gets everyday ABs and Mayo does. Those two things to a large degree help solve the lineup imbalance against LHP.

I know Alonso will cost real money. But again who are we paying? The money is there. It's time to start using it (if we want to win in October).

Pete Alonso OPS+ 123

Ryan O'Hearn OPS+ 122

Yes, it's not an apples to apples comparison because Alonso got 600 PA and O'Hearn got 450 and was mostly protected against his weaker side, but where's the massive upgrade?

Pete Alonso rWAR 2.6

Ryan Mountcastle rWAR 2.6

Again, I ask where's the upgrade?

The eagerness of people to kick solid players to the side, guys who have been part of a historic turnaround, to bring in guys from outside the org who aren't really better, and far more expensive, is ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Pete Alonso OPS+ 123

Ryan O'Hearn OPS+ 122

Yes, it's not an apples to apples comparison because Alonso got 600 PA and O'Hearn got 450 and was mostly protected against his weaker side, but where's the massive upgrade?

Pete Alonso rWAR 2.6

Ryan Mountcastle rWAR 2.6

Again, I ask where's the upgrade?

The eagerness of people to kick solid players to the side, guys who have been part of a historic turnaround, to bring in guys from outside the org who aren't really better, and far more expensive, is ridiculous.

My response to this O'Hearn is a platoon player who can't contribute to the team where it needs help the most ... against LHP.

As far as Mountcastle goes, I would rather trust Alonso in a big spot/postseason than Mountcastle who made some of the worst swing decisions imaginable against KC. I don't want to see any more of that. We need experienced hitters (preferably RH) who won't panic when facing postseason pressure.

Yes, I am very eager to make changes after two years and ZERO postseason wins.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

My response to this O'Hearn is a platoon player who can't contribute to the team where it needs help the most ... against LHP.

As far as Mountcastle goes, I would rather trust Alonso in a big spot/postseason than Mountcastle who made some of the worst swing decisions imaginable against KC. I don't want to see any more of that. We need experienced hitters (preferably RH) who won't panic when facing postseason pressure.

Yes, I am very eager to make changes after two years and ZERO postseason wins.

Zero postseason wins!  Reeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Shouldn't changes make the team, I don't know, better?

If Santander walks, and we jettison O'Hearn and Mountcastle,  and the replacement is Alonso is this team better?  

Edited by Pickles

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

JD Martinez would be a more of the same kind of acquisition. He is not an impact bat and he is a periphery (around the margins) piece at this point.

Why not set the bar higher and sign Alonso? Acquiring Pete Alonso allows you to move on from Mountcastle and put Mayo (where he belongs right now) DH. It also allows you to move on from O'Hearn. 

Alonso gets everyday ABs and Mayo does. Those two things to a large degree help solve the lineup imbalance against LHP.

I know Alonso will cost real money. But again who are we paying? The money is there. It's time to start using it (if we want to win in October).

Alonso wasn't good this year.  His defense wasn't good, he has no speed and he doesn't have much in the way of stats that make you think he is due for an increase in stats.  He is essentially a DH right now and is about to turn 30.  Martinez is a better investment.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Zero postseason wins!  Reeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Shouldn't changes make the team, I don't know, better?

If Santander walks and is replaced by Alonso is this team better?  Or only more expensive?

I'm not sure. But to be clear that is not the only change that I want to see, just one of them.

Also, I think it is important that we get "more expensive" if we are serious about winning a ring. The last 20 years of the sport suggest that the payroll that we have now is not commiserate to what is required to win a championship. Only the first Astros title was not top half of the league in spending. We are still near the bottom currently.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Alonso wasn't good this year.  His defense wasn't good, he has no speed and he doesn't have much in the way of stats that make you think he is due for an increase in stats.  He is essentially a DH right now and is about to turn 30.  Martinez is a better investment.

Was Martinez nearly as good as Alonso?

Also, I want to be clear. I am not advocating that the approach needs to be Alonso or bust. But what I am saying is that we should be trying to get difference making players in FA. Not marginal cheap ones. We already done that and it hasn't gotten us anywhere in the postseason.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Was Martinez nearly as good as Alonso?

Also, I want to be clear. I am not advocating that the approach needs to be Alonso or bust. But what I am saying is that we should be trying to get difference making players in FA. Not marginal cheap ones. We already done that and it hasn't gotten us anywhere in the postseason.

I get it but difference making talent doesn't really exist outside of Soto.  Alonso doesn't change this team much at all.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

The Orioles have plenty of impact bats.  They just need to be more “clutch.” 

I’m not against adding a veteran hitter. I see no need to buy an expensive one. 

Tyler ONeill is high on my list. He has usually hit lefties very well. His defense is  maybe average but he does have a very good arm.

I think you have to be careful not to go too crazy for him because of a big one year jump up but he is someone to consider.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Tyler ONeill is high on my list. He has usually hit lefties very well. His defense is  maybe average but he does have a very good arm.

I think you have to be careful not to go too crazy for him because of a big one year jump up but he is someone to consider.

He fits well. Have to see what the market is. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, you would be okay putting him in left field, or a you thinking of him platooning in right with Kjerstad?

Alonso would be the worst possible signing for us. All he does is hit for power, and even that might be waning, even before you stick him in Oriole Park with that LF wall. That is the hardest of passes. 

Martinez is very meh. That dude is going to fall off a cliff at some point soon, I’d rather it not be while the Os are paying him. 

Could get on board with O’Neill for sure, if the price is reasonable. Major upgrade over the Slater/Hays combo from 2024, if he could stay healthy. 

1 minute ago, Sanity Check said:

So, you would be okay putting him in left field, or a you thinking of him platooning in right with Kjerstad?

For me, he’d be the 4th outfielder so he’d likely have to do both. He could spell all three of Mullins/Cowser/Kjerstad at any given time. I would argue positionally a RH OF might be out biggest need in fact, so if not O’Neil, someone else of that ilk. 

8 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

As of today, we have 3 lefties in the OF. He will have plenty of at bats here.  I wouldn't start him everyday persay but 350-450 at bats will be fine.