JD Martinez

Roll Tide

22 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I don’t like giving up draft picks to sign FAs . I rather trade Mountcastle and give Mayo first job 

I'm willing to give up a draft pick to sign a super-dee-duper-star--Corbin Burnes, Juan Soto.  

Christian Walker and Pete Alonso aren't worth giving up a draft pick to sign.  

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Also, this is directed at everyone… how much of our player’s cumulative stats from hitting were accrued before the @HOU series where we got figured out?

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Maybe we have a problem with the organization's philosophy on approach at the plate, and it isn't just that we are missing an old guy

I'm not sure if we got figured out or not, but something broke on this team and needs to get fixed. That is job #1 and is what we'll need to do to make the entire lineup better.

Then there's the additional talent that we'll need. They're two different conversations, IMO. I've heard people basically saying our young talent isn't nearly as good as it's made out to be. I disagree. If one or two failed, I'd be wondering. But the entire lineup stunk for months. Some of it was injury, but there's a deeper issue that needs to be the focus of Elias' offseason.

29 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Maybe we have a problem with the organization's philosophy on approach at the plate, and it isn't just that we are missing an old guy

It's not JD Martinez or bust, but I do think we need at least one vet in more than the RH CF Slater/Hays role.  Hicks was disliked in 2023, but at least he showed up in the postseason.  

The dream scenario of all the homegrown guys holding hands, singing kumbaya, and winning World Serieses, hasn't worked so far.  Vet experience, leadership, and clubhouse presence, isn't something that shows up on a stat sheet, so it gets "poo poo'd" here, but I think we can all admit that we need some of that in some degree because what we have hasn't worked.  Now, can all the young guys grow up, of course they can, but we do something about this offseason to supplement them and not rely on whatever market is there at the deadline.

The extra wild cards have changed things.  The "risk adverse" move is to actually fill your needs in the winter offseason, versus there being a buyers market in July.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea who wants a philosophy where you score a lot of runs. 

Advanced scouting is tough.  Houston's scouts got us after that Yankees series where we scored 15 runs.  We rested on our laurels from OD-that HOU Series and never adjusted.  Literally, went down swinging... for the fences.  

IMO we need to find a way to get a vet in the lineup, and that might not be available at the deadline.  Can't take the deadline being a buyer's market anymore each year for granted.  

Ironically, we will get younger with Kjerstad taking over for Santa, and the eventual promotion of Basallo.  However, I do think O'Hearn/Mountcastle's spots are where we could add a vet and where there could be a FA one year fit.  

55 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm willing to give up a draft pick to sign a super-dee-duper-star--Corbin Burnes, Juan Soto.  

Christian Walker and Pete Alonso aren't worth giving up a draft pick to sign.  

I think Soto is the only FA hitter I would consider sacrificing a draft pick for this year, and there's no chance whatsoever of the Orioles signing him.