JD Martinez

Roll Tide

16 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Pete Alonso with another postseason home run. But I’m told by some, he’s no better than Mountcastle who did absolutely zippo in the October. 

I read Alonso’s stats and it doesn’t jump at me or anything .  But here we are, watching him smashing clutch home runs in playoffs . I can’t help but wonder if he might be our FA target ? 

6 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I read Alonso’s stats and it doesn’t jump at me or anything .  But here we are, watching him smashing clutch home runs in playoffs . I can’t help but wonder if he might be our FA target ? 

I sure hope not. 

Watching him hit .240 with 150+ K's and play abysmal defense for $20-25 million a year for the next 5 or 6 years sounds absolutely awful.

19 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

The only way he’s on the radar is if he’s signing for 3 years or less AND Mayo is traded.

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I sure hope not. 

Watching him hit .240 with 150+ K's and play abysmal defense for $20-25 million a year for the next 5 or 6 years sounds absolutely awful.

That’s what I was wondered about also . But if he’s not our guy , we need look at other players, particularly who has clutch hitting ability during the season and playoffs . I’m not really sold on Mounty 

Just now, Allan Bryant said:

That’s what I was wondered about also . But if he’s not our guy , we need look at other players, particularly who has clutch hitting ability during the season and playoffs . I’m not really sold on Mounty 

Who do you have in mind for clutch hitting ability during the season and playoffs?

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only way he’s on the radar is if he’s signing for 3 years or less AND Mayo is traded.

I agree with you . 3 years of Alonso should be our goal . But if Alonso keeps hitting GW home runs and Mets keep winning, his market value will really increase.  Mayo is another offseason decision we need make on 

3 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I agree with you . 3 years of Alonso should be our goal . But if Alonso keeps hitting GW home runs and Mets keep winning, his market value will really increase.  Mayo is another offseason decision we need make on 

No no..I’m not saying that should by the goal. The goal should be to stay far away from him But who knows if the Os are interested. Doesn’t make much sense that they are.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

No no..I’m not saying that should by the goal. The goal should be to stay far away from him But who knows if the Os are interested. Doesn’t make much sense that they are.

I think it makes some sense. We need someone who knows how to handle pressure. 

17 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

The thing is, the two 1B FAs who might be upgrades over Mountcastle (Alonso and Walker) will both cost us a draft pick on top of whatever money they get.

I think we're "stuck" with him unless they decide to trade him and give Mayo the job.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The thing is, the two 1B FAs who might be upgrades over Mountcastle (Alonso and Walker) will both cost us a draft pick on top of whatever money they get.

I think we're "stuck" with him unless they decide to trade him and give Mayo the job.

I don’t like giving up draft picks to sign FAs . I rather trade Mountcastle and give Mayo first job 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess we will see what O’s evaluations of Alonso and Walker will be . 

3 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I don’t like giving up draft picks to sign FAs . I rather trade Mountcastle and give Mayo first job 

I would be willing to cough up a draft pick for a legit impact FA in an area of clear need, but I don't think Alonso and Walker qualify as that for us since we already have Mountcastle, who, despite his warts, is still an above average hitter overall (and a pretty good defender too).

30 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Is that really a predictable, repeatable skill worth paying millions of dollars for? Anyway, I have to think the Mets are going to resign him. 

• Upvote 1