Mayo to play first and third this spring..preparing for RF

Sports Guy

I don't understand why they want him to play in RF when we already have plenty of guys who can play right field as part of their position repertoire.  Let's look at the RFers in MLB and AAA...

Santander

Hays

O'Hearn

McKenna

Hilliard

Cowser

Kjerstad

Mullins can play any outfield position you want but he's our Center-fielder so I didn't list him.

And then you have Rhodes, Cook, Beavers, and Fabian developing in the wings in the mid-lower minors.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

If Kjerstad hits like Manny Ramirez, he can play center field for all I care!

That was my point, minus two drug suspensions. I’m not saying he will hit like Manny or that he uses drugs. But if someone can hit, there is a place for them. 

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't understand why they want him to play in RF when we already have plenty of guys who can play right field as part of their position repertoire.  Let's look at the RFers in MLB and AAA...

Santander

Hays

O'Hearn

McKenna

Hilliard

Cowser

Kjerstad

Mullins can play any outfield position you want but he's our Center-fielder so I didn't list him.

And then you have Rhodes, Cook, Beavers, and Fabian developing in the wings in the mid-lower minors.

I forgot to list Haskin and Vavra.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Santander

Hays

O'Hearn

McKenna

Hilliard

Cowser

Kjerstad

Number of contributing factors. They’re big on position versatility. Westburg-Gunnar-Holliday might be their best INF alignment. Mayo’s arm has more value than being stuck at 1B/DH. The older players and AAAA guys you mentioned will be cycling out in the next two years. Kjerstad/Cowser may not develop at the end of the day.

Just good to know as an organization how many places someone with his bat can legitimately contribute on defense.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Number of contributing factors. They’re big on position versatility. Westburg-Gunnar-Holliday might be their best INF alignment. Mayo’s arm has more value than being stuck at 1B/DH. The older players and AAAA guys you mentioned will be cycling out in the next two years. Kjerstad/Cowser may not develop at the end of the day.

Just good to know as an organization how many places someone with his bat can legitimately contribute on defense.

Right on point. Thanks for saving me time.

That infield alignment may be the one they see for the foreseeable future and probably their best overall defensive alignment. If that happens, Mayo is either moving to 1B (where they may need for Basallo is a few years) or right field. His bat is going to play at any of those positions.

Even if they determine that Holliday can now play SS legitimately in the majors, that moves Gunnar to third which still does the same thing to Mayo.

I still think Mayo can handle 3B defensively right now, but he's a huge guy and his quickness and agility will slow down a bit as he gets older so a move off 3B is probably inevitable anyways. 

First time posting in a long time (a very long time).

I know people have mentioned that there aren’t enough spots for all these prospects. However, what I see is a perfect opportunity to make sure everyone gets opportunities to get  rest and we don’t have to utilize the “punt” lineups anymore. 

If we fast forward a year and a half to when Mayo, Holliday, Basallo, Cowser, and Kjerstad are all in the majors, this is how I see the lineup shaping up (assumptions below is that the average week contains 6 games and 1 day off):

C : Adley (4 times a week) and Basallo (twice a week)

1B: Mountcastle (4 times a week) and Basallo (twice a week)

2B: Westburg (4 times a week) and Holliday (twice a week)

SS: Gunnar (3 times a week) and Holliday (3 times a week)

3B: Mayo (4 times a week) and Gunnar (twice a week)

RF: Kjerstad (5 times a week) and Mayo (once a week)

CF: Mullins (5 times a week) and Cowser (once a week)

LF: Cowser (3 times a week) and Beavers (3 times a week)

DH: Adley, Basallo, Gunnar, Holliday, Mayo, and  Kjerstad (all once a week)

1. Adley (4@C, 1@DH)
  2. Basallo (2@C, 2@1B)
  3. Mountcastle (4@1B)
  4. Westburg (4@2B)
  5. Holliday (2@2B, 3@SS, 1@DH)
  6. Gunnar (3@SS, 2@3B, 1@DH)
  7. Mayo (4@3B, 1@RF, 1@DH)
  8. Kjerstad (5@RF, 1@DH)
  9. Mullins (5@CF)
  10. Cowser (1@CF, 3@LF)
  11. Hays (3@LF)

If things go well for EBJ and Beavers they can replace Mullins and Hays, respectively. Additionally, this still leaves room on the roster for a third catcher and right handed outfielder (that probably plays CF (Fabian makes the most sense for this role)). Also, for weeks where Hyde wants to give Gunnar, Holliday, Mayo, and Kjerstad a day off, there will be more at bats for Westburg, Cowser, Mountcastle, and Hays. And then there are injuries which will give additional opportunities as well.

I personally think this is the vision of the team and why Elias loves having positional versatility. 

Edited by WietersOvechkin
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I still think Mayo can handle 3B defensively right now, but he's a huge guy and his quickness and agility will slow down a bit as he gets older so a move off 3B is probably inevitable anyways. 

3B strikes me as a position where experience counts for a lot.   Of the 30 players who started the most games at 3B last year, 11 of them were 30+ year old.  That compares with 8 at SS, 10 at 2B, 12 at 1B.  

The reviews on Mayo’s defense are pretty mixed, so I’m taking a wait and see attitude.  

12 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Santander

Hays

O'Hearn

McKenna

Hilliard

Cowser

Kjerstad

The only guys in that group that really matter are Cowser and Kjerstad, the rest are replaceable or will be gone in the near future. You’ve got to remember, Mayo is still a prospect…not a major league asset just yet. I don’t think the ones in the mid-lower minors are anything to worry about just yet. They feel like trade bait at the deadline to me.

Out of Cowser and Kjerstad, Kjerstad is likely a DH and Cowser is probably best fit for LF since that’s best manned by a second tier center fielder and thats close to what Cowser seems to be. Plus Cowsers outlook has seemed to sour very quickly. I don’t necessarily agree with that, but it’s worth noting since he is far from a sure thing. 
Stowers could be a good RF option, but between Stowers and Mayo….I’m banking on Mayo to have the better career.

Lastly, Mayos greatest defensive asset is his arm. A good arm plays well in RF. Unlike the OF, the O’s have long term options at 3B that would be difficult to justify moving them. 

5 minutes ago, WietersOvechkin said:

I know people have mentioned that there aren’t enough spots for all these prospects. However, what I see is a perfect opportunity to make sure everyone gets opportunities to get  rest and we don’t have to utilize the “punt” lineups anymore. 

If we fast forward a year and a half to when Mayo, Holliday, Basallo, Cowser, and Kjerstad are all in the majors, this is how I see the lineup shaping up (assumptions below is that the average week contains 6 games and 1 day off):

1. Adley (4@C, 1@DH)
  2. Basallo (2@C, 2@1B)
  3. Mountcastle (4@1B)
  4. Westburg (4@2B)
  8. Kjerstad (5@RF, 1@DH)
  9. Mullins (5@CF)
  10. Cowser (1@CF, 3@LF)
  11. Hays (3@LF)

If things go well for EBJ and Beavers they can replace Mullins and Hays, respectively. Additionally, this still leaves room on the roster for a third catcher and right handed outfielder (that probably plays CF (Fabian makes the most sense for this role)). Also, for weeks where Hyde wants to give Gunnar, Holliday, Mayo, and Kjerstad a day off, there will be more at bats for Westburg, Cowser, Mountcastle, and Hays. And then there are injuries which will give additional opportunities as well.

I personally think this is the vision of the team and why Elias loves having positional versatility. 

Just replying so that the post will be readable.  

40 minutes ago, WietersOvechkin said:

1. Adley (4@C, 1@DH)
  2. Basallo (2@C, 2@1B)
  3. Mountcastle (4@1B)
  4. Westburg (4@2B)
  8. Kjerstad (5@RF, 1@DH)
  9. Mullins (5@CF)
  10. Cowser (1@CF, 3@LF)
  11. Hays (3@LF)

Welcome back, just a note, if you cut and paste from another site, select "plain text" so it will post with white text here. Or you can select all of your text and go into the editor and change the color of the text.

• Thanks 1