Cole Irvin: “I’m not saying I’m in the best shape of my life”

Frobby

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I just thought this was a funny line, considering all the “best shape of my life” stories you read every spring training.   But, as Roch’s article shows, Irvin indeed has worked very hard this offseason, strengthening his core, changing his diet, etc.   He could turn out to be a very important piece to this team, with Bradish and Means on the shelf right now, and even later if they’re both back.   

I mever understood all the Irvin hate. He' effectively been very Kyle Gibsonesque when given a prolonged opportunity to start. He's perfectly fine for the #5/6 spot on a team with championship aspirations.  He was 7th on the starting depth chart coming into this season.  

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why wouldn't that count?

Because we are talking about MLB players that come to camp, are heavy, and then come to camp thinner.  These people tend to have had some success in the MLB and then are thought to be out of shape.  Strasburg was just in the developmental phase when he had his transformation.  He is a good example though of someone who improved his fitness and pitching. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Because we are talking about MLB players that come to camp, are heavy, and then come to camp thinner.  These people tend to have had some success in the MLB and then are thought to be out of shape.  Strasburg was just in the developmental phase when he had his transformation.  He is a good example though of someone who improved his fitness and pitching. 

Umm meow?

Sidney Ponson before your time?

I know Billy Butler personally, will leave it at that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Irvin did and the season with a 93 ERA+, which is the same ERA+ that he had his last season in Oakland before we traded for him. However, his ERA+ with us was aided by his relief appearances. 

I like Irvin. I actually thought we got too cute with rotating guys in the minors last season and sent Irvin down when he was throwing 95 in short stints out of the pen and dominating. I would like Irvin a lot better as our #6 SP/3rd LH RP, rather than our #5 on OD. 

On 2/21/2024 at 10:57 AM, yark14 said:

He is a funny dude. Also looks like he runs a tire and brake shop in southeast Oklahoma.

Good news.  They've expanded to handle most auto repairs.  They're not just about tires and brakes anymore!

image.png

Edited by BRobinsonfan
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, baltfan said:

You didn't specify the exact conditions you were requesting when you asked for examples.

I'd say limiting the criteria to established ML pitchers is a bit self-defeating since the vast majority of them are going to be folks trying to improve when they are already in their decline phase of their careers.

Edited by Can_of_corn

I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere, but Irvin morphed his slider into a cutter last year that is by far his best pitch by Stuff+. He threw it 16% of the time too, decent usage but could be increased more.

He’s always going to score poorly in stuff for pitch models but very well in command grades, so even some slight upticks in stuff could make a big difference. His curve is also decent. He relies a lot on his fastball/sinker/change, so I’d be interested in him moving more towards the cutter/curve (which generally are still effective against RH batters).

Irvin was absolutely unreal horrific in his first few starts last season, which tanked his season numbers (particularly xERA), but really righted the ship after that. He’s a decent piece to be a 5th starter, he’s been very durable, throws a lot of strikes and as a result can pitch a lot of innings (if you aren’t pulling him early in close games), and is a good fit for OPACY. It’s just a bad spot that our depth chart is already whittled down to him being that to start the year. 

• Upvote 1

This thread spurred some curiosity...  So thought I'd just drop it here.

O's have a thing for sinkers and cutters (in the SL category below) now.  Even the sweeper still too.  Bautista, Cano, Bradish, Burnes, Irvin...  

I found this article/chart interesting.

image-2.png?w=624

Which Pitch Should Be Thrown Next? | Community Blog (fangraphs.com)

FWIW, one of the writer's conclusions is that pitch location matters more than pitch selection.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2024 at 3:19 AM, sevastras said:

Umm meow?

Sidney Ponson before your time?

I know Billy Butler personally, will leave it at that. 

Alek Manoah and Sixto Sanchez is making the rounds in the socials for opposite reasons.