Article on Machado and the O's Today

Bahama O's Fan

Machado roamed the left side of Baltimore's infield for nearly a decade, debuting in 2012 and establishing himself as a perennial MVP candidate until he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2018.

6 years is nearly a decade ? Plus he missed some time with the knee issue.

They were never going to pay $60 million to Davis and Machado. Peter chose Davis, many here preferred Manny. Manny did some lack of hustle/ lackadaisical stuff that made you question giving him a big contract.

End of day ….even if he had been kept around Elias would’ve traded him for prospects a year or two ago IMO.

Machado is only 31, so there's still plenty of time for him to win a championship. He may end up with some regrets, however, if Baltimore wins one without him.

Yeah, because we would have hit the same cornerstones of success had we been the ones to pay him 30 million a season *and* have him worsen our draft position with the three or four extra games a year we would have won.  Plus, I'm sure he would have thoroughly enjoyed playing on the turd rebuild-tank teams we trotted out for three and a half seasons straight.

Manny was great, but I don't think we'd be in the same place today had we kept him.  So Manny won't have to regret anything if we win it all; it likely wouldn't have been the same team if he were on it. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Machado is only 31, so there's still plenty of time for him to win a championship. He may end up with some regrets, however, if Baltimore wins one without him.

Yeah, because we would have hit the same cornerstones of success had we been the ones to pay him 30 million a season *and* have him worsen our draft position with the three or four extra games a year we would have won.  Plus, I'm sure he would have thoroughly enjoyed playing on the turd rebuild-tank teams we trotted out for three and a half seasons straight.

Manny was great, but I don't think we'd be in the same place today had we kept him.  So Manny won't have to regret anything if we win it all; it likely wouldn't have been the same team if he were on it. 

That sums it up well.  There’s no guarantee that we’re in the situation we’re in if we keep him.  

I wish we’d have kept him, it hurts to see a future hall of famer leave. But if the decision is between having kept Manny and the setup we have now, give me what we have all day, every day. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That sums it up well.  There’s no guarantee that we’re in the situation we’re in if we keep him.  

I wish we’d have kept him, it hurts to see a future hall of famer leave. But if the decision is between having kept Manny and the setup we have now, give me what we have all day, every day. 

Indeed. 

I mentioned the impact it would have had on our drafting... you only have to go back to 2022. 

We tied the D-backs for the league's worst record in 2021 and only got to draft in first position due to tiebreaker. 

Manny would have only had to walk off one extra win that season, and they'd have drafted Jackson Holliday (I have zero doubt he goes 1-1 to whomever had that draft spot) and we may have drafted injury-laden Drew Jones.   That's an alternate universe that makes me sad.

Edited by Morgan423
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Morgan423 said:

Indeed. 

I mentioned the impact it would have had on our drafting... you only have to go back to 2022. 

We tied the D-backs for the league's worst record in 2021 and only got to draft in first position due to tiebreaker. 

Manny would have only had to walk off extra win that season, and they'd have drafted Jackson Holliday (I have zero doubt he goes 1-1 to whoever had that draft spot) and we may have drafted injury-laden Drew Jones.   That's an alternate universe that makes me sad.

It’s interesting to think about. I don’t think anyone had Jackson Holliday at 1-1 back then, so I can’t say for sure they’d have taken him if they had the pick. It’s easy to look at him now as the best prospect in the game and say someone else would have taken him first overall, but back then I don’t think he was in many conversations to be taken that high. 

After Duquette paid Manny the minimum in the pre-arb years and Manny wanted more, Manny was pretty much committed to not signing here.....unless we outbid everyone else, and that wasn't happening, either.

The article is behind the Sun's paywall, which I don't pay for, but I could read it at the time.  I knew this soured him on the Baltimore way.  He was leaving......

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2014/03/10/manny-machado-says-contract-disappointing-but-you-just-have-to-go-out-and-play/

I liked him while he was here and won’t deny the dude is one of the best in the game right now. But anyone that looks up to Alex Rodriguez is a questionable human in my eyes, and that has nothing to do with him being a Yankee. 

37 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

After Duquette paid Manny the minimum in the pre-arb years and Manny wanted more, Manny was pretty much committed to not signing here.....unless we outbid everyone else, and that wasn't happening, either.

The article is behind the Sun's paywall, which I don't pay for, but I could read it at the time.  I knew this soured him on the Baltimore way.  He was leaving......

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2014/03/10/manny-machado-says-contract-disappointing-but-you-just-have-to-go-out-and-play/

If so, that was unreasonable of Manny, since pretty much nobody gets paid more than the minimum required in the pre-Arb years, unless they sign an extension.  

I think if we’d done an extension, it would have been pretty early in his pre-Arb years and probably would have bought out 2-3 years of free agency.   Manny would have been long gone to the highest bidder by now in any event.  

26 minutes ago, oriole said:

I liked him while he was here and won’t deny the dude is one of the best in the game right now. But anyone that looks up to Alex Rodriguez is a questionable human in my eyes, and that has nothing to do with him being a Yankee. 

What? You must be on the older side and I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way. I’m 33 and everybody who played baseball idolized Arod. Let alone somebody who grew up in Miami.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TopGunnar said:

What? You must be on the older side and I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way. I’m 33 and everybody who played baseball idolized Arod. Let alone somebody who grew up in Miami.

Seriously.  Arod took him under his wing and played the father figure Manny didn’t have.  Kudos to ARod for helping the kid out.    

• Upvote 1