Kolten Wong flyer

Sports Guy

5 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

No No No that is the exact person I thought they were going to sign to be Adam Fraizer and the next Brandon Hyde love fest. I don't care if its a minor league deal, stop obsession over a left handed hitting infielder. If Holliday is making the team then play Westburg every day at third. If Holliday doesn't make the team then see what Norby does or just play Urias. 

Hyde should be very familiar with Wong from his days in the NL Central.

55 minutes ago, dystopia said:

If Wong makes the team for any reason other than injury I will eat a shoe. 

Honestly it wouldn’t shock me.  He’s only a year removed from two straight 3+ rWAR seasons.  If Holliday doesn’t prove he’s ready, I could see Wong beating out some of the other infield candidates.  

23 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wong finished up nicely in a part time role with the Dodgers in September. BBref has him at 0.4 WAR. He even got into all 3 of the Dodger’s playoff games. 

Elias loves his LH vet 2B. Odor->Frazier->Wong

I hate wasting a roster spot when we have so many players ready, Norby, Mayo, Cowser, Stowers, Kierstadt, and Holliday.

They will use Hollidays lack of experience as an excuse to stash him in AAA no matter what he does in ST, but we can't have Urias , Wong, and Mateo make the team.... please NO

• Upvote 1

A Fangraphs commenter mentioned Wong was the last 1st round pick of the Cardinals when Luhnow was still there.     You know who some of his lieutenants around then were...

Suddenly I feel a little Rio Ruiz to the transaction.

Whichever one of Kjerstad or Cowser busts is definitely getting a 2033 NRI to whatever, if any, Club Elias is the GM of around then.

Maybe it'll be the White Sox, and then posters will reminisce about that winter they wanted those savages.

• Haha 2

Nice job Jake Rill digging up that Kolten Wong was generally the Cardinals 2B when Matt was there and Jackson from age 10-12 was around a lot.

That tie actually makes me feel encouraged he's just here for finishing touches, and the chance he actually takes Matt's kid's job at this late stage of his career are pretty low.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/jackson-holliday-plays-with-matt-holliday-teammate-kolten-wong

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2024 at 4:32 PM, Too Tall said:

I hope I am Wong, and this isn't the start of another yearlong "Frazier Thread?"

Nicely played.

I think a lot depends on how Holliday and Wong look as we get deeper into spring training. Wong would be a handcuff for Westburg at 2B and Urias at 3B (Westburg would move to 3B) if the send Holliday down to AAA for more seasoning.

I can't see Wong making the team if Holliday makes the the team. 

Wong is really in competition with Holliday and Maton, who has more defensive versatility (though not good anywhere he plays really).

I keep saying the Orioles are in a tough spot starting everyone clock within the same 2 years. They may be conservative with Mayo and  Holliday. We very well could see 8 weeks of Wong and Teheran. Wong in very limited back up role.

On 2/29/2024 at 3:30 PM, webbrick2010 said:

I hate wasting a roster spot when we have so many players ready, Norby, Mayo, Cowser, Stowers, Kierstadt, and Holliday.

They will use Hollidays lack of experience as an excuse to stash him in AAA no matter what he does in ST, but we can't have Urias , Wong, and Mateo make the team.... please NO

The team had Urias, Mateo, and Frazier last year and won 101 games. Urias and Mateo will have more limited roles this year and Wong will hopefully be better than Frazier, and if he’s not then he’s got a much shorter leash. It’s not that big a deal

9 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Nice job Jake Rill digging up that Kolten Wong was generally the Cardinals 2B when Matt was there and Jackson from age 10-12 was around a lot.

That tie actually makes me feel encouraged he's just here for finishing touches, and the chance he actually takes Matt's kid's job at this late stage of his career are pretty low.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/jackson-holliday-plays-with-matt-holliday-teammate-kolten-wong

I like this angle.  Instead of Wong being the next Odor/Frazier, it’s Elias bringing in Matt Holliday’s former teammate to show be a ST mentor.  So Wong is just depth, a JJ Hardy like extra coach on the field. 

A goodwill move if you’re trying to get a player to sign an extension. 

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I keep saying the Orioles are in a tough spot starting everyone clock within the same 2 years. They may be conservative with Mayo and  Holliday. We very well could see 8 weeks of Wong and Teheran. Wong in very limited back up role.

I don't have a problem with this. Say we trade Urias. I could see a situation where Wong would have a spot on the team even with Holliday. That said, it would have to be with very limited playing time. In that situation, the bench would be McCann, Wong, Mateo and an outfielder (ideally Kjerstad or Cowser with the OF rotating around enough to get whichever one enough ABs...but I wouldn't be surprised if it's McKenna or someone else).

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Nicely played.

I think a lot depends on how Holliday and Wong look as we get deeper into spring training. Wong would be a handcuff for Westburg at 2B and Urias at 3B (Westburg would move to 3B) if the send Holliday down to AAA for more seasoning.

I can't see Wong making the team if Holliday makes the the team. 

Wong is really in competition with Holliday and Maton, who has more defensive versatility (though not good anywhere he plays really).

Handcuff?   What do you actually mean by that?   Never seen that term used this way.