Roch: Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Al Suarez optioned

interloper

34 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

I guess they think they will be able to slip McKenna thru waivers.

Just not a fan of some of these moves the last few days.

We have Payton Burdick, who has options and is not on the 40 man.  I wonder if they really want McKenna to pass thru waivers.   Surprised to see Nevin over McKenna.   Nevin provides emergency help at 3B.  I guess they are content wit Mateo and Cowser as CF options.

37 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I'd be surprised if someone didn't claim him. He's  not that awful.

I think McKenna gets claimed and I don’t what they see in Tyler Nevin if he makes the team. Nevin looks like an AAAA player at best and shouldn’t be beating prospects who are MLB ready. 

Did the Orioles fix something with Nevin’s swing and think he’s a breakout candidate this season. 

33 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think McKenna gets claimed and I don’t what they see in Tyler Nevin if he makes the team. Nevin looks like an AAAA player at best and shouldn’t be beating prospects who are MLB ready. 

Did the Orioles fix something with Nevin’s swing and think he’s a breakout candidate this season. 

No argument here. Nevin over Holliday is a joke. Holliday can help this team RIGHT NOW. We're trying to win a WS RIGHT NOW. Is he really going to leave him down just to net an extra two months or so of service time? It just seems crazy to me. 

The alternative is he's down only a month, but then he could still finish top 2 in ROY and just like that you lost a month of service time instead of gaining.

43 minutes ago, dystopia said:

No argument here. Nevin over Holliday is a joke. Holliday can help this team RIGHT NOW. We're trying to win a WS RIGHT NOW. Is he really going to leave him down just to net an extra two months or so of service time? It just seems crazy to me. 

The alternative is he's down only a month, but then he could still finish top 2 in ROY and just like that you lost a month of service time instead of gaining.

Agree.  The time for acting like this team is a year or two away is ridiculous. 

The team can win the WS this year.  To send someone down, actually multiple 'someones', who are better than the people making the team OD?  Is imo a joke.

It screams being cheap and more worried about money rather than wins.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The team can win the WS this year.  To send someone down, actually multiple 'someones', who are better than the people making the team OD?  Is imo a joke.

I read 2 articles today that said the Orioles could win the WS. One was by Verducci and the other was SNY.

35 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Is the World Series next week?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I am sorry but it doesn’t scream anything like that.  This team won 101 games last year.  There is no reason to trust the roster they have put together shouldn’t be just as good if not better.  Holliday is 20 years old with very little AAA at bats.  He will be up sooner or later.  Westburg and Urias are major league quality players.   Both things can be true that you can be concerned about wins and the make up of the roster in the short term and the long term.  Holliday being on the opening day roster versus in May isn’t going to make the difference in whether they win the World Series or not.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I am sorry but it doesn’t scream anything like that.  This team won 101 games last year.  There is no reason to trust the roster they have put together shouldn’t be just as good if not better.  Holliday is 20 years old with very little AAA at bats.  He will be up sooner or later.  Westburg and Urias are major league quality players.   Both things can be true that you can be concerned about wins and the make up of the roster in the short term and the long term.  Holliday being on the opening day roster versus in May isn’t going to make the difference in whether they win the World Series or not.  

Yes there is.

I'm going to keep saying it because it's still the truth.

The 2023 team:

Exceeded their Pythagorean by a substantial amount.

They scored more runs than would be expected given how their overall offensive numbers.

Neither of those things are particularly repeatable.

if the 2023 team had performed as expected in those areas they would not have won 101 games, they would not have won the AL East.  They might not have made the playoffs.

I think it's foolish to go into the 2024 season acting like a spot in the playoffs is a given.  Is this team, on paper, better than the 2023 Mets and Padres?

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes there is.

The 2023 team:

They scored more runs than would be expected given how their overall offensive numbers.

if the 2023 team had performed as expected in those areas they would not have won 101 games, they would not have won the AL East.  They might not have made the playoffs.

I think it's foolish to go into the 2024 season acting like a spot in the playoffs is a given.  Is this team, on paper, better than the 2023 Mets and Padres?

Thanks 

EEyore.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dystopia said:

Since Nevin will likely play 3B, was it Nevin over Mayo instead.  You could make a better case for keeping Holliday down than Mayo.  Mayo had something like an 1.100 OPS in September in AAA.  Not sure how much better he has to be with the bat to earn a promotion.  It will look bad if the O's offense is struggling in April with Norfolk's offense on fire.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes there is.

The 2023 team:

Bingo.

The team outperformed last year.  Not saying they were not a good team.  They were.  But they did not have the talent level of a Braves or  Dodgers, or even a Rangers team.

As much as some don't want to admit that....it is the truth.

So this year they added a solid #1 starter.  On a one year contract.   Trading away 2 very good players who could play for 5 years on the O's.  IMO that screams "we are going for it".

So to then send down to the minors 1 or 2 if not 3 of your best players in the organization?   As in they are not going to be part of the team that can win it all this year?  At least for the first few months?

I am sorry but I don't like that.  I think it sends a bad message to the team and a bad message to the fans.

For example think of the hype and excitement for the fans and the players if guys like Holliday and Mayo were starting OD instead of XXX and XXX.  It isn't even close as far as momo and hype.

So imo, as I said. the Os brass is putting $ over wins this year.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Haha 1

I agree with @Can_of_corn in that it is not likely that we will have a repeat performance from all players (many of whom exceeded expectations in 2023) and we had very good injury luck. 

Yes we have Burnes now, his performance may simply be a replacement of what Bradish gave us. And who knows what this season’s version of Bradish will give us considering his injury?

In addition, it is very unlikely that Kimbrel gives us anything close to the kind of production that Bautista did. For one, he cannot handle that type of work load and be counted on to pitch as much. (Frequent back to back appearances, saves that are over one inning consistently). Also, who believes that Cano will give us the kind of all-star amazing half of a season like he did in the first half last year? - I don’t. 

So, where are we better? - It is likely that Gunnar has a better first 2 months of the season and thus a better campaign overall. Adley maybe still has some more growth in him? Maybe Mullins stays healthier? Maybe Means manages to give us 20-25 starts at a much better level than Irvin?

There are several questions when projecting “better” for this year’s team and some more certain regressions coming including being 30-16 in one run games.

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Since Nevin will likely play 3B, was it Nevin over Mayo instead.  You could make a better case for keeping Holliday down than Mayo.  Mayo had something like an 1.100 OPS in September in AAA.  Not sure how much better he has to be with the bat to earn a promotion.  It will look bad if the O's offense is struggling in April with Norfolk's offense on fire.

Considering Nevin didn’t start a single game a 3B this spring, I’d think it is very unlikely he plays any 3B. 

• Upvote 1