Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

I think the simple fact is, Holliday's performance since returning to AAA is a little disappointing considering what we'd come to expect from the young man.   Expectations for him, which already were sky-high coming into the season, went through the roof when he started the year at .333/.482/.595.   Nobody, and I mean nobody, expected him to perform as badly as he did during his short stint in the majors (.059/.111/.059).   And since his return, his .252/.418/.429 line is well short of what he was doing before he got called up.   So, it's natural to be a bit disappointed right now even though he's doing great for a 20-year old in AAA.  Simply put, his early performance was absolutely demanding a call-up, and his current performance really isn't.   It suggests he has more work to do in AAA before he's ready.  And that's fine.   Just not quite where some people thought he was.  He's still in a great position as a 20-year old who is more than holding is own against much older and more experienced competition.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the simple fact is, Holliday's performance since returning to AAA is a little disappointing considering what we'd come to expect from the young man.   Expectations for him, which already were sky-high coming into the season, went through the roof when he started the year at .333/.482/.595.   Nobody, and I mean nobody, expected him to perform as badly as he did during his short stint in the majors (.059/.111/.059).   And since his return, his .252/.418/.429 line is well short of what he was doing before he got called up.   So, it's natural to be a bit disappointed right now even though he's doing great for a 20-year old in AAA.  Simply put, his early performance was absolutely demanding a call-up, and his current performance really isn't.   It suggests he has more work to do in AAA before he's ready.  And that's fine.   Just not quite where some people thought he was.  He's still in a great position as a 20-year old who is more than holding is own against much older and more experienced competition.

I would 100% agree with this.    I think unless he really changes things around by end of summer, you just leave him down in AAA and see what he can do there over an almost entire season.    Even the highlights that I have seen of him lately at Norfolk, his swing still does not look the same to me as it did last year.   He seems kind of off balance at times and trying to pull too much.   His fielding and general baseball IQ I am assuming will come around.   I still don't think he is going to be a Gunnar or a Judge type of star player, but still very good.

Meanwhile OT:  Any golf fans here?  How about my man Bryson D at the US Open?  I saw he was +2000 before the start yesterday and jumped all over that.   $400 to win gets me back $8400.   I honestly could not believe he was that high of odds.  Meanwhile Scottie S was only +270......which was crazy low.  I bet Bryson at the PGA at almost the same odds and he lost by a stroke and had the lowest losing score ever at the PGA.  Lets hope he can finish it here. 

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I would 100% agree with this.    I think unless he really changes things around by end of summer, you just leave him down in AAA and see what he can do there over an almost entire season.    Even the highlights that I have seen of him lately at Norfolk, his swing still does not look the same to me as it did last year.   He seems kind of off balance at times and trying to pull too much.   His fielding and general baseball IQ I am assuming will come around.   I still don't think he is going to be a Gunnar or a Judge type of star player, but still very good.

Meanwhile OT:  Any golf fans here?  How about my man Bryson D at the US Open?  I saw he was +2000 before the start yesterday and jumped all over that.   $400 to win gets me back $8400.   I honestly could not believe he was that high of odds.  Meanwhile Scottie S was only +270......which was crazy low.  I bet Bryson at the PGA at almost the same odds and he lost by a stroke and had the lowest losing score ever at the PGA.  Lets hope he can finish it here. 

🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, there's a lot to pick from.  

The idea that you have to be good at weightlifting to be considered a good athlete is so boneheaded and ridiculous though, as if that's the only metric that counts.  Coming from a guy who brags about playing a game where you don't have to be able to bench press a Buick in order to knock down some pins, lol.  The absurdity of the whole thing was hysterical to me.

The idea that you have to be a good weightlifter to be a baseball player is beyond stupid.  As John Kruk said, I'm a baseball player, not an athlete.  I get it, some baseball players are great athletes, but if you can hit a round ball with a round bat very well, you will get paid.  Legend has it that Ted Williams was nicknamed the Splendid Splinter because of how much he could bench despite being relatively skinny,

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, there's a lot to pick from.  

The idea that you have to be good at weightlifting to be considered a good athlete is so boneheaded and ridiculous though, as if that's the only metric that counts.  Coming from a guy who brags about playing a game where you don't have to be able to bench press a Buick in order to knock down some pins, lol.  The absurdity of the whole thing was hysterical to me.

I never said a person has to lift heavy to be considered a good athlete.  Never.  In fact I would argue being a powerlifter or even a heavy weight lifter would be detrimental to playing the game of baseball better.   Doing light resistance work (higher reps with lower weight) with an emphasis on agility and quick twitch muscles would be much more beneficial imo.   Add in something like Yoga as well.  Which I have done for years and is imo harder than lifting weights. 

I was simply responding to Can of Corns assertion a month ago and yesterday that JH lifts these absurd (and wrong) numbers and therefore that makes him a superior athlete. 

19 hours ago, Malike said:

So just so I'm reading this right, that dude has elite level talent in multiple sports, played them all in college and decided to settle on pro bowling to make 100 grand a year, maybe? Solid choice.

Pro Bowlers on average make less than that. 

I bowl as a hobby and for fun.  Since I live on the West Coast I also bowl in PBA regional tournies,  But I have never tried to make a living from it.

I daytrade for a living (have traded since I was a kid), am a public stock consultant,  and also own a supplement company based on high VIt C (up to 15 grams a day), Lysine/proline, and zinc. 

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he made all his money training horses.

If I can keep the stories straight.

Trained horses from age 16 or so in the Midwest until I moved out to CA 13 years ago.   They don't have any harness tracks in CA except for a track in Sacramento and that is far away.  In MI there were 7 within 2 hours of me. 

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The idea that you have to be a good weightlifter to be a baseball player is beyond stupid.  As John Kruk said, I'm a baseball player, not an athlete.  I get it, some baseball players are great athletes, but if you can hit a round ball with a round bat very well, you will get paid.  Legend has it that Ted Williams was nicknamed the Splendid Splinter because of how much he could bench despite being relatively skinny,

Again, I never said that.  Quite the opposite.  Being too muscle bound can slow down a swing and running, plus make it harder to throw etc.  I think JH is fine as far as his build.  He will grow into his man body soon enough but in no way do I think JH should get muscle bound nor do I think you need to be to play baseball.

Can of Corn implied that by talking about JH's huge, and again wrong, lifting numbers.....I did not. 

17 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I was simply responding to Can of Corns assertion a month ago and yesterday that JH lifts these absurd (and wrong) numbers and therefore that makes him a superior athlete. 

CoC made no assertion of any of that, so just stop. Here is his post in the 'Cal thinks Holiday moved to fast through the system', which was a response to me saying Holiday needed to physically mature some.

CoC - 'At 6 feet and 195 pounds, Holliday’s maximum lift on the bench press has jumped to 315 pounds. He can squat 455 pounds, deadlift 500 pounds and box jump 55 inches — more than 4 1/2 feet.'

He got that from this article, which he linked:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/02/20/orioles-jackson-holliday-offseason-training-program/

Here is the thread, my post and CoC's are on the first page.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

CoC made no assertion of any of that, so just stop. Here is his post in the 'Cal thinks Holiday moved to fast through the system', which was a response to me saying Holiday needed to physically mature some.

CoC - 'At 6 feet and 195 pounds, Holliday’s maximum lift on the bench press has jumped to 315 pounds. He can squat 455 pounds, deadlift 500 pounds and box jump 55 inches — more than 4 1/2 feet.'

He got that from this article, which he linked:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/02/20/orioles-jackson-holliday-offseason-training-program/

Here is the thread, my post and CoC's are on the first page.

I invite you to look up his posts earlier in this thread.  Probably late April or Mayish?

Or don't.  It doesn't matter.