Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ben McDonald, who I don’t always agree with, made the point that he’s not opening up too early like he was back in April.   That’s spot on.   There’s a reason he had no power, got beat consistently with fastballs, and couldn’t cover the outer half.   He needed to make changes and he did.   The leg kick itself may not have been the cause but he certainly got into some really bad habits.

As Holliday himself said, “When you open up too early, bad things tend to happen.”

Anyone who thinks this was all mental ……..   Well, it wasn’t.  😀

I posted this yesterday Ryan Ripken did a good breakdown on the adjustment Holliday made at the plate.

On 8/6/2024 at 3:45 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I posted this yesterday Billy Ripken did a good breakdown on the adjustment Holliday made at the plate.

Thanks.  Yeah, that’s a good job by Ryan Ripken.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Thanks.  Yeah, that’s a good job by Ryan Ripken.

I really like Ryan Ripken. His instagram is really good. He does short breakdowns of all things O’s. 

https://www.instagram.com/ryanripken?igsh=NnQzcnE3c3g0MG51

https://m.youtube.com/@RYANRIPKENMEDIA

He’s on 105.7 a lot too.  He’s really improved over the last few years since he started doing this full time it seems.  Good stuff.

Back to Holliday, I’m worried about my Cowser ROY bet.  Holliday is +7500 currently for those who care. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I really like Ryan Ripken. His instagram is really good. He does short breakdowns of all things O’s. 

https://www.instagram.com/ryanripken?igsh=NnQzcnE3c3g0MG51

https://m.youtube.com/@RYANRIPKENMEDIA

He’s on 105.7 a lot too.  He’s really improved over the last few years since he started doing this full time it seems.  Good stuff.

Back to Holliday, I’m worried about my Cowser ROY bet.  Holliday is +7500 currently for those who care. 

Holliday would have to hit like this to the end of the year to even have an outside shot.  They're not giving ROY to 2 month guy unless he hits .350 w/ 20 HR.

If he keeps barrelling up the ball, then we'll see if he can adjust once pitchers start working around the zone to see if he chases. Hopefully he can stay patient and wait on the mistakes.
Even after that rough debut, he's already eclipsed Mullins in OPS.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Holliday would have to hit like this to the end of the year to even have an outside shot.  They're not giving ROY to 2 month guy unless he hits .350 w/ 20 HR.

Probably true.  Gary Sanchez hit 20 homers in 53 games and finished second.  He only hit .299 though.  

25 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

If he keeps barrelling up the ball, then we'll see if he can adjust once pitchers start working around the zone to see if he chases. Hopefully he can stay patient and wait on the mistakes.
Even after that rough debut, he's already eclipsed Mullins in OPS.

Holliday does not consistently chase. He has not done in in his professional career this far. Look at the career minor league OBP. This is a young man with a 70 grade hit tool.

I am extremely confident that he will take his walks.

9 hours ago, emmett16 said:

lol yea, still there.  Thats his timing.  One thing I’ve noticed is that his head is much more still through the swing.  Sometimes a big leg kick will move your eyes up and down.  Balance is the key. 

He has talked about why the leg kick is important to him despite what the internet hitting coaches think.

He has a great swing.

He has provided much much needed Instant Offense... like a 6th man in basketball.

The defense is going to be an adventure but (and especially with Westy sidelined) there's no reason whatsoever to not pencil him into the lineup for the remainder of games. Right now his bat is probably 100 Xs more positive than his defense is negative. Yeah, it's scary to think that he's the only other (cough cough) "SS" on the 26 man so should Gunnar need a spell, it's probably going to be JH who fills in there unless they slide over Ramon, who did play 48 games there in 2021 and 8 games there in 2022. But personally, I wouldn't do anything to disrupt what he's doing right now and let him build on the routine that he's carved out for himself the last week. He's showing why he has been the top ranked guy in the minors this year. The bat was always going to play. Thank goodness he's shown out since Westburg's injury. 

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has talked about why the leg kick is important to him despite what the internet hitting coaches think.

He has a great swing.

He does have a very fluid swing and the leg kick has never really bothered me until he begins to pull off of the ball, which is what was getting him into trouble back in April. Like every other hitter who ever lived, when he gets his arms extended, he's dangerous but it's his feel for the strike zone with his hands and his ability to adjust mid-swing that make him such an elite hitting prospect.

I see a little bit of Yordan Alvarez in his swing (obviously a smaller frame but their swing mechanics are very similar) and I do think that as he matures he probably dumps the leg kick (although Soriano never did so maybe he doesn't). He's raking right now, exactly when the O's need him to provide the spark that he has. 

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He's off to a good start.  I'd say he might be AL Player of the week.  When does he move to leadoff?  

After those tough 4 months after he struggled initially, I don't think sliding into the leadoff spot is that big of a deal to him.  I want him getting the most PAs on the team other than Gunnar.