Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

I acknowledge the possibility that his MLB performance is affecting my evaluation of him.  But his performance was really bad.  He showed lots of holes.  I do think he is a bit of a tweener with regard to his power and that is a concern for me. 

Yeah, he's a tweener at 20 but think what he'll be at 21 or 22.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

His defensive metrics were excellent in the MLB.

Which exposes a somewhat flawed metric.  He has all the attributes to be an elite middle infiielder but right now-at a new position he's not close.  He is on- pace for ~35 errors as a 2b which is historically atrocious-bear in mind that errors are "defined" (committed) today at a rate 1/3 less prior to the 1980's.  The yearly leader in errors by a 2b over the past two decades averages ~14!!!!- He's made 10 in 40 games.....

And we all know that error's in itself, as a judgement call is fundamentally flawed-especially when it doesn't take into account range or game context.  However in my experience error trends are usefull in not only calling out blunders but the other non-judgements that go as hits (that previously, historically were not) but also sloppy fundamental play (eg: those CoC's that fell in behind him).

Edited by SemperFi

9 minutes ago, catseyepub said:

Yeah, he's a tweener at 20 but think what he'll be at 21 or 22.

When I say a tweener, I mean power-wise.  I should have been more clear.  I am not suggesting he will be a AAAA player.

49 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Which exposes a somewhat flawed metric.  He has all the attributes to be an elite middle infiielder but right now-at a new position he's not close.  He is on- pace for ~35 errors as a 2b which is historically atrocious-bear in mind that errors are "defined" (committed) today at a rate 1/3 less prior to the 1980's.  The yearly leader in errors by a 2b over the past two decades averages ~14!!!!- He's made 10 in 40 games.....

And we all know that error's in itself, as a judgement call is fundamentally flawed-especially when it doesn't take into account range or game context.  However in my experience error trends are usefull in not only calling out blunders but the other non-judgements that go as hits (that previously, historically were not) but also sloppy fundamental play (eg: those CoC's that fell in behind him).

Minor league errors are weird. Manny Machado made 23 errors in 104 games at Bowie in 2012. He basically tied the maximum number of errors committed by a ML shortstop and would have been close to first in errors at 3B in just 104 minor league games. Machado was promoted during that season and looked like the second coming of Brooks, even though Machado made five errors at 3B that season after his promotion. I don't think anybody would argue that Holliday looked great at 2B, but minor league errors or even errors after promotion are definitely not the best way to judge future defense of young players. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Minor league errors are weird. Manny Machado made 23 errors in 104 games at Bowie in 2012. He basically tied the maximum number of errors committed by a ML shortstop and would have been close to first in errors at 3B in just 104 minor league games. Machado was promoted during that season and looked like the second coming of Brooks, even though Machado made five errors at 3B that season after his promotion. I don't think anybody would argue that Holliday looked great at 2B, but minor league errors or even errors after promotion are definitely not the best way to judge future defense of young players. 

Poor fields lead to errors quite often in the minors.  I’m not worried about errors.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think this point really has to be amplified to the fullest volume. Even at AAA, he is massively younger than pretty much anyone else out there.

Taking the top 50 guys at the AAA level across the minors by wRC+ (both IL and PCL), here is the breakdown by age:

24 years or older: 43 players

23 years old: 4 players (Kyle Manzardo, Jordan Beck, Jace Jung, Curtis Mead)

22 years old: 1 player (Coby Mayo)

21 years old: 1 player (James Wood)

20 years old: 1 player (Jackson Holliday)

Coby Mayo is the 3rd youngest top 50 hitter at the AAA level — and he’s two full years older than Jackson Holliday.

James Wood is the 2nd youngest top 50 hitter at the AAA level — and he’s 14 months older than Jackson Holliday.

Great post here.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

To your first point you can't compare volume of errors between SS and 2B-you get 20% less chances/PO, the throws are much longer and more difficult-it's a much more difficult place to play-frankly, one he has been competent at.  Even with that he's on a pace to commit 30 errors v. Machado's 23 in the same time period....and he's at 2B.  

I agree that in time he will be an elite middle infielder-my larger point being the errors are not indicative of his future fielding rather him learing a new position.  Many feel that you can just put him anywhere-2B, CF but he's never played there and there is a learning curve.

He has likely played SS (or pitched) since he was 5 years old, all that muscle memory and instinct was built on the other side of the bag.  I can recall multiple times when he blew assigments because he was confused.  If ME decides he is to be a 2B he needs more experience at the position.

Edited by SemperFi