Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

No, he hasn't.

I stand corrected, Hays has 5 hits this year, I thought he had 3. But before the Royals series he was 3 for 41 which is hardly different from 1 for 32 or whatever Holliday is now.

I'm confident he'll hit great one day.  Unfortunately, it does not appear that that day is upon us yet....

Today's strike out was pretty painful- bases juiced, 1 out, just needed to put it in play to plate a run and he struck out looking at a heater down the middle...  

He looks lost to me and needs to re-establish himself at Norfolk.   Bring Mayo or Norby up for now...

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I stand corrected, Hays has 5 hits this year, I thought he had 3. But before the Royals series he was 3 for 41 which is hardly different from 1 for 32 or whatever Holliday is now.

Go look at their walk rate and K rate while you're at it.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The good news is that it’s April 21st and we aren’t close to the end of the year.

We literally just went through this last year with Gunnar and the year before with Adley…and people still don’t, can’t and won’t learn.  It’s really astounding how the same scenarios pop up and there is zero learning from it.

Show me where Adley or Gunnar went 1 for 30.   This is not really comparable to their struggles.  Plus, he’s younger and less experienced so there’s more reason to think he may need more MiL time.  

Saying that, it’s pretty weird to see a guy who had an .899 OPS in 147 PA of AAA look this lost in the majors.  I’m not in favor of reworking his swing like some are suggesting.  I think it’s just in his head at this point.  

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well is playing poorly playing poorly or are there levels to it?

Because Gunnar struggled in ways none of the others did, and you can include Cowser on that list.

1-30 is worse than 6-30 but both still suck.  So yes, there are levels to it but either way, the player is still sh!tty.

The thing is, talent is different. When you are a middling prospect, you worry about a 1-30. You doubt the guy and you say, maybe they need more seasoning.

But when that player is one of the top 10 prospects of the last decade and comes from a family lead by a high level ML player that he can bounce stuff off of, you worry a hell of a lot less.

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

My question to the folks that want to see him back in AAA is, what happens if he goes down and hits, but gets called back up and struggles again? 

I don't want to see him back in AAA - at least not yet.  I'm intrigued by the notion that ML pitchers are taking advantage of a swing that needs to be simplified.  It that's the case than a trip back to AAA is probably what's needed.  That would go for anything fundamental like that.  Otherwise let him take a few more lumps at the ML level and hope the coaches can tweak a couple things to get him back on track.

Does anyone think he isn’t doubting himself right now and that his confidence isn’t down.   Of course, Elias isn’t going to say it and Holliday doesn’t want to admit it.    One more week of this and they’ll do what’s best for Holliday and the team.   

Edited by RZNJ

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Have any of them had the upside that he does?

Who is saying give up on him?  People are saying at worst send him down for a bit to get his confidence back and revamp his swing a bit.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Show me where Adley or Gunnar went 1 for 30.   This is not really comparable to their struggles.  Plus, he’s younger and less experienced so there’s more reason to think he may need more MiL time.  

Saying that, it’s pretty weird to see a guy who had an .899 OPS in 147 PA of AAA look this lost in the majors.  I’m not in favor of reworking his swing like some are suggesting.  I think it’s just in his head at this point.

Gunnar was a sub 200 hitter in late May last year and had a 6-37 stretch from late April to early May with 11 Ks.

Is that as bad?  No. Is it still awful?  Did he still look overmatched?  Yes he did.

So yes, their sh!t was a better smelling sh!t but it was still garbage…and that was after Gunnar had more ML playing time.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Does anyone think he isn’t doubting himself right now and that his confidence is down.   Of course, Elias isn’t going to say it and Holliday doesn’t want to admit it.    One more week of this and they’ll do what’s best for Holliday and the team.   

I think his confidence is fine.

I don't think most professional athletes lack for confidence.

And by god, the whole well he’s only 20 years old thing is probably the dumbest argument on this board.  I get it, we aren’t using to seeing Uber talents at that age in Baltimore but just because you aren’t used to it, doesn’t mean it’s not an actual thing.

They are not going to make the big deal they made about his arrival, give out 15,000 t-shirts to fans with his picture on it, then send him down 9 days later because he looks completely lost.  It's just not going to happen.  Cowser and Stowers struggled last year and earned their demotion, but Holliday's the top-rated prospect in the game and is going to get more leeway before anything happens.

I do think they'll start platooning him until he heats up, and if we reach May and he's 2 for 50, I would be shocked if they kept him up.  There will also be a difference between struggles on the West Coast when no one is watching and struggles at home against the Yankees.  That is where the rubber would meet the road, I think.

Edited by Gofannon

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think his confidence is fine.

I don't think most professional athletes lack for confidence.

It’s just a dumb and ignorant thing to say right now. Could that change with another awful week or 2?  Sure..right now it’s just another in the long line of awful arguments.