2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

office-space-ajau-naidu.png

Yeah, that’s the response I expect, but the fact is if a guy can’t defend, then his only value is on offense, and remember even the best guys on offense fail 60% of the time, and despite his prodigious power, it remains to be seen whether May will be able to hit major league pitching .

So I’m fine suffering the slings and arrows I may even turn out to be wrong, but I would very much like to see Mike Elias trade Mayo for some good pitching

19 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Two games in a row is absolutely nothing. And benching him as much as Hyde does could very possibly be contributing to his slow start, as he might not be able to get comfortable, might feel extra pressure to hit, or both. 

Elite prospects with bats like Mayo's absolutely need to play every day. Not be treated like some sort of part-time bench player vet. Gunnar and Adley struggled for about 2 months each prior to settling in, but they played every day and that helped them. Same needs to be done with Mayo. 

I'd like to see more Mayo too but Mayo needs to do his part and make more of his opportunities. I have to admit, Rivera is the better player right now. What do you know, Rivera has a HR and an error already...

I am probably on the wrong post.  Why don't we claim more DFA'd players? I have a question about claiming some possible designated and releases that we mostly pass? The Dodgers have claimed a number of claims and they pick after us, this not a lot money.  If we don't draft pitchers so why can't we fix some claims. We have been successful in the past.

Do we have any idea who Detroit's bulk pitcher is tonight?   Brieske has gone 9 starts but they are 1.0, 0.2, 3.0, 1.1, 1.0, 2.0, 1.0, 1.1, 1.0 innings each.   

They'll probably come at us with a lefty, glad to see Hyde has spaced out the lefties in the order as much as possible so they don't have a super easy spot to bring in the LHP. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Do we have any idea who Detroit's bulk pitcher is tonight?   Brieske has gone 9 starts but they are 1.0, 0.2, 3.0, 1.1, 1.0, 2.0, 1.0, 1.1, 1.0 innings each.   

They'll probably come at us with a lefty, glad to see Hyde has spaced out the lefties in the order as much as possible so they don't have a super easy spot to bring in the LHP. 

The last time Brieske opened was on 9/8, and Ty Madden came in and pitched 5. The previous time Brieske opened, Brant Hurter came in and pitched 5. Both appear available as they last pitched on 9/8 and 9/7, respectively. Hurter is a lefty, Madden a righty. So I reckon Hurter is the guy with how poorly the O’s do against lefties.

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2024 at 8:17 PM, Aristotelian said:

I'd like to see more Mayo too but Mayo needs to do his part and make more of his opportunities. I have to admit, Rivera is the better player right now. What do you know, Rivera has a HR and an error already...

Eloy Jimenez, the guy Mayo could most easily and obviously replace in the lineup, is hitting around .150 over the past MONTH. What the hell has he done to "do his part and make more of his opportunities"? He's done nothing, he's just another terrible veteran that Hyde and Elias favor out of a bias that hurts this team. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Eloy Jimenez, the guy Mayo could most easily and obviously replace in the lineup, is hitting around .150 over the past MONTH. What the hell has he done to "do his part and make more of his opportunities"? He's done nothing, he's just another terrible veteran that Hyde and Elias favor out of a bias that hurts this team. 

Well Jimenez hasn't played that much but I agree, I have no idea what they see in him. Ideally we would have another LHB. Maton is not it.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Well Jimenez hasn't played that much but I agree, I have no idea what they see in him. Ideally we would have another LHB. Maton is not it.

Jimenez has had 62 at bats over the past 30 days going into tonight, that's just way too many at bats for a guy who's clearly toast, yet Elias thought could be "fixed".

Mayo could have taken several of those DH starts instead of Eloy, and he certainly could have played at DH instead of Eloy tonight.

49 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Yeah no way he should be playing if only we played the guy hitting .067 we would have won.  It’s not like they are playing guys hitting .100 when leaving .300 hitters on the bench.  Complaining about Eloy vs Mayo is like asking out the fat girl or the ugly girl with braces.  

19 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Jimenez has had 62 at bats over the past 30 days going into tonight, that's just way too many at bats for a guy who's clearly toast, yet Elias thought could be "fixed".

Mayo could have taken several of those DH starts instead of Eloy, and he certainly could have played at DH instead of Eloy tonight.

There’s a weird obsession with playing bad, retread vets over top prospects that goes back two years now. I don’t get it. I don’t understand it. But they continue to do it. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

At this point just throw Mayo out there everyday either as DH, at 1st or occasionally at 3rd. Using him as a once in a while pinch hitter or every 4th day isn't giving him a chance to improve IMO.

I agree if Jimenez was lighting it up let him play or any of the other veterans. Mayo is never going to settle in pinch hitting or playing once or twice a week. Let Mayo take his lumps now he's going to be part of the future unlike the veteran retreads.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree if Jimenez was lighting it up let him play or any of the other veterans. Mayo is never going to settle in pinch hitting or playing once or twice a week. Let Mayo take his lumps now he's going to be part of the future unlike the veteran retreads.

We see that. It seems obvious. Except to our manager and front office.