Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

I think the club already knows if it is going to pitch him Wednesday or Friday next week, and the handling may tilt a little based on that.    I'd imagine some of that they are looking at Suarez, Povich or whoever the 6th starter would be against the Red Sox or Rays.

Tyler Wells happening to be sturdy enough to throw a baseball again moments after John Means breaks down definitely doesn't seem suspicious, I suppose if he progresses well he could also sponge some innings in June.

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I'll predict 7-10 strikeouts for the first time this season tonight as he has been boom or bust his first 10 turns as an Oriole.

The rubber will meet the road on the 6-man rotation concept before next Thursday's offday as if Burnes goes against the Red Sox Wednesday, it would be his 3rd start in a 9-day period.

If they rest him more, he's a Friday night pitcher for a minute and gets to lead off the 2024 competition with Tampa.

To the extent Corbin Burnes is the 2024 backfill for Kyle Gibson and Felix Bautista all at once, tonight wouldn't be a bad night for a near complete game.

CHW is last by A LOT in position player fWAR.

On paper this ought to be about as low stress as a MLB game can get, but you can't predict baseball.

It'd be three starts in an 11 day period, right? With starts on day 1, 6, and 11 of the set. 

I'm guessing that's what they do, and the 6-man rotation gets the axe for now. 

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I'll predict 7-10 strikeouts for the first time this season tonight as he has been boom or bust his first 10 turns as an Oriole.

The rubber will meet the road on the 6-man rotation concept before next Thursday's offday as if Burnes goes against the Red Sox Wednesday, it would be his 3rd start in a 9-day period.

If they rest him more, he's a Friday night pitcher for a minute and gets to lead off the 2024 competition with Tampa.

To the extent Corbin Burnes is the 2024 backfill for Kyle Gibson and Felix Bautista all at once, tonight wouldn't be a bad night for a near complete game.

CHW is last by A LOT in position player fWAR.

On paper this ought to be about as low stress as a MLB game can get, but you can't predict baseball.

I'm confused, are you saying that Burnes has been boom or bust this season? He's had 10 or more K's twice this year. I'm honestly not sure how to read your posts, so I might be missing something and Google translate is terrible. ;)

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm confused, are you saying that Burnes has been boom or bust this season? He's had 10 or more K's twice this year. I'm honestly not sure how to read your posts, so I might be missing something and Google translate is terrible. ;)

Boom or bust was individual game strikeouts - apart from the two spike games, the K rate most of us probably expected has been mostly missing.    For sure some of that is just averages averaging out.

I said the calendar wrong on the 3 turns in a small window - it would be 11 days total May 19, 24 and 29 if they pitch him again Wednesday, and I believe it has been somewhat rare for him (or any human starting pitcher) to do a third turn consecutively on the minimum four days' rest.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Boom or bust was individual game strikeouts - apart from the two spike games, the K rate most of us probably expected has been mostly missing.    For sure some of that is just averages averaging out.

I said the calendar wrong on the 3 turns in a small window - it would be 11 days total May 19, 24 and 29 if they pitch him again Wednesday, and I believe it has been somewhat rare for him (or any human starting pitcher) to do a third turn consecutively on the minimum four days' rest.

Thanks for the clarification. I remember him recently saying he is trying to get some easy outs, but he has the strikeout if he wants it. I suspect he will be around his career average when all is said and done, though he has trended down slightly each year.

Massive disappointment tonight. This was the game to let the pen get fresh. Instead Cano, DC and Kimbrel all need to be used in high leverage situation.

Did the same thing vs KC when given a 7-0 lead.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Not his best effort, that's for sure.

But 6 straight quality starts... the first Oriole to do so since Alex Cobb in 2018.

Wow. Cobb had 6 quality starts as an Oriole? 😀

Posted (edited)

New to the board here and picked a great game and screen name to boot! You gotta love Corbin Burnes.  He obviously didn’t have his best stuff with going deep in counts (errors didn’t help either) but that’s what a true ace does to keep his team into the game.  

Not sure we will be able to keep him, but hopefully Rubenstein will open up the pocketbook this off-season to sign him, two relievers and a true one or two middle of the order bats to protect the young players.

hopefully Bautista can regain his form as well next year.

Edited by GunnarBomb
  • Upvote 1