Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

Getting the start tonight, Burnes is lined up for 14 starts in the final 66 games, which would give him 33 starts for the team.  At 6.24 IP/start, he’s on pace for 206 IP if he makes 33 starts.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Getting the start tonight, Burnes is lined up for 14 starts in the final 66 games, which would give him 33 starts for the team.  At 6.24 IP/start, he’s on pace for 206 IP if he makes 33 starts.   

He's been as advertised.  Enjoy his 96 mph cutter while it lasts.  One of the best pitches in baseball.  

After Burnes routine star outing and Cease's no hitter, they are 1 inning apart, and Burnes ERA is a run better.

Burnes couldn't quite capitalize on his Marlins game the way Lugo did on his White Sox game in the Cy Young race between those two and Skubal.

2 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Man where would this team be without Burnes?

Where will they be if they lose Burnes?

I mean....he is good.  Very good.

Is he worth elite elite pitching $?

IMO no.  He is not dominant by any stretch and on the downward slope of his career.  Would love to have him for 3 years.  But not for what he will probably get paid. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

IMO no.  He is not dominant by any stretch and on the downward slope of his career.  Would love to have him for 3 years.  But not for what he will probably get paid. 

Who do you think is?

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who do you think is?

I am not going to go into specifics because anyone can get hurt.  But someone who is under the age of 27 or so.  Who is already dominant.  And who has peripherals on the upswing.  Not the down swing like Burnes.

Again...let me make this VERY clear.  Burnes is a great pitcher.  Would love to have him for a price.  Just not what he is about to get paid.

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

I am not going to go into specifics because anyone can get hurt.  But someone who is under the age of 27 or so.  Who is already dominant.  And who has peripherals on the upswing.  Not the down swing like Burnes.

Again...let me make this VERY clear.  Burnes is a great pitcher.  Would love to have him for a price.  Just not what he is about to get paid.

So Skenes?

Or has he not shown enough?

I'm honestly curious who you is worth the money.  If he's got to be under 27 that pretty much eliminates free agents. Skubal is 27 already so he's out.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So Skenes?

Or has he not shown enough?

I'm honestly curious who you is worth the money.  If he's got to be under 27 that pretty much eliminates free agents. Skubal is 27 already so he's out.

Skenes yes.

Crochet maybe.

I think GR could be as good as any....he just needs to learn how to pitch.  But I would try and sign him long term ASAP.

But let me make this clear.  I am not a baseball savant and I by no means am an expert on other teams players.

I am just talking about my general parameters for what I would pay a pitcher these days considering the injury risk and $ being paid for good starting pitching.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who do you think is?

I think young Japanese aces have generally been good investments.   Partly that is because they are younger when they arrive than the average MLB free agent.  I would break the bank for Roki Sasaki this off season, but there are other good starters who may be available from NPB.  

Burnes has been kind of unlucky in the W/L department this year.  In his 7 no decisions he’s pitched 42 innings to a 3.00 ERA.  He’s thrown 17 quality starts in 21 outings.  The guy really gives his team a chance to win every single time he takes the mound.  

• Upvote 1

All true but I'm not paying what Boras will be seeking. Rather that kind of money go to guys that play most every day. But then it is not my money so what I would do don't matter. I still think the calculus for buying pitching is going to change. Big multi-year contracts for near to over 30-year-old pitchers are going to be rare. I await the Sigbot Solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will be interesting. Do we have a repeat of last year with a Boras pitcher or not? Going to be an interesting off season for sure. I feel an over-energized OH from post WS on. I mean over the normal over!!! 😀

Another good start from Burnes. That's now 16 QS out of the last 17 starts. 

And I liked the confidence conveyed in this simple postgame interview quote regarding trades. "If they're coming here, they're good players."

On 7/25/2024 at 8:32 PM, OnlyOneOriole said:

This guy again. How many pitchers are better than him.  I’ll wait. It’s gonna be a very short list.