Gunnar Henderson 2024

A good reminder of why I hardly ever watch the HR Derby. I would be much more interested in competition testing baseball skills like running the baseballs, pitching accuracy, throwing distance, throwing accuracy, bunting

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

A good reminder of why I hardly ever watch the HR Derby. I would be much more interested in competition testing baseball skills like running the baseballs, pitching accuracy, throwing distance, throwing accuracy, bunting

Would you, because most people don’t watch those for other sports. Granted this one sucked and I stopped watching and it’s not because gunner was eliminated, but there was no standout performances.

12 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Running the baseballs?

34 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Running the baseballs?

Oops. Running the bases. 

Seriously, you could have pieces of the sac fly: time to run from third to home, from a dead start, and speed/accuracy in throwing from sac fly depth to the plate.

2 hours ago, Say O! said:

Honestly Buck didn’t give Gunnar many in the nitro zone (on the ESPN2 “statcast” alternate broadcast they highlighted where pitches were thrown).

Yeah, big mistake to bring someone to throw to you that hasn’t thrown to you in years.  

7 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

The competition would not include any Oriole team or player in the last 15 years.

Better make it last ten years:

- In 2009, Nick Markakis led the AL in sac flies with 10.

- In 2011, Adam Jones led the AL in sac flies with 12.

- In 2013, Matt Wieters led the AL in sac flies with 13.

Also, the Orioles were 2nd in the AL in sac flies last year.  

😎

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

While his performance in the HR Derby was not what we had hoped, I do hope one of the O's ASG members brings home one of those white stars he stood on and make it the crowning touch after  O's HRs, ie. standing on it and flexing before going to the Hydration Station.  😁

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/yankees_aaron_judge_names_opposing_player_he_would_want_as_a_teammate/s1_127_40614262

Yankees' Aaron Judge names opposing player he would want as a teammate: Gunnar Henderson

New York Yankees slugger Aaron Judge on Monday paid one of his American League All-Star teammates the ultimate compliment. Judge spoke to reporters before Monday’s All-Star Game at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas. The former AL MVP was asked to pick one opposing player he’d want as a teammate. Judge’s answer? Baltimore Orioles shortstop Gunnar Henderson. “Seeing what he’s doing for them — they’re in first place, doing their thing — just impressive to watch at-bat after at-bat,” said Judge. “He works his walks. He plays great defense. Hits the ball out of the ballpark. Hits for average. Great instincts on the basepaths, man. He’s a special talent, for sure.”

• Like 1