Gunnar Henderson 2024

I like Gunnar in the leadoff spot, until Holliday is ready for it. And I like Cowser down at 5/6, so I’m on board with the change from last night. Sounds like a lefty is starting today though, so it will be different anyway. We’ll have to wait and see if Gunnar stays up there on a regular basis. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There’s also nothing that doesn’t support it.  We don’t know. We do know that some players have different mentalities throughout the lineup.  We don’t know if Gunnar is one of them.

Either way, he should be batting first or second anyway, so the move should be permanent.

I just showed you what doesn’t support it. His slump started a month before moving out of the lead off spot. He even rebounded when he first moved to 3rd.

1 or 2 is my preferred spot for him in the order long term, but this slump ain’t about his spot in the order. 

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I just showed you what doesn’t support it. His slump started a month before moving out of the lead off spot. He even rebounded when he first moved to 3rd.

1 or 2 is my preferred spot for him in the order long term, but this slump ain’t about his spot in the order. 

Players are going to slump. We all know this.

But like you said, we don’t know if batting him first gets him out of the slump quicker..that’s why I was saying that we don’t have anything that supports that either way.

Gunnar's hiatus from leading off ran from July 27 to August 31, but he seems to have perked up back up top, and a guess is that's how we'll be keeping it.

He cracked 7 fWAR to enter the Top 10 position player seasons in Orioles history, just ahead of the Paul Blair, Chris Davis and Chris Hoiles career bests.     Gentile and Grich are about 10% ahead for Gunnar to chase the last 20ish games.

Top of the line Cal years look safe now.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Seems like lead off vs righties and third vs lefties may be the way they go. 

It was a hell of a lot nicer when Westburg was around to bat leadoff vs lefties, but what can ya do.

I doubt there’s any causal relationship between where Gunnar bats and his performance.  I’ll just say that overall in MLB, numbers leading off a game are a bit better than overall numbers.  That probably has more to do with the pitchers than the hitters.   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I doubt there’s any causal relationship between where Gunnar bats and his performance.  I’ll just say that overall in MLB, numbers leading off a game are a bit better than overall numbers.  That probably has more to do with the pitchers than the hitters.   

Again, some players have different mentalities depending on where they bat in the lineup.

I talked about this a ton with Markakis. He talked about in interviews. When they batted him 3-5, he felt he needed to try to drive in runs and try to hit for more power.  Batting 1 or 2 was more of a get on base, set up type spots.

Im not saying the players should approach their at bats differently but the reality is that I bet most do. 

• Upvote 1

I think it is kind of funny he's bounced between 1st and 3rd when I believe SABR wisdom is 2nd is the sweet spot for your best hitter.

I believe at this moment in his career he relishes going first same as turning all the double plays and catching all the popups like all his teammates and especially Adam Frazier really love.

A lot of the Orioles batting 2nd distribution is Adley dominating it but wow is that guy not holding up there right now.

47 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Gunnar Henderson is a corner outfielder or first baseman. Baseball has gone crazy forcing their premiere hitters to play premiere defensive positions. Cal Ripkens don't grow on trees.

He grades out as very good infielder according to all major defensive metrics as well as the eye test. 

On 9/5/2024 at 5:08 PM, Just Regular said:

Gunnar's hiatus from leading off ran from July 27 to August 31, but he seems to have perked up back up top, and a guess is that's how we'll be keeping it.

He cracked 7 fWAR to enter the Top 10 position player seasons in Orioles history, just ahead of the Paul Blair, Chris Davis and Chris Hoiles career bests.     Gentile and Grich are about 10% ahead for Gunnar to chase the last 20ish games.

Top of the line Cal years look safe now.

If his defense hadn’t been so awful since the All-Star break it would be much higher.