Gunnar Henderson 2024

He isn't going to pull off the Cal RoY-MVP thing, but his growth this year is a win for the long term picture.

I could settle for the baseball classic Two out of Three Ain't Bad '24 Gunnar relative to '83 Ripken.

TBD if he can emulate one of the Trout Greatnesses and use off-seasons to turn weaknesses into strengths.

It is maybe a good bar bet is this his Career Year?    I'd go Top 2 or Top 3, but I don't think it is.

48 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

He isn't going to pull off the Cal RoY-MVP thing, but his growth this year is a win for the long term picture.

I could settle for the baseball classic Two out of Three Ain't Bad '24 Gunnar relative to '83 Ripken.

TBD if he can emulate one of the Trout Greatnesses and use off-seasons to turn weaknesses into strengths.

It is maybe a good bar bet is this his Career Year?    I'd go Top 2 or Top 3, but I don't think it is.

For sure he is out of consideration as the MVP favorite to copy Cal.  Of course,  Cal didn't have an Aaron Judge to compete with. 

The runner-up in MVP voting in 1983 was a guy named Eddie Murray.  Eddie had more HR, more RBI, a higher slugging and OPS than Cal, but Cal had a higher WAR and batting average (.318 to .303).  I wonder if Eddie is bitter about losing the MVP to Cal?  A case could be made for either one. 

4 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

For sure he is out of consideration as the MVP favorite to copy Cal.  Of course,  Cal didn't have an Aaron Judge to compete with. 

The runner-up in MVP voting in 1983 was a guy named Eddie Murray.  Eddie had more HR, more RBI, a higher slugging and OPS than Cal, but Cal had a higher WAR and batting average (.318 to .303).  I wonder if Eddie is bitter about losing the MVP to Cal?  A case could be made for either one. 

Let's be honest, Gunnar ain't finishing second either.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Gunnar stands to improve on: fielding and stolen bases. I also think he’ll have a 1.000OPS season or two before he’s done.

17 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Gunnar stands to improve on: fielding and stolen bases. I also think he’ll have a 1.000OPS season or two before he’s done.

I was hoping that would be this season, but he faded this second half. But even Gunnar not living up to his lofty expectation is still a good player with an .811 OPS.