Gunnar Henderson 2024

Just now, Yossarian said:

He just doesn't show down.   I keep thinking that his 6'7", 270 pound frame will tire or lose a fraction in bat speed,  but he just keeps going.   It's amazing really.   He can stand far enough off the plate that he doesn't have to swing at pitches on his hands,  and yet he can still cover the outside corner with his long limbs.   

I'm thinking Judge will hit at least 60 this year,  and Henderson may get 50.  It will be fun to watch this play out.   Judge may get 150 RBI, or more. 

Yeah he'll end up being the only huge man to be an elite hitter into his 40's or something stupid. It feels like he'll never slow down.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why people even discuss the MVP in June.   A million things could happen between now and late September.  

I don't really care who wins it. I'm more entertained that the Yankees will have to use a position player for the 2nd straight Gil start. :)

Gunnar will be fine as long as he stays healthy.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why people even discuss the MVP in June.   A million things could happen between now and late September.  

Cause it's fun, especially when you've got a guy who's got a shot to win it.

Judge will be hard to beat but I think if we can take the division and Gunnar racks up more WAR, he can win it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

He just doesn't show down.   I keep thinking that his 6'7", 270 pound frame will tire or lose a fraction in bat speed,  but he just keeps going.   It's amazing really.   He can stand far enough off the plate that he doesn't have to swing at pitches on his hands,  and yet he can still cover the outside corner with his long limbs.   

I'm thinking Judge will hit at least 60 this year,  and Henderson may get 50.  It will be fun to watch this play out.   Judge may get 150 RBI, or more. 

Judge is getting RBI because Soto is getting on in front of him, to be fair.  Gunnar's pace would be better if he were batting 2nd or something.

Edited by Hallas

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We all know WAR can be a somewhat flawed stat, but here in June Gunnar alreadly has a higher WAR than all but 3 of Jeter's entire seasons.  He's literally on pace for one of the top seasons of all-time by a SS.  Kind of hard not to talk about...

Enjoy it.  Live in the moment.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Malike said:

Judge just got his 30th. On pace for 62 again. If he pulls that off he's winning the MVP.

Mark McGwire set a record with 70 HRs in 1998, and then came in second in the MVP vote. The next year he again led all of baseball in HRs with 65, and came in fifth in the MVP vote. If Judge finishes with 59 HRs and Gunnar with 53 (their current pace) I think his defensive positional advantage will give Henderson the edge. 

But if Judge continues his insane HR rate over the last 50 games he might end up with 70-80 HRs, and then nobody will beat him. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Mark McGwire set a record with 70 HRs in 1998, and then came in second in the MVP vote. The next year he again led all of baseball in HRs with 65, and came in fifth in the MVP vote. If Judge finishes with 59 HRs and Gunnar with 53 (their current pace) I think his defensive positional advantage will give Henderson the edge. 

But if Judge continues his insane HR rate over the last 50 games he might end up with 70-80 HRs, and then nobody will beat him. 

The MVP is basically a WAR race now, it wasn't in the 90's. Unfortunately, Judge is usually the WAR leader when he's healthy.

It feels great to have one of (if not the) game’s best on our side.

My young son’s Gunnar jersey came in the mail yesterday. He was fired up and wanted to wear it to bed. I told him save it for the game this weekend…lol

Gunnar has already become every bit the player we hoped for and then some! And he’s still so young.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't get why people wouldn't understand how some people might like to discuss it when they have a guy worth the most WAR in the game halfway through the season and he's only 22 years old.   (Full disclosure his birthday is Saturday.  Hopefully people here don't take it too hard, heh.)

10 hours ago, Malike said:

Yeah he'll end up being the only huge man to be an elite hitter into his 40's or something stupid. It feels like he'll never slow down.

It's hard to find anyone Judge's size to compare him to. Adam Dunn is a similar size, and he fell off sharply after age 30. Dave Winfield was a big guy (6'6"), although not as bulky as Judge, and he put up his last big offensive season at age 40. My assumption is that we're in the middle of Judge's peak, and that he'll regress to something more like the 2018-2021 version of himself in a year or two, then continue to be dangerous into his early 40s, even as he finds it harder and harder to stay on the field.

5 minutes ago, deward said:

It's hard to find anyone Judge's size to compare him to. Adam Dunn is a similar size, and he fell off sharply after age 30. Dave Winfield was a big guy (6'6"), although not as bulky as Judge, and he put up his last big offensive season at age 40. My assumption is that we're in the middle of Judge's peak, and that he'll regress to something more like the 2018-2021 version of himself in a year or two, then continue to be dangerous into his early 40s, even as he finds it harder and harder to stay on the field.

IMO Adam Dunn was never as good as Judge is. Judge is not just a home run or nothing guy. He is one of the best hitters in the sport. And to take it a step further, I don’t really know/see any weaknesses that he has. He is an all-around great player.