Kyle Stowers 2024

Jagwar

Kyle Stowers has 12 ABs and is already worth.1 bWAR. Hays is -1.0, and Mullins and Santander combined are .7

(Cowser, despite his exciting throwing, is 1.1)

So there is ample reason to play Stowers….and to sit Hays/Mullins/Santander.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Kyle Stowers has 12 ABs and is already worth.1 bWAR. Hays is -1.0, and Mullins and Santander combined are .7

(Cowser, despite his exciting throwing, is 1.1)

So there is ample reason to play Stowers….and to sit Hays/Mullins/Santander.

Those numbers don’t include Stowers’ performance today, so his WAR will be up when you look tomorrow morning.  He’s earned himself some more playing time, but he’s not going to go from bench warmer to everyday player overnight.   

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Those numbers don’t include Stowers’ performance today, so his WAR will be up when you look tomorrow morning.  He’s earned himself some more playing time, but he’s not going to go from bench warmer to everyday player overnight.   

A lot of respect for both Mike and for Hayes Mullins and Santander, but they’ve all scuffled enough that I can’t understand why Stowers and Kjersted aren’t playing more( yes I know silent J got sent down, but still)

Edited by Philip

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

A lot of respect for both Mike and for Hayes Mullins and Santander, but they’ve all scuffled enough that I can’t understand why Stowers and Kjersted aren’t playing more( yes I know silent J got sent down, but still)

Because you make the assumption that if Stowers and Kjersted were getting the same at bats as Mullins and Santander they would definitely be getting better results.  You don’t know that.  Santander is a switch hitter who is a proven steady run producer.  The defense would not be as good with a Cowser, Stowers, and Kjersted outfield.  If the Orioles were losing than there is a better argument to switch up players.  The Orioles are not losing.  Let the baseball people run the team as long as they continue to be successful.  Hayes is a part time player and I don’t see that changing.  

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

It’s simple.  Respected vets who have contributed to the team for a long time and are being paid a lot of money get ample chances to show that their slow starts were just a slump and they can work their way out of it.  Especially when the team is winning despite their slow starts.   

Anyway, it’s not like playing time hasn’t been adjusted. Mullins missed 44 games with injuries last year, but otherwise started in 103 of 118 games (87% of the games where he was available).   This year he’s started 41 of 52 games (79%).   Hays started 83% of the time last year; excluding his IL stint, he’s only started 53% of the games where he’s been available.  I’m sure there will be further adjustments if performance warrants it, but it’s not going to be an all or nothing thing.  

I think Stowers development is happening just is time.

The O's have 30 games in 31 days coming up.  That is the grind.   And with Santander, Mullins, Hays, Cowser and Stowers ability to start in the outfield and at DH the O's should be ready to withstand the fouls off the foot, the pains from the dives and hitting the wall every now and then.  

For me it's not about is there enough playing time.  Its with the injuries, bumps and bruises is there enough time to rest.

None of our outfielders are on any kind of heater. None are even close to all star conversation. Stowers has had a few good games and sure, he deserves more looks. He gives Hyde current options. We are winning and I expect Hyde will mix and match further to see if he can get Mullins, Santander, and Hays going. Would be nice if Cowser would be more consistant also. Both Mullins and Hays have shown signs. Santander if he ever gets going could carry the team. It's scary to think how good this team could be if the outfield started to click. June will be telling.

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

None of our outfielders are on any kind of heater. None are even close to all star conversation. Stowers has had a few good games and sure, he deserves more looks. He gives Hyde current options. We are winning and I expect Hyde will mix and match further to see if he can get Mullins, Santander, and Hays going. Would be nice if Cowser would be more consistant also. Both Mullins and Hays have shown signs. Santander if he ever gets going could carry the team. It's scary to think how good this team could be if the outfield started to click. June will be telling.

None of our outfielders are on any kind of heater. And that would include Stowers. unless you consider one game a heater. Talk about short sample size he went from OPS of .564 to .915 in one game and one of the doubles was a miss played gift. But I agree, Stowers confidence has got to be at a MLB high. Give him the start tonight with2 of 3 Hayes, Mullins or santander on the bench. I love when this board fusses over Starting Lineups. The team is now good enough that a weaker starting lineup means a stronger bench. who do you want PH in a key late inning AB? A battle tested Vet or a still trying to learn rookie

Posted (edited)

This is kind of a minor dumb detail, but I noticed Jarren Duran looking at his matchup cheat sheet with disgust after Kyle Stowers hit a double over his head.  My headcanon is saying that Duran was thinking, "Who the hell wrote on here that I should play Stowers shallow because he doesn't have power to this side of the field??"

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Hallas said:

This is kind of a minor dumb detail, but I noticed Jarren Duran looking at his matchup cheat sheet with disgust after Kyle Stowers hit a double over his head.  My headcanon is saying that Duran was thinking. "Who the hell wrote on here that I should play Stowers shallow because he doesn't have power to this side of the field??"

Yeah, he was definitely given bad intel, maybe they thought he was a dead pull guy or something.