Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

14 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mayo made his 9th start of the year at 1B last night. Elias is in a bind. He wants Urias’ defense at 3B as a sub if we pinch hit for Mateo in the playoffs, but Mayo is looking like a star. 

Silliness. Just move Westburg there and put Mateo at second. 

11 hours ago, baltfan said:

Silliness. Just move Westburg there and put Mateo at second. 

I think we should go with Mayo, but the situation would be her Westburg starts at 3B and Mateo at 2B. You pinch hit for Mateo in 3rd or 4th AB then Westburg has to slide over to 2B with Urias/Mayo at 3B?

If the playoff game is so close in the late innings(Mateo 3rd/4th AB) that you pinch hit for Mateo, do you want Mayo coming into the game?  Especially considering if it goes to extras with the bunt in play with the runner starting on 2nd. 

Urias doesn’t have any options to send down till September. Our only in house option would be to call up Holliday in September and the playoffs. Westburg could stay at 3B and Holliday come in for a pinch hit Mateo at 2B. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we should go with Mayo, but the situation would be her Westburg starts at 3B and Mateo at 2B. You pinch hit for Mateo in 3rd or 4th AB then Westburg has to slide over to 2B with Urias/Mayo at 3B?

If the playoff game is so close in the late innings(Mateo 3rd/4th AB) that you pinch hit for Mateo, do you want Mayo coming into the game?  Especially considering if it goes to extras with the bunt in play with the runner starting on 2nd. 

Urias doesn’t have any options to send down till September. Our only in house option would be to call up Holliday in September and the playoffs. Westburg could stay at 3B and Holliday come in for a pinch hit Mateo at 2B. 

Mateo wouldn’t be starting in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No matter what?    Lol

Yeah, he could start against LHP.   

That above scenario is the only reason I could see us keeping Urias right now. Would we want to lose a close playoff game because we pinch hit for Mateo to tie a game/get the lead, but lose the game because Mayo isn’t the defender Urias is. 

We have options after we trade Urias,

1. Just simply have Holliday on the playoff roster. If Mateo is pinch hit for, then Holliday just comes in at 2B. 1-1 substitution keeping Westburg at 3B.

2. We make a small trade for a defensive wiz that can play 3B and stash him on our roster and make sure he’s playoff eligible. 

Either way, this is a likely scenario in the playoffs, but it’s fixable. Get Mayo up here. 

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That above scenario is the only reason I could see us keeping Urias right now. Would we want to lose a close playoff game because we pinch hit for Mateo to tie a game/get the lead, but lose the game because Mayo isn’t the defender Urias is. 

We have options after we trade Urias,

1. Just simply have Holliday on the playoff roster. If Mateo is pinch hit for, then Holliday just comes in at 2B. 1-1 substitution keeping Westburg at 3B.

2. We make a small trade for a defensive wiz that can play 3B and stash him on our roster and make sure he’s playoff eligible. 

Either way, this is a likely scenario in the playoffs, but it’s fixable. Get Mayo up here. 

I’m not ready to concede that Mayo needs to be lifted for defense.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m not ready to concede that Mayo needs to be lifted for defense.

I respect your opinion, but there is no other reason to have Urias over Mayo right now. 

I guess we could get creative and keep Urias till September by option Cowser to get Mayo up here. Or we could go with a short bullpen and rotate fresh arms in the 7th pen spot. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If you pinch hit for Mateo, you put Mayo at third and Westburg at second.  That's more than fine.

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I respect your opinion, but there is no other reason to have Urias over Mayo right now. 

I guess we could get creative and keep Urias till September by option Cowser to get Mayo up here. Or we could go with a short bullpen and rotate fresh arms in the 7th pen spot. 

Elias likes his depth.  I think Mayo is up before the end of July.  Urias might even stay.

On 7/5/2024 at 10:20 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Asset management.  The team is doing fine w/o him.  He can be brought up when rosters expand allowing the team to hold on to Urias.  He will be up the next time there is an injury for a position player. 

Edited by emmett16

Coby struggling with throws at 3B tonight.  2 bad throws in first 3 inning.  Threw one in dirt that was picked.  Threw another one down the line that pulled 1B off the bag for E5.  I missed the first one (it was mentioned by the broadcaster).  On the E5 he was looking the runner back to second base, took an extra step and pulled it.  

Edited by emmett16

13 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Coby struggling with throws at 3B tonight.  2 bad throws in first 3 inning.  Threw one in dirt that was picked.  Threw another one down the line that pulled 1B off the bag for E5.  I missed the first one (it was mentioned by the broadcaster).  On the E5 he was looking the runner back to second base, took an extra step and pulled it.  

Thanks for the info. Tough for Mayo. As much as our offense is celebrated, you have to be elite defensively to crack our lineup.

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for the info. Tough for Mayo. As much as our offense is celebrated, you have to be elite defensively to crack our lineup.

I would not say the bar is set at elite.  He has to be major league average, or close.  It’s not clear that he is.