Craig Kimbrel 2024

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Loved Hyde's press conference. "We're going to stick with him". I guess you have 13 million reasons to despite him costing the team games.

What is he going to say?  No I am done with him.  He can say he will stick with him, but lets see who he puts in next save situation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Move him to the middle innings 5th-7th relief role until further notice. Move everybody else back a notch. Closer by committee until and unless somebody steps up and becomes unhittable. This idea that a team HAS to have that one guy come in for the save every time is just nuts. If you've got 2016 Zack Britton or 2023 Mountain in the pen then sure pencil them in to that spot. But if not then the job goes to whoever can get the outs.  

Yes, agreed.  Pretty simple solution in the short term.  Never go with Kimbrel again in a save situation.  

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Loved Hyde's press conference. "We're going to stick with him". I guess you have 13 million reasons to despite him costing the team games.

Can't believe he's going to give him more chances.  Well, maybe one more chance but it's inevitable Kimbrel will melt down again more likely sooner than later.  He just doesn't have it anymore.

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

Kimbrel has the yips. Strange that a long-time veteran can get it.

I haven't watched him pitch in awhile but it seems like he nibbles after he gives up a big hit, resulting in walks.  And he gives up more homers and big hits because he doesn't have the stuff he used to have.

I think Kimbrel is in his 15th year and no longer has elite stuff. If you don't have elite stuff AND your command sucks you aren't going to get many outs. Even well before today, I've thought we need to be bold and make a trade for a true closer. Now? It's not even bold... it's a necessity if we are serious about winning a WS.

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Put Kimbrel on the IL and let him rest up for a couple weeks. The Orioles cannot put him in any high leverage situations right now. The win rule is more important than the save rule.

Unless he's truly hurt I don't see how he needs rest.  He needs to be used in non-save situations if at all.

I was at the game which was a great game until Kimbrel’s 2 out meltdown and then what felt like PK shootouts (extra innings)

Not one O’s fan around me felt good when Kimbrel came in and it almost felt inevitable another save was going to be blown.

Glad O’s won but I’ve seen enough of Kimbrel. He did this with the Phillies at the end of the year and playoffs and now he’s doing it early for the O’s.

They’re not going to release him so just hope they start using him in different spots and he gets back on track but as they say hope is not a strategy.

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

Unless he's truly hurt I don't see how he needs rest.  He needs to be used in non-save situations if at all.

Give Kimbrel a chance to see if he can get his head right first. Kimbrel isn't ideal for mop up duty he's only used to pitching one inning each appearance.

Hopefully they can turn him into a 6th or 7th inning pitcher. The Orioles are going to give some time for Kimbrel to right himself, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a DFA candidate if the last two weeks become the norm for him.

19 minutes ago, accinfo said:

What is he going to say?  No I am done with him.  He can say he will stick with him, but lets see who he puts in next save situation.

He's going to stick with him, I have no doubt.