Jump to content

2024 Aberdeen Ironbirds


DirtyBird

Recommended Posts

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Baumeister's on there, all the way at the top.

Oops, duh…I just looked at the two columns and didn’t notice Baumeister straddling the two.  

But Lord knows where Lord is.
 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2024 at 4:53 PM, Frobby said:

Oops, duh…I just looked at the two columns and didn’t notice Baumeister straddling the two.  

But Lord knows where Lord is.
 

Lord is listed on the 7 Day IL for Delmarva.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Aberdeen’s record stands at 6-9 despite outscoring their opponents 73-62 so far.  Offensively, Creed Willems (1.137 OPS) and Matthew Etzel (.844) have been the bright spots, with last year’s no. 1 pick Enrique Bradfield Jr. (.661) a minor disappointment to this point.  This team runs wild on the bases, with 45 SB vs. 7 CS in 15 games.  Tavian Josenberger has 11 SB, Bradfield 9, Etzel 8.   

Several pitchers are off to good starts, including Cameron Weston with an 0.75 ERA, Moises Chace at 1.64, and Edgar Portes at 1.64.   Chace has whiffed 19 batters in 11 innings but also has 8 walks.  

@Tony-OH, I’m not an MIlb.TV subscriber, but I’ve heard reports that the cameras used to show the Aberdeen games area much better this year.  True?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Aberdeen has come on nicely since my last update, going 12-6 the last three weeks.  They’re at 18-15, two games off the division lead.  They rank 4th in R/G at 4.88, 6th in OPS at .671.  They’re scoring a lot of runs using their speed, as they’ve stolen 101 bases vs. 18 caught stealing, an average of more than 3 stolen bases per game.  They’ve stolen 32 more bases than any other team in the league.  Five of the top six bssestealers in the league are Ironbirds.

The pitching also has been good, 4th in ERA at 3.34 and 3rd in runs/game at 3.85.   They’ve outscored opponents by 34 runs in 33 games, a very healthy total (their Pythagorean record is 20-13).

Offensively, Creed Willems has been the star, leading the team in OPS (.896), SLG (.571), HR (7, nobody else has more than 2), and RBI (23). Willems ranks 2nd in the league in homers and 3rd in RBI.  Matthew Etzel (.835 OPS) leads the team in BA (.302), is 2nd in OBP (.392) and stolen bases (17) and is tied for the team lead in runs (19) and tied for 2nd in RBI (17).  Jalen Vasquez (.844 OPS) leads in OBP (.438, 2nd in the league). .  Enrique Bradfield Jr. missed two weeks but is still 3rd on the team with 17 runs and 15 stolen bases in only 19 games.  Tavian Josenberger leads the team in steals (20) and is tied for the lead in runs with 19.

On the pitching side, Moises Chace leads the team in IP (25.2), ERA (1.05) and strikeouts (36).  Zach Fruit has thrown 24.2 innings to a 3.28 ERA, Jackson Baumeister 21.0 innings at 2.57, Edgar Portes 25.2 at 2.81.  20-year old relievers Deivy Cruz and Yaqui Rivera have been very good, at 1.32 and 1.42 ERA, 0.878 and 1.026 WHIP.  Starter Levi Wells leads the team at 14.0 K/9 but has a ghastly 9.0 ERA.  Finally, Cam Weston pitched so well (0.54 ERA) that he was promoted a couple of weeks ago.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Aberdeen has come on nicely since my last update, going 12-6 the last three weeks.  They’re at 18-15, two games off the division lead.  They rank 4th in R/G at 4.88, 6th in OPS at .671.  They’re scoring a lot of runs using their speed, as they’ve stolen 101 bases vs. 18 caught stealing, an average of more than 3 stolen bases per game.  They’ve stolen 32 more bases than any other team in the league.  Five of the top six bssestealers in the league are Ironbirds.

The pitching also has been good, 4th in ERA at 3.34 and 3rd in runs/game at 3.85.   They’ve outscored opponents by 34 runs in 33 games, a very healthy total (their Pythagorean record is 20-13).

Offensively, Creed Willems has been the star, leading the team in OPS (.896), SLG (.571), HR (7, nobody else has more than 2), and RBI (23). Willems ranks 2nd in the league in homers and 3rd in RBI.  Matthew Etzel (.835 OPS) leads the team in BA (.302), is 2nd in OBP (.392) and stolen bases (17) and is tied for the team lead in runs (19) and tied for 2nd in RBI (17).  Jalen Vasquez (.844 OPS) leads in OBP (.438, 2nd in the league). .  Enrique Bradfield Jr. missed two weeks but is still 3rd on the team with 17 runs and 15 stolen bases in only 19 games.  Tavian Josenberger leads the team in steals (20) and is tied for the lead in runs with 19.

On the pitching side, Moises Chace leads the team in IP (25.2), ERA (1.05) and strikeouts (36).  Zach Fruit has thrown 24.2 innings to a 3.28 ERA, Jackson Baumeister 21.0 innings at 2.57, Edgar Portes 25.2 at 2.81.  20-year old relievers Deivy Cruz and Yaqui Rivera have been very good, at 1.32 and 1.42 ERA, 0.878 and 1.026 WHIP.  Starter Levi Wells leads the team at 14.0 K/9 but has a ghastly 9.0 ERA.  Finally, Cam Weston pitched so well (0.54 ERA) that he was promoted a couple of weeks ago.  

 

Nice summary.   Levi Wells last two starts combined.

7 IP, 4 hits, 3 walks, 1 run, 13 strikeouts.  Getting better.  Frankly, he looks better than Baumeister to me but Baumeister is bigger and younger so who knows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Their pitching continues looking good - 147 runs yielded league best by 14 over the 2nd place team, and just seeing Melewski tweet they will add Luis De Leon next week.

Nothing at that same moment about Chace moving up, so the Ironbirds staff might be extra interesting for a week or three.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ronald Guzman got into a game with them recently as that experiment progresses.

Looks like it was 5 batters faced - 1 strikeout and 2 HBP's.    HBP's are good for keeping your WHIP low.

Fun baseball story - he's been through the Crash Davis part of his career, now at near 30 he's Nuke again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Ronald Guzman got into a game with them recently as that experiment progresses.

Looks like it was 5 batters faced - 1 strikeout and 2 HBP's.    HBP's are good for keeping your WHIP low.

Fun baseball story - he's been through the Crash Davis part of his career, now at near 30 he's Nuke again.

The Guzman experience on Sunday afternoon was uh...interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yeah. I think the Ronald Guzman experience is going to be over after today's game. One hit, three walks, an error, a wild pitch, and one out recorded today. ERA at 30. WHIP at 3.75.

Edited by 733baseball
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...