Cedric Mullins 2024

DirtyBird

52 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Mullins and Santander, born a few weeks apart in October 1994, are I think a good example of the value of a year when players to get to this point in their careers.

They are both approaching the 3-0, Mullins has generally outplayed Santander in their careers, but even if Mullins stacks another ~2.8 win season next year, he'll feel like a bit riskier QO.

I feel like Santander's game could age better. He's a 40 homer guy who can shift to 1B and DH. In a small sample size, he's graded as a plus defender at 1st.

Mullins' value relies more on speed and defense, which could slip away faster with age.

54 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I feel like Santander's game could age better. He's a 40 homer guy who can shift to 1B and DH. In a small sample size, he's graded as a plus defender at 1st.

Mullins' value relies more on speed and defense, which could slip away faster with age.

I think that's right, but some of the value Santander provides relative to say Teoscar or Soler is combining the bat with being okay in RF.

81-66-76 and 33-33-21 are their 3-year sprint speed scans, to the extent speed is a predictor whether the gloves will hold up in their early 30's.    I think in both cases it'll be on some other Clubs watch longer term, though I'm very happy to have Mullins for 2025.

If the Yankees fail to retain Soto as I hope, I wouldn't be shocked if Burnes or Santander are contingencies on Cashman's winter decision tree.

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

This is the only circumstance that I would be in favor of resigning Santander.  I do not want him being a regular RF after this year.  The problem with using him as a DH is they like to use that position rotationally, and will probably be a spot to get Basallo and Mayo at bats.   Mountcastle would need to be traded. Anthony would really need to learn to play 1B and be adequate there. 

Edited by ChuckS

I think it’s premature to say whether the O’s would extend a QO to Mullins at the end of 2025.   It depends how he finishes 2024 and how 2025 goes.   But for argument’s sake, let’s assume his rate stats for this year stay the same, and he has a very similar year next year.  What’s the open market value for a guy like that?   Could a player like that get 3/$50 mm or 4/$60 mm?   If so, I think you’d probably QO him, expecting him to turn it down. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s premature to say whether the O’s would extend a QO to Mullins at the end of 2025.   It depends how he finishes 2024 and how 2025 goes.   But for argument’s sake, let’s assume his rate stats for this year stay the same, and he has a very similar year next year.  What’s the open market value for a guy like that?   Could a player like that get 3/$50 mm or 4/$60 mm?   If so, I think you’d probably QO him, expecting him to turn it down. 

It’s not premature. It’s part of calculus whether or not you trade him this offseason or not.

I think he should be traded.  He doesn't feel like a critical enough piece to the O's success currently and with only 1 year left we might as well let him walk and see if Cowser can handle CF full time.  He certainly looked the part this year.

I'm not sure if we'll get a great return for him but given all the pieces we've traded away recently it wouldn't be a bad idea to reload the farm and keep the talent pipeline going.  On top of that we can still sign a free agent.  (I'm still going to dream about Soto even though I don't think he's coming here.)

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Morosi conveniently left out his .000 average in last year's postseason. Hopefully Mullins is healthy and ready to go this time around. 

Well, he played in the postseason, didn’t he?   So, he’s a postseason player.   

What nonsense.