Colton Cowser 2024

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

The bottom of the ball is touching the line but let’s not argue what constitutes a borderline pitch.    The batter doesn’t have to like the pitch.  If he has 2 strikes he needs to try and hit the ball.   To say you don’t blame him for not swinging at the pitch seems to imply even with 2 strikes batters should  just swing at pitches they like.   Are you related to Pickles?

You're pretty funny. You must be off your meds or something being so combative with anyone who doesn't follow your party line. If he puts that ball in play it's likely a double play. He's a young LHB against a veteran LHP with good breaking balls. So I'd prefer he doesn't roll over on a low slider, yes. Now, I'm not going to get sucked into a 3 page whose "you know what" is bigger with you, it's a pitch a lot of guys take so I'm not going to knock Cowser for it.

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

Hey Brandon Hyde, how about this for a development program: if you make a bad swing decision, you're assigned homework to read the five page OH discussion about it. We will see flawless hitting in no time. 

Feels cruel and unusual to me.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

You're pretty funny. You must be off your meds or something being so combative with anyone who doesn't follow your party line. If he puts that ball in play it's likely a double play. He's a young LHB against a veteran LHP with good breaking balls. So I'd prefer he doesn't roll over on a low slider, yes. Now, I'm not going to get sucked into a 3 page whose "you know what" is bigger with you, it's a pitch a lot of guys take so I'm not going to knock Cowser for it.

You have the same baseball common sense as Pickles.  Brothers?  Cousins?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The rWAR numbers are up on baseball reference and the guy at the far left of the page is...Colton Cowser with .3 rWAR.

Mookie has already passed Luis Tiant, Goose Goslin, Willie Randolph, Duke Snider, Amos Rusie, Craig Biggio and Andre Dawson this season, and the Orioles haven't even played a road game.

On 4/3/2024 at 10:38 AM, Pickles said:

I'm saying if he couldn't hit it better than that, yeah, he shouldn't have swung.

He should have been looking for a pitch he could 1) Hit hard and 2) Hit to the right side of the field.  In that order.

Instead, he swings at a breaking ball, low and away, that's a borderline strike, and hits a weak ground ball.

Bad decision.  

If he doesn't swing, it's at worst 1-1 and he still has a chance to do 1 and/or 2 above.  Perhaps he gets the call and it's 2-0, and then he's in a better position to do either 1 or 2.

I can't believe the amount of discussion on one swing.  For what it's worth, I think you are all wrong,  It wasn't a poor decision, but it was poor execution.  It happens.  

On 4/3/2024 at 11:18 AM, Sports Guy said:

I think Pickles is a little bat sh!t crazy with some of his points here but the one thing I will say is that a good result doesn’t mean you make a good decision.

Correct and a good decision doesn't guarantee a good result.

17 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I doubt that Cowser has thought as much about this swing decision as the Hangout has by a factor of 10.

Not everybody on the Hsngout.  A couple of people who just can’t let an argument go.   

Honestly -let’s move on.   

7 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Mookie has already passed Luis Tiant, Goose Goslin, Willie Randolph, Duke Snider, Amos Rusie, Craig Biggio and Andre Dawson this season, and the Orioles haven't even played a road game.

Great assortment of baseball names.