Colton Cowser 2024

4 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I disagree.  Cowser is going to cool off at some point.  You let him work through it instead of putting him back on the bench.  As Tony said, Cowser is the starting LF for the Orioles. 

I'll be surprised if Hyde and Elias are ready to bury Hays on the bench. At the very least, he'll be the starter vs LHP (unless he keeps not hitting at all). I'm expecting to see it settle into something like a 60/40 split, unless Hays continues to play himself out of even that much PT (or Cowser continues to put up video game numbers). 

On 4/11/2024 at 8:46 AM, CaptainRedbeard said:

He has gotten lucky but the xwOBA is also much lower because he only has the one walk

This doesn’t make any sense to me.  Walks should affect wOBA and xwOBA exactly the same way and have no impact on the differential between the two.  

Anyway, I’m not going to worry about xwOBA today, following his two homer, one double performance.  

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s been tapping into his raw power at the expense of contact for quite awhile.  This is nothing different than he was doing in the minors.  17 homers and 18 doubles in 87 AAA games last year.   

Sure, he just needs to show that he can consistently carry that over to the big leagues. I think he will, but 26 PA with a 7:1 K/BB ratio don't prove it yet.

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

You don't envision a possible scenario where Hays, Mullins, and Santander are getting an equal amount of rest?

I would think you could play Cowser or Hays in center twice a week with Mullins sitting.  If Santander sits once a week and DH's 1-2 times a week, you can still have a split where every outfielder plays 4-6 times a week. 

This would make the most sense to me unless the FO is just completely down on Hays.  Looking at a larger sample size over the last few seasons, Hays, Mullins, and Santander have been relatively equal players.  Hays is not the only outfielder capable of going through extended cold spells. Mullins tends to fall into the same kind of slumps. 

Equal amount of rest imply interchangeable players, which our guys are NOT.

I don’t want Hays or Cowser playing CF 3/4 times a week. That is a serious defensive downgrade. Hays is not a legit MOO bat like Santander (save the rare occasions when he is super hot) otherwise that’s a downgrade offensively. The 2 interchangeable pieces are Cowser and Hays. And right now Cowser is white hot and Hays is ice cold. It makes no sense to split their time equally right now.

1 minute ago, deward said:

Sure, he just needs to show that he can consistently carry that over to the big leagues. I think he will, but 26 PA with a 7:1 K/BB ratio don't prove it yet.

I didn’t say he has proven anything.  You mentioned him tapping into his raw power like it was a new development.  He’s been doing this (power and high K’s) all along.   Except for his brief time in the majors last year where he showed zero power.

We actually have too much talent. We have totally screwed over Stowers and Kjerstad because there is no room for them. Stowers at the very least needs to be traded as soon as possible. He’s already 26 and Kjerstad is 25. 

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Equal amount of rest imply interchangeable players, which our guys are NOT.

I don’t want Hays or Cowser playing CF 3/4 times a week. That is a serious defensive downgrade. Hays is not a legit MOO bat like Santander (save the rare occasions when he is super hot) otherwise that’s a downgrade offensively. The 2 interchangeable pieces are Cowser and Hays. And right now Cowser is white hot and Hays is ice cold. It makes no sense to split their time equally right now.

I don't think Hays in CF would be great, but I also would like to see what CC can do in center.  I've seen reports that he can be adequate to very good.

30 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

It’s Freddy Peralta.  Milwaukee got rained out yesterday so Peralta is pitching tonight. 

Thanks for the catch.  Then take what I said and move it to Saturday.  It's the Milkman Show tonight.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I didn’t say he has proven anything.  You mentioned him tapping into his raw power like it was a new development.  He’s been doing this (power and high K’s) all along.   Except for his brief time in the majors last year where he showed zero power.

I was specifically talking about him tapping into it in the big leagues.

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

We actually have too much talent. We have totally screwed over Stowers and Kjerstad because there is no room for them. Stowers at the very least needs to be traded as soon as possible. He’s already 26 and Kjerstad is 25. 

Do you think there are ML teams who see our surplus, believe Stowers can be a ML starting OF right now, have offered us something of value, and Elias has refused?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 86this said:

Initially, DL Hall was going to start Friday but now he's slotted to pitch on Saturday.

Dammit, are you kidding?

Gotta hear Kevin Brown reminding us every 30 seconds that DL Hall is facing a former teammate?  I was picturing him tonight in a straightjacket because he couldn't point out to the audience about how he was facing guys he played in the minors with.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Santander will get a real 3/4 year contract (from someone else) in the offseason. As much as I like him, with all the bats will have ready in AAA, it just doesn’t make any financial sense to resign him.

Hays is fine as a 4th outfielder for the rest of the season. And probably after this year (depending on his performance) we either trade or non-tender him.

I see 2 spots opening up for next year (Santander and O’Hearn) for (Kerjstad and Mayo). We will also have to figure out a place for Basallo sometime next year as well. 

The year after that we will most likely replace Mullins with Bradfield Jr.

You can make a case for keeping Santander here on a 3-4 year deal, and trading Kjerstad for another asset. Not saying that's what they'll do, but I could understand it being considered as an option.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Do you think there are ML teams who see our surplus, believe Stowers can be a ML starting OF right now, have offered us something of value, and Elias has refused?

The possibility exists.  Maybe they've offered something of value but Elias disagreed.

I do believe Elias is a bit of a hoarder when it comes to prospects/talent.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm not mad at it at all...I mean, look where we are, it's hard to argue with the results.  

I also don't get mad and think that Stowers and Kjerstad are somehow being screwed over. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, deward said:

I was specifically talking about him tapping into it in the big leagues.

Ok. Your comment still confuses me.  It’s not a new approach.  He’s already sacrificed contact to tap into the power.

He's definitely got plus raw power, we just have to see if he can tap into it regularly without sacrificing his contact rate.