Colton Cowser 2024

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

I think Langford's a bad choice personally - he's been just straight up worse as a hitter than Cowser, and I imagine he's only getting some run because he got hot recently and took his OPS out of the bottom of the ocean.

I think the money makers think he's turned a corner and is going to catch fire for the second half. I have no idea, I don't bet, but I was just looking at the odds. I think Gil is taking a hit because nobody knows how long he's going to pitch this season or get shut down if Cole stays healthy.

He's got to stack more nights like tonight but not out of it yet.

Gil and Miller do probably need to back up, or at least slow down.     Gil seems to have righted the ship with two very good games since the bad 3-game stretch.

Do we know if Kjerstad is with the club on the roadtrip?    He could I guess be back any day to eat into the looks at RHP.

Skipping ahead to next year's draft, I guess at the maximum with a longshot PPI bonus pick and more likely compensation on Burnes/Santander QO's, Elias could have something in the neighborhood of picks 31-32-33 along with whatever natural first round slot the club plays its way to.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Just Regular said:

He's got to stack more nights like tonight but not out of it yet.

Gil and Miller do probably need to back up, or at least slow down.     Gil seems to have righted the ship with two very good games since the bad 3-game stretch.

Do we know if Kjerstad is with the club on the roadtrip?    He could I guess be back any day to eat into the looks at RHP.

Today was the 7th day of the concussion IL, he was injured on the 13th and it is retroactive to the last game you played prior to the injury. He should be available tomorrow, I believe.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

He was in the dugout tonight, so I figure they’re getting ready to roll him back out once he’s eligible.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Big homer last night. He tapped into that Red. 

108, 104, & 90MPH EVs in 3 ABs last night.  Could have easily had 2 hits.  Just missed the fly out to LF.  I’d say he had a pretty good night.  I believe all his hard contact will net results in the next 10 weeks. 

56 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

108, 104, & 90MPH EVs in 3 ABs last night.  Could have easily had 2 hits.  Just missed the fly out to LF.  I’d say he had a pretty good night.  I believe all his hard contact will net results in the next 10 weeks. 

As bad as he's been up till last night, Cowser deserves to start in CF over Mullins, who should be a bench player. Cowser is athletic and fields his position, even CF well. I think Cowser, if he learns how to hit off speed and breaking pitches, COULD be a fine player.But that's a BIG if. Palmer told me learning to hit off speed and change ups is much harder than hitting fastballs because you really cant tell the difference and recognise when an off speed pitch is coming. He says some players NEVER learn to hit off speed pitches.

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

As bad as he's been up till last night, Cowser deserves to start in CF over Mullins, who should be a bench player. Cowser is athletic and fields his position, even CF well. I think Cowser, if he learns how to hit off speed and breaking pitches, COULD be a fine player.But that's a BIG if. Palmer told me learning to hit off speed and change ups is much harder than hitting fastballs because you really cant tell the difference and recognise when an off speed pitch is coming. He says some players NEVER learn to hit off speed pitches.

It looks to me like he's been sitting on the off-speed stuff and got a little off-balance with his timing. He's looked better as of late. I think he will be fine. If he ends up finishing the year in the .230/.330/.450 ballpark with the GG defense in the OF and great baserunning.. his 2024 will be a great success and something to build upon.

It's easy to forget that he's still a rookie by status. How many rookie OFs hit 20 homers, 20 doubles, steal 10 bags, and end their first season with 2.0 WAR or better? Cause that is CC's pace for this year and if he catches fire like we saw in April, his numbers could be even better. I'll happily accept that out from my rookie OF and so will the O's. 

I am absolutely fine with what he has done so far this year. I'd like to see less swing and miss but his swing selection is excellent, his exit velos are good (which suggest a lot of bad luck but hey that's baseball), and he continues to play superb OF defense. People wanted to fight me last year when I was adamant that he can play a good CF. I'm now arguing with folks about his hitting, which I believe will come around as well. Watch him go about his business. He's gotten more comfortable as the year has gone and yes, the prolonged slump has not been great but the league adjusted to him and it's taken him a bit to adjust back to the league. He's going to be fine and I agree with you that he should be penciled into CF for the majority of the games going forward unless or until Ced goes on a heater (Ced by the way had a really strong second half of June but has cooled off again the last 15 or so games he's played). CC will be fine. They've been patient with him and with HK back they can rotate the OF more and play the hot-hand(s) alongside Ant.

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Cowser has the highest fWAR among AL rookies.

And there it is.  I don't get some of the hate he gets on here.   He flashes as I said.  Which as a rookie?  That is all I really care about.  Does he show signs of being very good?  Yes.  You can't expect a rookie to be super consistent.  Just flash. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Cowser has the highest fWAR among AL rookies.

And my man Joey right there with him. I’ve posted it countless times. I think Joey is today’s Jack Wilson with a better glove. The org chose JW, which I’m fine with the decision but man, Joey would have fit better than Ramon on this year’s team. I digress. This is a CC thread. That graphic should be a testament to ME and Co. drafting and developing guys. 

• Upvote 1

B-Ref gives Luis GIl a 2.5 to 1.2 edge.

I think the odds around 12-to-1 have it about right - either guy impacting the AL East race in its final weeks could make a big impression on voters if it is close.

Who gets the PPI pick if Mason Miller is an OAK-BAL rookie of the year?

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

B-Ref gives Luis GIl a 2.5 to 1.2 edge.

I think the odds around 12-to-1 have it about right - either guy impacting the AL East race in its final weeks could make a big impression on voters if it is close.

Gil has never pitched more than 108 innings in a season. He's at 102 right now. The Yankees have claimed there's not an innings limit, but if he begins to lose effectiveness at any point, I would be surprised if they didn't reduce his workload significantly even if not shut him down entirely. I doubt he's going to be a workhorse down the stretch.

The AL ROY really is Cowser's to win. Langford is all hype. And Miller is a relief pitcher who presently plays for one of the most listless teams ever. The Red Sox have a bunch of promising rookies, but none really stand out.

Cowser is up to a 754 OPs and 114 wRC+.

He is tied with Adley in fWAR (good for fourth on the team) and is just behind Westburg for second on the team. Burnes is also just barely ahead of him.

He is 8th in MLB in OAA, regardless of position.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser is up to a 754 OPs and 114 wRC+.

He is tied with Adley in fWAR (good for fourth on the team) and is just behind Westburg for second on the team. Burnes is also just barely ahead of him.

He is 8th in MLB in OAA, regardless of position.

Yeah there’s zero reason for him not to be playing virtually every day at this point. He’s easily their second best OF’er by both fWAR and bWAR. 

• Upvote 2