Colton Cowser 2024

29 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

But so many people here dislike him.

Make that make sense.

First of all, I’m one of his backers but it’s not difficult to see what his detractors didn’t or don’t like about him.  Up until recently he was helpless against changeups and curveballs and was vulnerable especially in high leverage situations, where he is/was the worst player in the league.

He’s obviously a very talented player who is figuring things out.  If I had to pick the current core it would be AR, GH, JW, and Cowser.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Make that make sense.

I love Cowser so don't take this as a slight on him but his bWAR and fWAR diverge pretty strongly, because they disagree on his defense.  bWAR thinks he's only slightly above-average as a defender, while OAA thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Even by B-R he's been a 3-win player or close to it, so that's not a great reason to actually hate him, but I would put sizeable error bars on his WAR totals because of that uncertainty.  I'm inclined to split the difference, because he really does look the part when it comes to defense, but I'm not sure if he's been so good that he should be worth more than a full win over an average defender while playing the outfield

Edited by Hallas

1 hour ago, Malike said:

By Vegas odds, yes.

image.thumb.png.14233be25b026ab73b40e391351e4a79.png

I’m not a gambler, so I have no idea what any of that means, but the other major candidates have all slipped in a big way, and Evan Carter is out for the season, so I figured Cowser was doing well.

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

I’m not a gambler, so I have no idea what any of that means, but the other major candidates have all slipped in a big way, and Evan Carter is out for the season, so I figured Cowser was doing well.

I'm not either but they are listed best to worst odds.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

By Vegas odds, yes.

image.thumb.png.14233be25b026ab73b40e391351e4a79.png

Cowser is going to have to keep it up, that Butler and Colt Keith are surging, Langford could get hot, Wells is playing middle of the order for the Yanks. 

On 7/29/2024 at 9:14 PM, OnlyOneOriole said:

Make that make sense.

Dislike?  I’ve pointed out that Cowser struggled for the longest time and he needed to adjust and make better contact. Now I’m pointing out that he looks like he tinkered over the ASB with his swing and looks good leading off. 

Sports at the MLB level is hard. So any little edge like “being a leadoff hitter” is just enough extra incentive to make a difference. 

Go win us the draft pick. Also, Iron sharpens iron, Kjerstad had taken playing time from Cowser. Cowser won it back. 

We're generally okay with him being the streakiest player in the galaxy I think, if it means he's going to end up with a ~.800 OPS, right?  Plus his defense is so, so much better than I expected after last season.  Even if you think OAA is an outlier, splitting the difference between DRS and OAA he's at least a +5 run defender in the outfield, which is more than half a win better than an average defensive outfielder.

Edited by Hallas

Per KB just now, Cowser’s homers have averaged 412 feet.  By comparison, Gunnar is at 402, Santander 398.  Obviously, Cowser hasn’t hit them as often, but when he gets hold of one, he can really put the hurt on.   

• Upvote 1

Now that he’s back on a tear, I really think he wins rookie of the year. Dude has been hitting balls hard all year long, they seem to be finding holes now and the way he’s been hitting homers lately, it’ll be tough to deny him if he gets to 25+. Plus he plays exceptional defense.