Colton Cowser 2024

16 minutes ago, AdamK said:

He earned that one! Extra innings with 2 on and 2 outs... :) 

I would've too.

Ok, but it’s not something that just started.   When he knows it’s out, he stands there for a second.

Rookie of the Year racing - it was interesting seeing Wilyer Abreu and Ceddanne Rafaela both a long series.

Abreu today has almost exactly the same 9% walk rate and 28% strikeout rate as Cowser.    I was surprised to see Fangraphs gives him even better baserunning value than Cowser.

Cowser's edge is volume, and half a win worth of defense, but Abreu's hitting advantage is substantial.

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Rookie of the Year racing - it was interesting seeing Wilyer Abreu and Ceddanne Rafaela both a long series.

Abreu today has almost exactly the same 9% walk rate and 28% strikeout rate as Cowser.    I was surprised to see Fangraphs gives him even better baserunning value than Cowser.

Cowser's edge is volume, and half a win worth of defense, but Abreu's hitting advantage is substantial.

I don't know if I've ever seen them give the ROY to a rookie hitting under .250.  I know batting average is archaic but no one can tell me that someone hitting under .250 is a good look for a major award winner when offense has a good chunk to do with the award. 

Cowser still certainly has a shot but he needs to snap out of his little funk he's been having in August and finish strong.   

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know if I've ever seen them give the ROY to a rookie hitting under .250.  I know batting average is archaic but no one can tell me that someone hitting under .250 is a good look for a major award winner when offense has a good chunk to do with the award. 

Cowser still certainly has a shot but he needs to snap out of his little funk he's been having in August and finish strong.   

Do some research next time, Jacob deGrom won it hitting .217!!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Kevin Brown assures us he's the favorite.     How many of those other guys have a t-shirt?

I know there is a tendency to look for supporting evidence once you have already formed your opinion on something.  But here is my issue with Cowser - he seems like the most un-clutch hitter, to me.  Almost every he gets up in a high leverage situation where we need a hit to score runs in a tight game, he strikes out or hits into a GIDP and kills a potential rally.  I'm sure that can't always be true,  but that is the bias I have formed in my mind and it's hard to shake it.   I need Cowser to start producing in the clutch to erase this bias. 

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I mean…Gunnar won it last year hitting .255 just last year. Colton is hitting .245. Is that really a material difference? It’s also entirely passed on the competition of the given year. 

With that HBP on the hand yesterday, and his recent struggles at the plate, I am worried we are about to see a slump again. The defense will always be there but this might be a rough 10 game stretch for him.

45 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cowser's lead as the better favorite for AL ROY has grown over the last few weeks, his currents odds are -250 and the next highest are Austin Wells at +500, Gil +750, and Abreu +900.

8 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

Cowser's lead as the better favorite for AL ROY has grown over the last few weeks, his currents odds are -250 and the next highest are Austin Wells at +500, Gil +750, and Abreu +900.

That's good, but I still don't like the skid he's on.  

What do people think of him batting leadoff virtually every game now?

I have mixed feelings on it.  He is about middle of the pack on our team in terms of OBP.   Highest K rate on the team excluding some small sample sizes.

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

What do people think of him batting leadoff virtually every game now?

I have mixed feelings on it.  He is about middle of the pack on our team in terms of OBP.   Highest K rate on the team excluding some small sample sizes.

Made sense when he was hot and Gunnar was struggling. I'd probably put Gunnar back there now, and then eventually Holliday.