Brandon Hyde 2024

Posted (edited)

Pinch hitting Urias for Stowers is one of the most stupid, and most predictable, moves from Hyde ever.  I know, I know, he won manager of the year last year, so he can do no wrong and he walks on water.  But man, in reality he does a bunch of bonehead/knee jerk type stuff, and only seems to trust the analytics he likes, while opposite numbers, like Stowers milb career numbers against lefties, he just ignores.  I really think he's overrated and the Os win more in spite of him, and less because of him.  

Edited by forphase1
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Love Hyde, and normally support the vast majority of his moves, but this was the worst-managed game of his career. We stole a win somehow, but man oh man. 

• Insistence on starting McCann (57 OPS+)
  • Playing Mullins over Hays
  • Not PHing O'Hearn for McCann (who cares if you lose the DH, it's the 8th inning, go for the win)
  • Bunting with 1 out with McCann (and with 2 strikes)
  • Urias for Stowers

Brutal. Everyone has a rough game, including managers, so it's whatever. But wow. 

Agree on all of these points. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Love Hyde, and normally support the vast majority of his moves, but this was the worst-managed game of his career. We stole a win somehow, but man oh man. 

• Not PHing O'Hearn for McCann (who cares if you lose the DH, it's the 8th inning, go for the win)
  • Urias for Stowers

Brutal. Everyone has a rough game, including managers, so it's whatever. But wow. 

McCann has to play and his career stats back up playing him mostly vs LHP. I don't see the issue there. He even got a base hit. 

If O'Hearn pinch hits they bring in a lefty and we're screwed. I don't think it was about the DH. I don't have the numbers but McCann is actually a pretty great bunter so I get the thought process there. 

Appears they don't want Hays on the field. Not sure what's up with that but guessing a medical thing more than a Hyde decision.

Urias is the only one I really, really don't get. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

• Urias for Stowers

I hope Hays is OK to play

Is he only able to play when weather conditions are perfect.  Pinch hitting Urias for anyone should never happen.  He's pretty much an automatic out.

I'm surprised McCann knew how to bunt.  Amazingly it almost worked.

O'Hearn is not an outfielder.  He's awkward out there and disaster is imminent any time he's in the outfield.  He caught a ball by sort of falling to the side.

I will beat the drum that Hyde is not a good manager until whenever the O's move on from him whenever that day will be. 

I don't care if he won manager of the year. Manager of the year always goes to biggest uderdog. Bochy should have gotten it.

Ned Yost won manger of the year once. 

Hyde is trying to keep Rutschman fresh so that is why McCann plays.  In a couple of years it will be Bassallo in the McCann slot.  Granted Mullins is struggling but his defense can't be replaced, and Bradfield hopefully can hit enough to make his way up and his D is 80 rated, plus he has Ricky Henderson speed.  This is not a finished product.  We are on pace to win 100+ games.  Enjoy the ride.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Really like Hyde but how he handled that game, particularly at the end, with the offense was awful.  

In some fairness to Hyde, the offense is making his job pretty difficult. But if you lack the confidence in McCann so much that you are bunting with him with 1 out and 2 strikes, you might as well just use O'Hearn and deal with whatever consequences later. One of your best hitters glued to the bench in the biggest spot of the game? 

Edited by interloper

25 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Pinch hitting Urias for Stowers is one of the most stupid, and most predictable, moves from Hyde ever.  I know, I know, he won manager of the year last year, so he can do no wrong and he walks on water.  But man, in reality he does a bunch of bonehead/knee jerk type stuff, and only seems to trust the analytics he likes, while opposite numbers, like Stowers milb career numbers against lefties, he just ignores.  I really think he's overrated and the Os win more in spite of him, and less because of him.  

Couldn't agree more. Stowers hit lefties well and finally had an opportunity to bat. Instead Hyde brings in one of our worst hitters. I know Hyde loves his vets but that was idiotic and honestly if I'm Stowers, I'm not too happy right now. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

In some fairness to Hyde, the offense is making his job pretty difficult. But if you lack the confidence in McCann so much that you are bunting with him with 1 out and 2 strikes, you might as well just use O'Hearn and deal with whatever consequences later. One of your best hitters glued to the bench in the biggest spot of the game? 

In Hyde's press conference, he said the bunt was off. That was all McCann.

No manager will look good when the entire offense is hacking away at every pitch.  I tend to only ever disagree with Hyde when he's burning through relievers too fast (IMO) but the position player usage today was brutal.

3 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Couldn't agree more. Stowers hit lefties well and finally had an opportunity to bat. Instead Hyde brings in one of our worst hitters. I know Hyde loves his vets but that was idiotic and honestly if I'm Stowers, I'm not too happy right now. 

If you're Stowers, you're happy to have two or three weeks in Baltimore again cause this is probably your last go-round here.