Brandon Hyde 2024

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

I saw a post on Twitter about how mediocre we’ve been ever since the HBP-filled series with the Yankees, and speculated that maybe Hyde lost the clubhouse with how he handled that situation. 

It’s Twitter so take it with a grain of salt. But the timeline does check out. Pretty weird how we went from clobbering the Yankees to 2+ months of this crap. 

I would also say the O's have been injury filled since that time as well. Don't get me wrong, they still have been mediocre,  but I don't believe that Hyde "lost" the team.

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I saw a post on Twitter about how mediocre we’ve been ever since the HBP-filled series with the Yankees, and speculated that maybe Hyde lost the clubhouse with how he handled that situation. 

It’s Twitter so take it with a grain of salt. But the timeline does check out. Pretty weird how we went from clobbering the Yankees to 2+ months of this crap. 

That's my opinion as well, but I never posted because it's such a conspiracy type thing. 

50 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

I keep thinking back to that robbery of a three run home run by that Rays centerfielder against Gunnar, it totally deflated me and maybe the team as well. 

If that's the case, this team is mentally weak. And this team has been struggling long before that. 

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'm not so sure I'd quibble over 302 vs 316. That's a 1.4% difference and over the span of 44 at bats, that doesn't even mean 1 extra hit.

I think in *that circumstance*, however, I really despise hitters going up there hacking on the first pitch when the pitcher is clearly struggling. And O'Hearn didn't have the excuse about facing a lefty. So that should have been O'Hearn's bread/butter.

To me it felt that O'Hearn went up there guessing/assuming he was going to get something middle/middle, and he was very, very wrong. 

I can see the thought of taking pitches in that situation with a pitcher struggling to throw strikes.  We can all debate on O'Hearns ability but he was your cleanup hitter yesterday so the hope is he gets a pitch and does some damage.  

My issue is more with how you are not just hunting a fastball there and making sure you get the bat head out in front instead of getting semi jammed and flaring it to left field.  If you are committed to swinging at that first pitch you have to be looking at a certain spot if you don't get it, you let it go.  You just can't get jammed in that situation. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know if Hyde's lost the clubhouse but I sure would like to be a fly on the wall. Even going back to the Austin Hays trade. I'm curious how that all went down. It seemed like that move took a lot of players by surprise.

There's sort of a malaise with this club and even listening to Hyde during his pressers, he seems worn out.

15 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I don't know if Hyde's lost the clubhouse but I sure would like to be a fly on the wall. Even going back to the Austin Hays trade. I'm curious how that all went down. It seemed like that move took a lot of players by surprise.

There's sort of a malaise with this club and even listening to Hyde during his pressers, he seems worn out.

Wouldn't you be worn out?  The guy has lost half his team to the IL, is running out pitchers and position players he probably never dreamed of ever meeting, let alone having to insert into the lineup, in his worst nightmares.  His team is in a long-term funk.  Sounds stressful as hell to me.  I don't think he's lost the clubhouse but I do think the season has worn on him and on others more than usual.

19 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I thought Elias traded Hays.

21 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

It's literally his job to deal with things like that.

At least none of his players have been outed as a pedophile. 

Not saying I want him dismissed because right now I'm on the fence. He's had a lot of injuries to deal so this has to be under consideration  but it's crazy how this season has went off the rails. My question is if you guys want to keep him do you suggest he relieves some of his coaches of their duties and for those who want him gone please give me some names that you like. 

Losing -> Frustration/The appearance of low energy 

Winning -> Fun/The appearance of high energy

In the absence of actual evidence (player conflicts, direct comments about clubhouse atmosphere, etc), I will always believe the "low energy" complaints are more due to the above than anything related to weak effort, the manager losing the clubhouse, etc. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was a reference to what the Rays had to deal with last year.

Are you also ignorant of what happens with every other team?

It was kinda a big deal.

Yeah I’m aware of it. I knew what you were referencing. 

Still a very low bar to clear. 

• Upvote 1