Brandon Hyde 2024

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

In my opinion, Akin is one of their best relievers and also the guy that can give them the most length. He probably could have gone longer, but 22 pitches is okay I guess.

But to only have him go 22 pitches and then only have Cano throw 8 pitches before pitching Kimbrel just seems… dumb. Both of them could have gone longer but instead, you go with the guy who has been your worst reliever the last 2 months in the 8th inning of a tied game and he blows the game. I would understand if he was the last resort, but he should not have been if the bullpen was used properly. 

I can’t argue too much.  I would like to have seen Cano come back out.   He’s certainly no lock but he’s a better option than Kimbrel.   Again, Kimbrel has had some good runs this year, had two scoreless appearances, and I think Hyde was probably hoping for another and getting Kimbrel back on track for September.   It backfired.   I disagree with calling it idiotic but whatever.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I can’t argue too much.  I would like to have seen Cano come back out.   He’s certainly no lock but he’s a better option than Kimbrel.   Again, Kimbrel has had some good runs this year, had two scoreless appearances, and I think Hyde was probably hoping for another and getting Kimbrel back on track for September.   It backfired.   I disagree with calling it idiotic but whatever.

Kimbrel isn’t Hyde‘s problem either, that’s Elias. But Hyde using too many relievers forced him to use Kimbrel there. That usage is on him. It really just makes no sense to use his two best relievers (besides Dominguez) a combined 1.1 IP, when one of them can easily go 2 IP by himself. Idiotic is probably too far, but I struggle to see how his usage makes any sense. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Agree to disagree.  Kimbrel had 2 previous good outings, but that's not nearly enough 'proof' that he's pitching better to put him in that situation.  Kimbrel should only be pitching in mop up duties for now.  And yes, at that point the options were limited, but again that's also on Hyde.  He should have never painted himself into a corner where he felt like bringing Kimbrel in the situation was the right/only move he had.  Maybe we lose anyway as the offense sure didn't do anything in the 9th.  But Hyde was a large contributor to this lose by his bullpen mismanagement.  

Ok but again, if you want to blame Hyde for not using Cano more, that’s fine. But once the situation came, there was really nowhere else to go. 

Kimbrel has to pitch and again, it was mostly bs that he gave up runs. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok but again, if you want to blame Hyde for not using Cano more, that’s fine. But once the situation came, there was really nowhere else to go. 

Kimbrel has to pitch and again, it was mostly bs that he gave up runs. 

Akin has been one of their top 3 relievers and could have easily pitched another inning. He’s averaging almost 1.1 IP per game but he only threw 0.2 IP tonight.

Cano threw 8 pitches. Kimbrel does have to pitch but he didn’t in that situation. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Kimbrel isn’t Hyde‘s problem either, that’s Elias. But Hyde using too many relievers forced him to use Kimbrel there. That usage is on him. It really just makes no sense to use his two best relievers (besides Dominguez) a combined 1.1 IP, when one of them can easily go 2 IP by himself. Idiotic is probably too far, but I struggle to see how his usage makes any sense. 

Just playing devils advocate here.   The less pitches thrown tonight keeps most of these guys available for tomorrows game.   Didn’t work out but it wasn’t a win turned into a loss.   If Akin goes 2.2 and Cano goes 1.2 and neither gives up a run in the additional inning (no guarantee), we still don’t have a lead going into the 9th.

I didn’t see the 4th inning, but if you ask me, Akin is just as responsible as Kimbrel for the loss.

28 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The loss of Bautista is a major blow and and the bullpen needed at least two additions to make up for his loss this year.  While I give the team credit for signing Kimbrel and spending the money it's not surprising to see him struggle. The signs have been there for a couple years now with Kimbrel.

Get some quality arms who can pitch going forward over the closer with the long and distinguished resume. I care more about the win rule than the save rule.

Yeah you don't have to sign Kimbrel, you can go else where.  And the thing is, if you do sign Kimbrel, you gotta get another high quality arm so if Kimbrel comes up snake eyes, you still have that other guy and you can manage the situation better.

Edited by O's84

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Akin has been one of their top 3 relievers and could have easily pitched another inning. He’s averaging almost 1.1 IP per game but he only threw 0.2 IP tonight.

Cano threw 8 pitches. Kimbrel does have to pitch but he didn’t in that situation. 

Ok you keep saying this but your position is wrong.

Whether you like the fact he burned through the relievers or not is irrelevant. The fact is that he did. So, once that happened, he didn’t have anywhere else to go.

Your position should be that Hyde should have handled the previous relievers better and not been in the position to bring in Kimbrel there. That would be a fair argument.

Yours isn’t, not in the way you are arguing it.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Just playing devils advocate here.   The less pitches thrown tonight keeps most of these guys available for tomorrows game.   Didn’t work out but it wasn’t a win turned into a loss.   If Akin goes 2.2 and Cano goes 1.2 and neither gives up a run in the additional inning (no guarantee), we still don’t have a lead going into the 9th.

I didn’t see the 4th inning, but if you ask me, Akin is just as responsible as Kimbrel for the loss.

Honestly, I agree. And I was thinking the same thing. But we also get an extra pitcher tomorrow and having no clue what tomorrow brings, it should have been all hands on deck to win tonight. 

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

But that’s the problem.  There is literally no situation for him.  How often do blow out wins happen or blow out losses ?   Do you clog up a roster spot for a guy that can only do mop up work a few times a month?  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok you keep saying this but your position is wrong.

Whether you like the fact he burned through the relievers or not is irrelevant. The fact is that he did. So, once that happened, he didn’t have anywhere else to go.

Your position should be that Hyde should have handled the previous relievers better and not been in the position to bring in Kimbrel there. That would be a fair argument.

Yours isn’t, not in the way you are arguing it.

I agree with what you said. I don’t think he should have burned though those guys like he did. 

1 minute ago, Wavetrapper said:

But that’s the problem.  There is literally no situation for him.  How often do blow out wins happen or blow out losses ?   Do you clog up a roster spot for a guy that can only do mop up work a few times a month?  

A normal team has blow out wins every once in a while. The Orioles lately don’t because they’ve frankly just been terrible. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Aiken sucked.  But he  has good outings from time to time.  Kimbrel has been a train wreck for 2 months at least.  He contributes nothing.