5-4 Start not horrible but should be better

Pat Kelly

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

When I say this, I’m talking more about the overall idea of having 3 lefty OFers. I’m not saying you can’t do it but is there an overall issue with too many lefties?

I believe Mayo is going to end up in RF, 1st and DH. Eventually Basallo is up at first, C and DH.

Holliday is a lefty. Henderson is a lefty. Bradfield (if he makes it) is a lefty.

We would have Mayo, Westburg and maybe Norby as the only righties long term. There may not be enough balance there.

I'm old enough to remember when Elias was hailed as a genius for moving the LF wall back to the Bromo-Seltzer Tower and stacking the org with LHH. I do worry about being too lefty-heavy; although I think that is likely to be a much more glaring issue during a short playoff series than during the regular season. I guess you have to hope the Kjerstad and Holiday prove to be platoon-neutral, and that Gunnar continues to make strides against LHP. It's also worth noting that Basallo murdered lefties last year.

Solid analysis by Jon Meoli that addresses much of what we are discussing

A few interesting takeaways:

“As the Orioles lost the fourth of their five games in which a lefty started for their opponent Sunday, that approach is looking wobbly. Their offense is scuffling at a time when their Triple-A affiliate enjoyed as eye-popping an offensive week as a club could have.”

From a rival scout:

Kjerstad “had the most comfortable at-bats I’ve ever seen in my life…impressed with the consistent quality of Stowers’ contact, Norby’s revamped offensive game and with Mayo’s power profile.”

Holiday has a 1.085 OPS driven by 10 walks. “At just 20 years old, he takes the best at-bats in all the minors.”

He also noted that Holliday didn’t put a foot wrong at second base, positing he’d be at least a plus defender there with the potential to play the position well immediately. He has only eight plate appearances against lefties, with a 1.375 OPS thanks to his opening day home run off one, and has not struck out against a lefty, either. Just three of the eight balls he’s put in play against lefties have been hit hard though.

1 hour ago, Say O! said:

Coby Mayo has played exactly ZERO games in the OF in his minor league career.  Discussion of his viability out there is hugely premature and extremely unlikely to be a MLB possibility in 2024.  So far, the Os seem committed to assessing his capabilities at 3B, and for as much Os state preferences for positional versatility, I find that to be very revealing.

Stop it. Real world evidence against opinions doesn't matter in these parts. It only matters when it proves opinions.

45 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

When driving home yesterday I started to think about media relationships with players and coaches. The media travels with the team, stays at hotel, and goes down to spring training. Do we expect them to ask tough questions. For example did anyone ask Hyde why he batted Hays/Mullins in the 7th inning over Hearn/Cowser, vs RHP? Going into the inning I said you hit Cowser for Hays and Ohearn for Mullins, play Kemp in CF after the inning. 1-2 run innings are not enough with a bullpen knowing Kimbrel and Coulombe were out that game.

Before the game I told the person I was watching with, I’d rather watch Cowser strike out 8 straight times than Hays play. Cowser was a top 100 prospect his entire professional career by all publications, and it is time to see if he sinks or swims. 

The media (and we) know the answer. Hyde will point to defense (and the recent diving catches) as to why they are getting starts in the OF. Hyde has already answered about hitting scuffles where Hays/Mullins timing is off right now, but essentially he’s not worried about it.

that’s the answer for now. It will become a louder voice if the status quo continues throughout the rest of April. 

8 minutes ago, Say O! said:

The media (and we) know the answer. Hyde will point to defense (and the recent diving catches) as to why they are getting starts in the OF. Hyde has already answered about hitting scuffles where Hays/Mullins timing is off right now, but essentially he’s not worried about it.

that’s the answer for now. It will become a louder voice if the status quo continues throughout the rest of April. 

This doesn't sound like a "timing is off" answer. There have been a couple games where he clearly is upset with the team's approach at the plate:

16 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Everyone keeps saying Hays/Mullins. The problem is bigger than those two. This is what they are doing after the first two double digit run games of the season.

image.thumb.png.60c1f5aa57484c4d0692cc1eaf2bc9f6.png

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

Don't want to platoon Mountcastle, but maybe he plays 5 games a week. O'Hearn is better in a limited role, IMO. Plenty of ABs to go around for Stowers, Mullins, and Cowser. Maybe you forgot that Santander is a switch hitter. Hays to sit vs RHPs and we have 3 LH bats in the OF and Santander DH'ing, assuming Stowers is a defensive upgrade in RF.

Ok.  Cowser platoons with Hays.  Sounds like you want to give most of O’Hearns AB to Stowers.   O’Hearn OPS .800 last year and is off to a good start.   You’re pretty sure Stowers will do better?

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

When driving home yesterday I started to think about media relationships with players and coaches. The media travels with the team, stays at hotel, and goes down to spring training. Do we expect them to ask tough questions. For example did anyone ask Hyde why he batted Hays/Mullins in the 7th inning over Hearn/Cowser, vs RHP? Going into the inning I said you hit Cowser for Hays and Ohearn for Mullins, play Kemp in CF after the inning. 1-2 run innings are not enough with a bullpen knowing Kimbrel and Coulombe were out that game.

Before the game I told the person I was watching with, I’d rather watch Cowser strike out 8 straight times than Hays play. Cowser was a top 100 prospect his entire professional career by all publications, and it is time to see if he sinks or swims. 

Weakening your defense with a lead. 

33 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

This doesn't sound like a "timing is off" answer. There have been a couple games where he clearly is upset with the team's approach at the plate:

He has called them out multiple times. Been pretty blunt. 

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He has called them out multiple times. Been pretty blunt. 

Right. He said Hays is a good hitter “when he swings at strikes”.   He also talks about almost every hitter being at their best when they’re, at least sometimes, driving the ball the other way.   When is the last time Gunnar or Hays drove one the other way?   Henderson did it very early.  Hays not at all.

59 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Solid analysis by Jon Meoli that addresses much of what we are discussing

A few interesting takeaways:

“As the Orioles lost the fourth of their five games in which a lefty started for their opponent Sunday, that approach is looking wobbly. Their offense is scuffling at a time when their Triple-A affiliate enjoyed as eye-popping an offensive week as a club could have.”

From a rival scout:

Kjerstad “had the most comfortable at-bats I’ve ever seen in my life…impressed with the consistent quality of Stowers’ contact, Norby’s revamped offensive game and with Mayo’s power profile.”

Holiday has a 1.085 OPS driven by 10 walks. “At just 20 years old, he takes the best at-bats in all the minors.”

He also noted that Holliday didn’t put a foot wrong at second base, positing he’d be at least a plus defender there with the potential to play the position well immediately. He has only eight plate appearances against lefties, with a 1.375 OPS thanks to his opening day home run off one, and has not struck out against a lefty, either. Just three of the eight balls he’s put in play against lefties have been hit hard though.

There are a few posters here, who watch the games, who would question his description of Hollidays defense so far.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There are a few posters here, who watch the games, who would question his description of Hollidays defense so far.

Defense has looked good for Holliday at 2B in Norfolk. There have been a ton of balls put in play in that Charlotte series too.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Defense has looked good for Holliday at 2B in Norfolk. There have been a ton of balls put in play in that Charlotte series too.

Haven't seen the plays, but he does have 2 errors in 7 games there

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Haven't seen the plays, but he does have 2 errors in 7 games there

He made an awful underhand toss to the SS on a DP ball in the first or 2nd game of the year. Just lobbed it way over his head. He's made some really athletic diving plays. I'm not sure what the 2nd error was.

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

Not what I’ve been reading on the minor league board although I thought he looked good there in ST.