Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He needs to catch more, DH less and have more actual days off.

Hopefully they get Mayo up here and stop using McCann vs lefties so much…because he’s terrible.

SG , regarding having Adley play catcher more , his batting stats are lesser than batting stats as an DH . I know I saw the stats on this forum somewhere . Anyway, would you be okay with sacrificing his best batting stats just so he can play more catcher ?

3 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

SG , regarding having Adley play catcher more , his batting stats are lesser than batting stats as an DH . I know I saw the stats on this forum somewhere . Anyway, would you be okay with sacrificing his best batting stats just so he can play more catcher ?

The thing no one talks about with this is that he mostly bats right handed when he DH’s and the right side is his stronger side. 

If you don’t feel he can hit as a catcher, trade him and get a lot of value for him while everyone thinks hes the best catcher in baseball. 

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

We watch Adley all weekend. He looks tired. The 3 games were brutally hot and he caught the first two and DH'ed on Sunday. The weather was brutally hot and humid. Typical Balmer summer days. You have to believe that he gets more time off in the second half, but they are riding him really hard. Yankees were in town. You need his bat in the lineup. I get it. 

Let's hope the Allstar Break is an opportunity to chill and refresh. He needs it.

They really aren’t riding him that hard.  He ranks 13th in innings caught.  Last year he was 11th.   Yeah, he DH’s almost every game where he doesn’t catch.  I’d say DHing requires maybe 10% of the physical and mental exertion that catching does.   I don’t expect the O’s to back off him in the second half, any more than they’ve already done.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The thing no one talks about with this is that he mostly bats right handed when he DH’s and the right side is his stronger side. 

If you don’t feel he can hit as a catcher, trade him and get a lot of value for him while everyone thinks hes the best catcher in baseball. 

That’s the thing though , I want Adley to be full time DH . His DH batting stats are superior to his batting stats as a catcher . I need google and locate the stats and display them for you .  I’m not advocating for trading Adley , just saying he’s better as DH than as catcher. I know you and others are complaining about McCann batting,  he is because he’s our catcher . Can O’Hearn , Cowser , Mayo play catcher instead ? 

• Confused 1

Just now, Allan Bryant said:

That’s the thing though , I want Adley to be full time DH . His DH batting stats are superior to his batting stats as a catcher . I need google and locate the stats and display them for you .  I’m not advocating for trading Adley , just saying he’s better as DH than as catcher. I know you and others are complaining about McCann batting,  he is because he’s our catcher . Can O’Hearn , Cowser , Mayo play catcher instead ? 

Did you not read what I said?

If he only (or mostly) DH’s from the side of the plate that his splits are way better at, don’t you think that will mean his DH splits are better than his catchers splits?

1 minute ago, Allan Bryant said:

Is this satire?

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Did you not read what I said?

If he only (or mostly) DH’s from the side of the plate that his splits are way better at, don’t you think that will mean his DH splits are better than his catchers splits?

Yes I read what you said . I just misunderstood what you meant .  My bad 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There’s a lot of overlap.  I believe Adley has DH’d in 24 games vs. a LH starter and 7 games vs. a RH starter.   He has started at catcher in 54 games vs. RHP and 4 games vs. LHP.  Of course, once the starter gets pulled, he’s seeing a mix of RH and LH pitchers, regardless of whether he’s catching or playing DH.  So, it’s hard to sort out exactly how much of Adley’s better hitting as a DH comes from the fact that he sees a lot more lefties when he DH’s, but it’s clearly a major factor.    I looked to see if I could find two-factor splits (e.g., vs. LHP as a catcher) but was unsuccessful.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s a lot of overlap.  I believe Adley has DH’d in 24 games vs. a LH starter and 7 games vs. a RH starter.   He has started at catcher in 54 games vs. RHP and 4 games vs. LHP.  Of course, once the starter gets pulled, he’s seeing a mix of RH and LH pitchers, regardless of whether he’s catching or playing DH.  So, it’s hard to sort out exactly how much of Adley’s better hitting as a DH comes from the fact that he sees a lot more lefties when he DH’s, but it’s clearly a major factor.    I looked to see if I could find two-factor splits (e.g., vs. LHP as a catcher) but was unsuccessful.   

If he only has 4 starts as a righty hitter as a catcher, the splits won’t matter anyway.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I would say if you don’t feel he can hit as a catcher then move him to DH full time and enjoy the 996 OPS from your DH spot.

2 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

I would say if you don’t feel he can hit as a catcher then move him to DH full time and enjoy the 996 OPS from your DH spot.

Except he’s not a good enough hitter do that over a full season.

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I hope Basallo isnt traded. He needs to learn the position better but I believe if he continues on this path he COULD be the Oriole backup catcher next year. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If he only has 4 starts as a righty hitter as a catcher, the splits won’t matter anyway.

He’s probably seeing plenty of RH relievers in the DH games, though. 

2 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

For his career it's .906 vs .758 with 436 PA's as DH. The split has gotten progressively wider each year.