We need at least 3 decent innings from our starter today

RZNJ

Because Webb, Tate, Coulombe, Cano, Akin, and Kimbrel should be good for an inning.  Even Ramirez and Baumann should be able to go 1.   I would have a lot more confidence in Albert Suarez giving us 3 good innings but it’s probably going to be Zimmerman.    We just need him not to get blown up in the first 3 innings.   It will be a very quick hook after that, IMO.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I would try to avoid using Akin today.

Because he sucks or because the 1/3 inning he pitched Sunday is too much? If the starter can't get through five, I'd probably throw Akin  in there to take one for the team as long as it takes, then send him back down. With Bauman and YR out of options, he is the most expendable guy. Then give Vespi another look.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Because Webb, Tate, Coulombe, Cano, Akin, and Kimbrel should be good for an inning.  Even Ramirez and Baumann should be able to go 1.   I would have a lot more confidence in Albert Suarez giving us 3 good innings but it’s probably going to be Zimmerman.    We just need him not to get blown up in the first 3 innings.   It will be a very quick hook after that, IMO.

Agreed, I’d prefer it was Suarez and maybe that’s why banuelos was up, to open a spot on the 40 to get Albert his shot. We all know Zimmerman is just…not as good, and Hyde wants to win so Suarez should be the guy. 

but it’ll probably be Zimmerman. Sadly. I mean, at least with Suarez there’s some upside. He may be good. Little upside with Zimmerman. 

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I would try to avoid using Akin today.

Why?  He pitched to 3 batters on Monday.  Struck the first guy out.  Single to the next guy and then like a long AB where the hitter kept fouling off 2 strike pitches before getting a hit.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why?  He pitched to 3 batters on Monday.  Struck the first guy out.  Single to the next guy and then like a long AB where the hitter kept fouling off 2 strike pitches before getting a hit.

Prior to that he pitched to 6 batters on Saturday (25 pitches) and 7 batters last Wednesday (31 pitches), both over multiple innings. So I think ideally he gets two off days between appearances. That is how he will be able to maintain being a multiple inning option throughout the season.

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Because he sucks or because the 1/3 inning he pitched Sunday is too much? If the starter can't get through five, I'd probably throw Akin  in there to take one for the team as long as it takes, then send him back down. With Bauman and YR out of options, he is the most expendable guy. Then give Vespi another look.

Vespi - the guy walking over 4/9 innings in AAA?

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Prior to that he pitched to 6 batters on Saturday (25 pitches) and 7 batters last Wednesday (31 pitches), both over multiple innings. So I think ideally he gets two off days between appearances. That is how he will be able to maintain being a multiple inning option throughout the season.

Conversely, with the off day tomorrow, you could have him go two, then have him as the only unavailable guy on Friday. ESP. Since you can probably send Suarez back down and not need another starter until Tuesday, giving you an extra arm in the bullpen for that stretch. 

Then I would have said call up Justin Armbreuster, but he’s looked a bit rough as of late (just going by game logs)

10 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Conversely, with the off day tomorrow, you could have him go two, then have him as the only unavailable guy on Friday.

I don't think it is worth pushing him for two innings today, in an April series that is already won.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Have you ever managed people for a living?  Hays is going nowhere, even if that might make sense from a pragmatic point of view (which is highly debatable).  

I don't think it is that highly debatable that it would make sense. 

- We need an extra arm more than we need Hays today

- We have assets on the 40 man roster that can replace Hays for the next 10 days

Tell me how that is not logical