We need at least 3 decent innings from our starter today

RZNJ

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Have you ever managed people for a living?  Hays is going nowhere, even if that might make sense from a pragmatic point of view (which is highly debatable).  

I wouldn’t option Hays — yet. But he is a complete disaster right now. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He has a 2.2 BB/9 for his career and lower career ERA than Akin. He's fine and only needs to be up for a few days until Akin is rested again. 

And Akin currently has < 1.00 WHIP and FIP, 11.0 K/BB rate and has been the only arm in the pen to give multiple innings. So, optioning him would be idiotic

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

I wouldn’t option Hays — yet. But he is a complete disaster right now. 

Sure he is.  And to me, even in past slumps, I’ve never seen him look quite this bad.   But he’ll be given plenty of opportunity to snap out of it.  Meanwhile, he’s got a good attitude and is a positive presence in the dugout.   

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I would consider optioning Bañuelos and Hays, and bringing up both Suarez and Zimmerman for today.

Then bring up Stowers to cover the days that Hays would need to remain down.

Please do a review on roster construction. Hays is losing playing time and is turning into a 4 outfielder that is RH bat. Even it they were to do that then you're Complaint would be the ABs hes not getting.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure he is.  And to me, even in past slumps, I’ve never seen him look quite this bad.   But he’ll be given plenty of opportunity to snap out of it.  Meanwhile, he’s got a good attitude and is a positive presence in the dugout.   

He is 2023 Ryan McKenna, whose option would be used for the good of the team

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don't think it is that highly debatable that it would make sense. 

- We need an extra arm more than we need Hays today

- We have assets on the 40 man roster that can replace Hays for the next 10 days

Tell me how that is not logical 

I agree that if this were a video game, it would make sense to option Hays. But since these are real people, you have to treat them with the respect they’ve earned. Not to say Hays can play like this indefinitely, but there’s no reason to think he will. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

Please do a review on roster construction. Hays is losing playing time and is turning into a 4 outfielder that is RH bat. Even it they were to do that then you're Complaint would be the ABs hes not getting.

Which is why it would make sense to option him to bring in a fresh arm. And why I said Stowers, and not Kjerstad, is because I wouldn't care about the AB's he got.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don't think it is that highly debatable that it would make sense. 

- We need an extra arm more than we need Hays today

- We have assets on the 40 man roster that can replace Hays for the next 10 days

Tell me how that is not logical 

What extra arm minus 1 plus 1 still comes out to 13 What does Hays have to do with a extra picture?

• Upvote 1

Just now, DirtyBird said:

He is 2023 Ryan McKenna, whose option would be used for the good of the team

I’m talking about the way you manage human beings.  Hays has been an important player on this team for several years.  You don’t option guys like that at the first sign of trouble.  No team would do that at this juncture.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I agree that if this were a video game, it would make sense to option Hays. But since these are real people, you have to treat them with the respect they’ve earned. Not to say Hays can play like this indefinitely, but there’s no reason to think he will. 

If Suarez pitches 4 innings, gives up 5 runs and we are in a close game, please tell me a non-video game like way to manage 5 bullpen innings.

2 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

What extra arm minus 1 plus 1 still comes out to 13 What does Hays have to do with a extra picture?

21 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I would consider optioning Bañuelos and Hays, and bringing up both Suarez and Zimmerman for today.

Then bring up Stowers to cover the days that Hays would need to remain down.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m talking about the way you manage human beings.  Hays has been an important player on this team for several years.  You don’t option guys like that at the first sign of trouble.  No team would do that at this juncture.   

But you can make a short term roster move to save a pen that has pitched way too much over the past 5 days.

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If Suarez pitches 4 innings, gives up 5 runs and we are in a close game, please tell me a non-video game like way to manage 5 bullpen innings.

We have 6 guys in the bullpen who didn’t pitch yesterday. They can cover 5+ innings. 

• Upvote 1