We need at least 3 decent innings from our starter today

RZNJ

3 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

It says this at the bottom:

While not officially part of the 40-man roster, players on the 60-day injured list (IL-60) are included on the 40-Man tab.

Ah yes, the fine print. Good find. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It made no sense to use Baumann yesterday.  Today is a perfect game to use Baumann for 2 or 3 innings.

It made sense when Grod went from 23 pitches after 3 innings to 87 after 6. There was a time in that game that i thought if GRod gets thru 8, That today's game, with every body off tomorrow would be a bullpen game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, interloper said:

They needed to free up the 40-man spot. They were at 40 but Suarez was not on it. 

I don't think Banuelos will have any problem clearing waivers. 

Banuelos was only activated because he was on the "taxi" squad. the Orioles did him a solid giving him an at bat last night. It very well could be the only one he ever gets in the big leagues. He spent all of 2023 in AA, and has a career .209/.268/.394/.662 slash line in AAA. He's pass through waivers and if not, good luck to him.

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2024 at 10:15 AM, Tony-OH said:

Banuelos was only activated because he was on the "taxi" squad. the Orioles did him a solid giving him an at bat last night. It very well could be the only one he ever gets in the big leagues. He spent all of 2023 in AA, and has a career .209/.268/.394/.662 slash line in AAA. He's pass through waivers and if not, good luck to him.

I thought to myself... what is the financial impact to David Banuelos for his 1 AB in MLB besides always being able to say he was a professional MLB baseball player which thru 4/17/24 there were 20,587 of...  He was earning $35,800 per year as a AAA player (breakdown of this is elsewhere but in season it is $1200 a week).  He earned approximately $4,568 for his 1 game.  But by being added to the 26 man, his AAA salary bumps to $60,300 in 2024.  Assuming he passes thru waivers and accepts back to Norfolk, and doesn't make it back to MLB this year... he will have earned an additional $28,800 (ish).  

If he gets added to 26 man for a 2nd time and goes back down to AAA... he minimum AAA salary doubles to $120,600.

I don't know how the offseason pay breaks down for AAA with MLB time so it could be more?

So David had got a nice little MLB lotto scratch off winner this week with his 1 AB.  Not bad for what I have to believe was the third string AAA guy this year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CHIP said:

I thought to myself... what is the financial impact to David Banuelos for his 1 AB in MLB besides always being able to say he was a professional MLB baseball player which thru 4/17/24 there were 20,587 of...  He was earning $35,800 per year as a AAA player (breakdown of this is elsewhere but in season it is $1200 a week).  He earned approximately $4,568 for his 1 game.  But by being added to the 26 man, his AAA salary bumps to $60,300 in 2024.  Assuming he passes thru waivers and accepts back to Norfolk, and doesn't make it back to MLB this year... he will have earned an additional $28,800 (ish).  

If he gets added to 26 man for a 2nd time and goes back down to AAA... he minimum AAA salary doubles to $120,600.

I don't know how the offseason pay breaks down for AAA with MLB time so it could be more?

So David had got a nice little MLB lotto scratch off winner this week with his 1 AB.  Not bad for what I have to believe was the third string AAA guy this year.

Nice, I didn't realize they got salary bumps for getting put on the 40-man for a day. Does this work for players in the offseason or only in season? Like, if a guy is added in February, then DFA'd in March before the season and passes through waivers and is assigned to a minor league team, does he still get the salary bump for that season?

1 hour ago, CHIP said:

Is it still true that they get the MLB health care for life for getting onto the active roster? Or is that a myth. 

Edited by interloper

21 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Nice, I didn't realize they got salary bumps for getting put on the 40-man for a day. Does this work for players in the offseason or only in season? Like, if a guy is added in February, then DFA'd in March before the season and passes through waivers and is assigned to a minor league team, does he still get the salary bump for that season?

My notes are specific to the CBA documentation that has been shared online.  So 740K/162 games is the daily game pay.  DB was not just added to the 40 man as the bump is specific to being added to the 26 man.  I don't know if being added to a 40 man makes a difference as I don't read it that way.  There seems to have been these pay bumps for MLB service call ups and before the MILB CBA that took them from $17K (Ish) a year to $35K (ish) the bumps were even more significant.  

@interloper inquired about medical and I have absolutely no idea about health insurance requirements with MLB as I haven't googled or spoken with anyone as I haven't thought about that... until now.

Banuelos and Perez were both free agent signings.  As was Kolo/Godoy/Bemboom.  So the free agents can opt out at the end of the year (i believe unless they extend).  This opportunity for Banuelos could have been a move to keep him 'content' in earning a bigger check to sit on the Taxi Squad more than on the Norfolk Roster?  With Perez being a 2+ time MLB veteran we know he is pulling at least $120K while in Norfolk but I would also expect he would have an opt out clause somewhere/sometime if it looks like he isn't getting any opportunity with O's.  So his team will likely put out feelers before that time comes to see if there are other opportunities better than the one with the O's on Norfolk/Taxi rosters.

Handley is still under MiLB control for this year and I think next year, so there is no advantage to them from a business perspective to put him on 40/26 man and then if a DFA is needed he could opt of going back to Norfolk.  For Handley he has shown some flash in the bat this year with improved K rate but seems his contact is resulting in outs more than hits.  Eventually if they start falling for hits, and his offense improves )and he also controls his throwing as with our pitching he seems to be forcing some of his throws) but it's baseball and it is early.

Overall, the Norfolk team seemed to play like a team last year.  I think there are so many on the edge, or think they are on the edge, that they are now all playing for themselves... and we also need to understand that AAA is like JV and record doesn't matter to the O's brass unless it benefits their marketing.  It is where we keep the guys ready, getting ABs and Innings, but the record doesn't matter on promotions/demotions.

On 4/18/2024 at 2:02 PM, interloper said:

Is it still true that they get the MLB health care for life for getting onto the active roster? Or is that a myth. 

“There’s a popular misconception that any professional baseball player who spends even one day on a major league roster will receive free health care for life. In reality, that’s not true. Instead, what one day of service gives you is the right to buy into a healthcare plan, which isn’t really the same as free, comprehensive coverage. A player’s eligibility for health and pension benefits is tiered, and depends on how much time the player spent on a major league roster, how much service time he accrued, and can even be a matter of which years he played, as different benefits are available to different eras of players. Different plans carry different co-pays and have varying coverage maximums.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/micah-bowie-player-benefits-and-another-front-in-labors-fight/

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“There’s a popular misconception that any professional baseball player who spends even one day on a major league roster will receive free health care for life. In reality, that’s not true. Instead, what one day of service gives you is the right to buy into a healthcare plan, which isn’t really the same as free, comprehensive coverage. A player’s eligibility for health and pension benefits is tiered, and depends on how much time the player spent on a major league roster, how much service time he accrued, and can even be a matter of which years he played, as different benefits are available to different eras of players. Different plans carry different co-pays and have varying coverage maximums.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/micah-bowie-player-benefits-and-another-front-in-labors-fight/

I was watching the James/Redick podcast the other day and they said it's a full 10 years to get the NBA Healthcare.  (I assume that's the highest tier)

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting, thanks! If it sounds like a myth (especially when it comes to health care lol) it probably is.