We need at least 3 decent innings from our starter today

RZNJ

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not sure why folks are factoring Hays into this roster move when Banuelos is right there as the obvious DFA candidate. I'd certainly rather have an extra outfielder on the roster than a third catcher, even if the outfielder isn't hitting right now. He at least can play defense. 

Hays' demise is way overblown IMO. 

Banuelos has options, why would he be DFAed?

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Banuelos has options, why would he be DFAed?

Well, it depends on if you're adding Suarez or Zimmermann. If it's Zimm, you're right, just option. If it's Suarez, he needs to be added to the roster. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not sure why folks are factoring Hays into this roster move when Banuelos is right there as the obvious DFA candidate. I'd certainly rather have an extra outfielder on the roster than a third catcher, even if the outfielder isn't hitting right now. He at least can play defense. 

Hays' demise is way overblown IMO. 

Because I mentioned considering moving both and bringing up 2 arms. But I forgot about the rule limiting the roster to 13 pitchers.

Also, that is a dumb rule. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Cano shouldn't be used today either. Faced 6 batters on both Sunday and Monday.

Maybe.  He threw 22 pitches on Sunday and 20 on Monday.  I’ll let Elias and Hyde figure it out.

Technichally, every pitcher in the pen could be available today.  No one would be pitching 3 days in a row.   It would be nice to stay away from certain guys but we have a day off tomorrow and a chance to sweep today.  Every game is important but we also have to play the long game.

6 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Not sure why he wasn’t optioned but I guess they wanted to free up a spot on the 40 man. 

They needed to free up the 40-man spot. They were at 40 but Suarez was not on it. 

I don't think Banuelos will have any problem clearing waivers. 

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

They needed to free up the 40-man spot. They were at 40 but Suarez was not on it. 

I don't think Banuelos will have any problem clearing waivers. 

Okay thanks. I see Bautista is on the 40-man, which is weird since he is on the 60 day IL. What’s the reason for that?

17 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Was the clean inning vs Pittsburgh w/ a 2-1 lead high leverage?

How about the 2 scoreless innings w/ 4 k's in Boston after taking the 7-5 lead?

If there is such a thing as a "leverage index" I think you would find that Akin is below any of the big three. Maybe about even with Webb depending on whether the matchups are RHB or LHB. Tate is the only other guy with options but isn't the type of guy to take one for the team in an extended innings situation. If that happened, you option the guy who is going to be out 3-4 games anyway. Baumann, Webb, and Yohan are all out of options.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If there is such a thing as a "leverage index" I think you would find that Akin is below any of the big three. Maybe about even with Webb depending on whether the matchups are RHB or LHB. Tate is the only other guy with options but isn't the type of guy to take one for the team in an extended innings situation. If that happened, you option the guy who is going to be out 3-4 games anyway. Baumann, Webb, and Yohan are all out of options.

image.thumb.png.cf7c9e88656270488407d438e84db439.png

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Suarez listed as the starter. I guess they wanted a RHP today. Will be interesting to see how this goes. Over/under on innings he can get through?

Hoping for five, but expecting him to not make it through 4. Would be a good day for a rainout.