Terps vs. UVA

sdeclue

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be unfair to say the effort wasn't there but they definitely played tight throughout most of the 2nd half and that pressure combining with naturally being inconsistent is what ultimately cost them the game and their chance at the tourny. What really worries me is if Vasquez leaves along with Neal. Those guys have undoubtedly been the best players this year and the only ones capable of stepping up and hitting some big shots. Next year we're gonna need some guys to make some big steps forward or we'll be right back where we were this year or worse.

Seemed like they just jacked up too many 3's today. When they ran their offense or went to the hoop, it seemed to me that good things happened.

I didn't see the game, but the stat that stands out to me the most was that UMd shot a measly 6 free throws, while UVA attempted 24. Was that a result of the Terps not going to the basket at all, questionable officiating........or both?

I think this is a flawed way to look at it. Either GW is the coach to improve the program or he isn't. One recruit isn't going to change that.

Born Ready instantly gets this team back to the tournament next year. One recruit can change a lot.

Keith Booth, for instance.

I didn't see the game' date=' but the stat that stands out to me the most was that UMd shot a measly 6 free throws, while UVA attempted 24. Was that a result of the Terps not going to the basket at all, questionable officiating........or both?[/quote']

Other than a bad inadvertent whistle which I think they made up for on a questionable jump ball giving Md the ball back, I thought the officiating was fine. I do not think it affected the outcome of the game.

It was an awful shot selection. I'm not denying that at all. I just understand where he was coming from. He was near half court for about 10 seconds and the only guy who even moved was Neal. He wanted the 3PT but the guy was completely overplaying him.

No, I understand what happened too.It certainly wasn't all on him. He panicked and that's why I said Gary should have called the timeout once things got bottled up over in that corner of the court.

Born Ready instantly gets this team back to the tournament next year. One recruit can change a lot.

Keith Booth did not have nearly the effect that Joe Smith had. Smith and the strong sophomore class (Rhodes, Simpkins and Hipp?) is what brought Md back in the mid-90's.

I didn't see the game' date=' but the stat that stands out to me the most was that UMd shot a measly 6 free throws, while UVA attempted 24. Was that a result of the Terps not going to the basket at all, questionable officiating........or both?[/quote']

They naturally take a lot of jumpshots, especially when teams go zone like both Virginia and Wake did the last two games.

But Maryland is probably not going to get born ready.

The only thing right now that can help this team is if Gary Williams leaves. We have one of the worst recruiting classes in the ACC. We need to get rid of those mediocre teams that Gary puts on the floor. It's just going to get worse and worse if Gary Stays. The sad thing is that Gary leaving is probably not going to happen.

My contact at College Park told me this week that Ralph has 1 more year and his replacement takes over. Not 3-4 years from now that some have mentioned. Gary will be back because of his contract. He has enough money people in his corner to keep his job. If it was up to DY (Yow) they would both be gone before our next season starts in both sports. This is very reliable information. If we win 2 at the ACC tournament we will probably be selected for the NCAA tournament if not.......it's NIT time.

We have to end strong or GW could be in trouble. If MD can negotiate a good buyout of GW'S contract a change could happen. The problem is if they can't negotiate a good buyout then we have a coach that knows he isn't #1 with the AD and school and could be difficult to work with down the road. The big question is.....Who will leave first? Gary or Debbie?

My contact at College Park told me this week that Ralph has 1 more year and his replacement takes over. Not 3-4 years from now that some have mentioned. Gary will be back because of his contract. He has enough money people in his corner to keep his job. If it was up to DY (Yow) they would both be gone before our next season starts in both sports. This is very reliable information. If we win 2 at the ACC tournament we will probably be selected for the NCAA tournament if not.......it's NIT time.

We have to end strong or GW could be in trouble. If MD can negotiate a good buyout of GW'S contract a change could happen. The problem is if they can't negotiate a good buyout then we have a coach that knows he isn't #1 with the AD and school and could be difficult to work with down the road. The big question is.....Who will leave first? Gary or Debbie?

ARen't you contradicting yourself here? Regardless of what happens in the ACC tournament, I don't think Gary is going anywhere. Ralph is most likely another story.

Keith Booth did not have nearly the effect that Joe Smith had. Smith and the strong sophomore class (Rhodes, Simpkins and Hipp?) is what brought Md back in the mid-90's.

Keith Booth accepting at Maryland was arguably a more important signing than Joe Smith. Booth was a very highly rated prospect coming out of Baltimore. There was a TON of pressure for Booth to go elsewhere given the enormous influence of Bob Wade. Booth opened up the Baltimore pipeline and gave hope to a program coming off of the death penalty.

Smith was relatively unheralded coming out of high school. He turned out to be a much better player than Booth, but Booth was the more important signing in my opinion.

I'm sure Vegas and Atlantic City were happy with today's result. Do you know anybody that thought Virginia would win today? I don't. It must be Virginia water or something. Do we ever play well down there?

Yes, a friend of mine and I both liked UVa. They have been playing much better recently, Md has a history recently of losing bubble must win games and UVa was at home playing for nothing.

Check one of the earlier threads. I warned Mackus that this game spelled trouble for Md.

Archived