Terps vs. UVA

sdeclue

My contact at College Park told me this week that Ralph has 1 more year and his replacement takes over. Not 3-4 years from now that some have mentioned. Gary will be back because of his contract. He has enough money people in his corner to keep his job. If it was up to DY (Yow) they would both be gone before our next season starts in both sports. This is very reliable information. If we win 2 at the ACC tournament we will probably be selected for the NCAA tournament if not.......it's NIT time.

We have to end strong or GW could be in trouble. If MD can negotiate a good buyout of GW'S contract a change could happen. The problem is if they can't negotiate a good buyout then we have a coach that knows he isn't #1 with the AD and school and could be difficult to work with down the road. The big question is.....Who will leave first? Gary or Debbie?

I don't doubt Yow would fire Gary if she had her way. However, she already has giving him the thumbs up this year and assured our incoming class he would be here next year. Next year is the crucial year. One year closer to the end of his contract and if we miss 3 tournies in a row and 5 of the last 6 I don't think he would survive

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keith Booth accepting at Maryland was arguably a more important signing than Joe Smith. Booth was a very highly rated prospect coming out of Baltimore. There was a TON of pressure for Booth to go elsewhere given the enormous influence of Bob Wade. Booth opened up the Baltimore pipeline and gave hope to a program coming off of the death penalty.

Smith was relatively unheralded coming out of high school. He turned out to be a much better player than Booth, but Booth was the more important signing in my opinion.

Who has come out of the Baltimore pipeline since Booth. Sure, you can say Juan Dixon, but the truth is, Juan did not have too many options coming out of HS because he was not that highly recruited. Who else other than Mosely? Maybe I am forgetting someone. I always thought that Baltimore pipeline thing was way overrated. We still lost Melvin Scott to Carolina, Carmelo to Syracuse, Karcher to Temple and, most recently, Delaney to Va Tech. And, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more who chose not to go to Md.

Who has come out of the Baltimore pipeline since Booth. Sure, you can say Juan Dixon, but the truth is, Juan did not have too many options coming out of HS because he was not that highly recruited. Who else other than Mosely? Maybe I am forgetting someone. I always thought that Baltimore pipeline thing was way overrated. We still lost Melvin Scott to Carolina, Carmelo to Syracuse, Karcher to Temple and, most recently, Delaney to Va Tech. And, I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more who chose not to go to Md.

Here's my question. Early on there seemed to be a belief that Bob Wade, having been fired from Maryland (after nearly killing the program), was trying his damnedest to siphon recruits away from College Park. Then the Booth signing came about and it was supposed to turn things around.

Yet, between him and Mosely as Baltimore POY, who else has been a major recruit coming in from Baltimore?

I wonder if a lot of the issues that have got play recently when it comes to local (Baltimore) players leaving have less to do with Gary Williams and more to do with Bob Wade?

I do not mean to contradict myself. What I am saying is GW will probably save his job because of his big contract but if we lose early in the ACC tournament after losing the final two regular season games things could change quickly. Nobody at College Park likes the NIT. NOBODY. If we lose the NIT it could be very interesting this Spring and Summer. The school doesn't make as much money playing in the NIT as they do playing in the NCAA. The school needs that money. They could decide the loss of TV money justifies a buyout and change of coach. Another problem is DY has promised the parents of the players recruited that GW will be there. If he leaves we could have bailouts of those recruited unless we bring in a big name coach.

I still think Steve Lavin should be on our list of coaches interviewed. Everybody knows him from his UCLA days and network TV analysis. He is also recognized as an excellent recruiter and he has sent a number of players to the NBA. I don't think any recruit would change their mind if he was hired. The school recognizes Gary's shortcomings with recruiting and knows he doesn't have the personality to be a good recruiter. I hope Gary is able to rally his team and get Stephenson for next year. If he is not successful there will be a lot of rumors in the coming months.

It's still amazing to me that the women's basketball team has better shooters than the mens team. GO LADY TERPS!!!

Only name I can recall is Rodney Elliot. He wasn't as highly recruited as Booth, but I think he had his choice of several other Div 1 schools.

I do not mean to contradict myself. What I am saying is GW will probably save his job because of his big contract but if we lose early in the ACC tournament after losing the final two regular season games things could change quickly. Nobody at College Park likes the NIT. NOBODY. If we lose the NIT it could be very interesting this Spring and Summer. The school doesn't make as much money playing in the NIT as they do playing in the NCAA. The school needs that money. They could decide the loss of TV money justifies a buyout and change of coach. Another problem is DY has promised the parents of the players recruited that GW will be there. If he leaves we could have bailouts of those recruited unless we bring in a big name coach.

I still think Steve Lavin should be on our list of coaches interviewed. Everybody knows him from his UCLA days and network TV analysis. He is also recognized as an excellent recruiter and he has sent a number of players to the NBA. I don't think any recruit would change their mind if he was hired. The school recognizes Gary's shortcomings with recruiting and knows he doesn't have the personality to be a good recruiter. I hope Gary is able to rally his team and get Stephenson for next year. If he is not successful there will be a lot of rumors in the coming months.

It's still amazing to me that the women's basketball team has better shooters than the mens team. GO LADY TERPS!!!

Add Craig Robinson to that list.....after what he's done at Oregon State he is going to be a hot commodity after the season. I'm betting he'd listen if UMd called. He's an east coast guy and I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing just up the road from his kid sister's home.

This was a heartbreaker of a game. Team starts out well, goes into a prolonged funk for basically 25 minutes between the two halves, then starts hitting their shots again only too late.

That Vasquez shot at the end deserves some criticism, but on the other hand he has the ball, no one else is getting open, and everyone has been declaring him the savior of the team over the past few weeks. I'm not surprised he took that shot; I just wish that he had either tried to get himself a three chance or driven in sooner.

Once again they went three-point happy and got basically nothing outside of Vasquez and Neal, with a little bit from Milbourne.

So, looking at the standings, we will be playing Miami in the first round of the ACC Tournament, then if we win we play Clemson?

If we win those two games, we definitely make the NCAAs I think, but right now this team could go on an almost-miracle run to win the conference title or get blown out by 20 in the first game. Who knows at this point?

Here's my question. Early on there seemed to be a belief that Bob Wade, having been fired from Maryland (after nearly killing the program), was trying his damnedest to siphon recruits away from College Park. Then the Booth signing came about and it was supposed to turn things around.

Yet, between him and Mosely as Baltimore POY, who else has been a major recruit coming in from Baltimore?

I wonder if a lot of the issues that have got play recently when it comes to local (Baltimore) players leaving have less to do with Gary Williams and more to do with Bob Wade?

If Gary's reputation and prestige doesn't trump Bob Wade's...ya know what I mean?

If Gary's reputation and prestige doesn't trump Bob Wade's...ya know what I mean?

Gary's reputation and prestige trump most high school or AAU coaches. Who do players tend to listen to for advice?

Wade is the AD for the entire city school system. He's got to have some influence.

Add Craig Robinson to that list.....after what he's done at Oregon State he is going to be a hot commodity after the season. I'm betting he'd listen if UMd called. He's an east coast guy and I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing just up the road from his kid sister's home.

Add Jeff Capel to that list. I know he has two All-Americans coming in to Oklahoma, but he loses the Griffins and talk is that Willie Warren also may be leaving. It may be perfect timing.

I wonder if playing against Coack K twice every year would impact his decision.

Add Jeff Capel to that list. I know he has two All-Americans coming in to Oklahoma, but he loses the Griffins and talk is that Willie Warren also may be leaving. It may be perfect timing.

I wonder if playing against Coack K twice every year would impact his decision.

I don't think he will jump and I don't think Oregon St.'s coach will jump either.

Sean Miller from Xavier. I heard the other night that he promised Xavier he would stay until his first recruiting class graduates. That is this year. It is the perfect time.

Big fear -- Jamie Dixon to Arizona. Sean Miller to Pitt. If Miller doesn't go to Pitt, then I want him here. I love Gary, but we need to make a change. There just isn't enough talent and at a program with the facilities and the pedigree (which Gary built) we should be doing better.

I don't think he will jump and I don't think Oregon St.'s coach will jump either.

Sean Miller from Xavier. I heard the other night that he promised Xavier he would stay until his first recruiting class graduates. That is this year. It is the perfect time.

Big fear -- Jamie Dixon to Arizona. Sean Miller to Pitt. If Miller doesn't go to Pitt, then I want him here. I love Gary, but we need to make a change. There just isn't enough talent and at a program with the facilities and the pedigree (which Gary built) we should be doing better.

Not to mention all of the talent right there in UM's backyard.

And don't be so sure about Robinson not leaving if an attractive offer comes along. Word out here is that he is very quietly questioning OSU's commitment level to the program, namely building a practice facility since they have to compete for court time now, and said courts aren't up to the level of other Pac-10 schools.

Gary's reputation and prestige trump most high school or AAU coaches. Who do players tend to listen to for advice?

Wade is the AD for the entire city school system. He's got to have some influence.

Are you really suggesting that HS kids would be more impressed with the advice of their AD over a coach with a NC banner flying in his arena? Seriously? When I played HS sports I had no idea who the AD even was...

I'm sure Vegas and Atlantic City were happy with today's result. Do you know anybody that thought Virginia would win today? I don't. It must be Virginia water or something. Do we ever play well down there?

They played well back when we had good basketball teams going 7 or more years back now....this was the type of game where natural talent would take over for a road win against an inferior opponent. The problem is they don't have any of that. Playing Virginia only started to become a house of horrors when Gary started recruiting crappy basketball players. Minus the Curtis Staples days, it pretty much started with the Nic Caner-Medley and Travis Garrison class and has continued...

Archived